• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripods/heads (1 Viewer)

Sandy Martin

Great to see you on Birdforum.net.
I was wondering what tripod legset and heads you use for your photography.

I would expect that you have several heads for different situations, perhaps you could explain the pros & cons of the various types for the wildlife and nature photographer.

I expect you are rather busy, so I won't be expecting a rapid response.

Thanks in advance,
S.M.

Sandy, thanks for your patience. I have quite a bit to say on this subject so I don't think I will be able to reply fully until after the Bird Fair. But if you are considering buying a tripod - DON'T until you see my response.

Thanks for the question. George

Tripods

It is well known that one of the secrets to producing sharp pictures is to use a tripod and most photographers I know would agree on this. However simply knowing this fact is not, in its self, enough. The real secret, or you could say the pros’ secret, is using the 'RIGHT' tripod for the job. Time and time again I see clients on my workshops turning up with tripods that are far too flimsy and lightweight and consequently totally useless. They have wasted their money and will continue to waste film pursuing sharp images that they will never get all the time the carry on using these inadequate supports.

For the majority of my work I use two different types of tripods and they are totally different. For my general all round use i.e. plants, insects, snakes etc I use a Uni-Loc 1200 (virtually the same as a Benbo) that was designed specifically for nature photography by a nature photographer many years ago. To-date I have not seen one better. With this tripod I am perfectly confident using lenses up to 300mm.

For lenses in the 400mm - 600mm range then I want something even sturdier and here my choice is the carbon fibre Gitzo 1548 with NO centre column. This is the most rock solid support and best tripod you can buy in my opinion especially if you aspire to bird photography. Why no centre column? Simply because you don’t need one! This tripod will go up to six feet so why have something you don’t need. Remember when you raise the centre column on your tripod you effectively are turning it into a three-legged monopod. OK I know that’s a slight exaggeration but think about it. What you are certainly doing is reducing its stability and therefore the chances of getting those tack sharp shots we bird photographers crave.

The tripod head is also critical and on both tripods I use Kirk ball & sockets. I used to use Arca heads until I saw the Kirk version along with their unique custom made camera and lens plates. Why ball and sockets as apposed to pan & tilt heads?
Speed!
Why tighten up three screws when you can get the same result with one?

For action and flight work I replace the ball head on the big Gitzo with a full blown Wimberly.

Along with beanbags these are my standard means of supporting my cameras and lenses. There are plenty of other questions that arise on this issue but that’s up to all of you to come up with!

Good to meet so many of you that said hello at the Bird Fair this weekend.

Thanks for the question. George

Hi George,
Thanks for the detailed and informative reply, much food for thought.
I hear that your stand did a roaring trade at the BBWF, well deserved.
Thanks.

Interesting to hear the thoughts of George on tripods

FWIW I put quite a long thread in the camera supports section which you might find interested Sandy, which talks about other forums of support you might like to consider. I hope it gives some other ideas.
P

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back