• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lost looking for a tripod (1 Viewer)

P&Y

Hello, If anyone can offer some advise I would greatly appreciate it! I made the rookie move of purchasing the best scope I could afford (Pentax PF-80ED) and skimped on the tripod/head. I went with a Vanguard Alta 2 OS a local retailer suggested. The tripod seems to work well with the scope but the head allows the front of the scope to raise when I attempt to lock on a target and focus. Grrr it's frustrating! I really like the set up as the window mount is always there but I cannot deal with the constant creep!

Question is does anyone have a suggestion as to a quality window mount style head that could be used with my existing tripod? Or should I scrap my set up for a new one? If so, what would your recommend? (I need a set up that can transition from tripod to window mount quickly)

Thanks so much for taking the time and offering suggestion! This will be my third attempt at a good base for my scope and I want to finally do it right. I also apologize if my terminology is incorrect, I am nothing more than a novice.

If the tripod itself works for you (stable) and the center column accepts standard tripod heads from other brands (e.g. manfrotto RC128, or other video head) I would keep the tripod and get a decent pan head to replace the current window mount.
Manfrotto for example offers a quick release adapter plate that could be attached to your window mount, and with the quick release system it would be a snap to switch the scope from the tripod head to the window mount.
However, good tripod heads cost good money, and those heads come with a pricetag that exceeds easily the price for a tripod/head combo like the one you own now. However, down the road if the tripod turns out to be not what you want you already own a good head and would have only to shop and pay for new legs.

UH

Thank you, I figured this is what someone more knowlegable would suggest. The head actually attaches to my tripod by use of the window mount so even if the quick detach doesn't work I should be ok. Thanks.

If the tripod itself works for you (stable) and the center column accepts standard tripod heads from other brands (e.g. manfrotto RC128, or other video head) I would keep the tripod and get a decent pan head to replace the current window mount.
Manfrotto for example offers a quick release adapter plate that could be attached to your window mount, and with the quick release system it would be a snap to switch the scope from the tripod head to the window mount.
However, good tripod heads cost good money, and those heads come with a pricetag that exceeds easily the price for a tripod/head combo like the one you own now. However, down the road if the tripod turns out to be not what you want you already own a good head and would have only to shop and pay for new legs.

UH

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but are these "tripod heads" universal fit? I've an old manfrotto tripod with a quick release type clamp head. I need a tripod adaptor to get my scope (it's "screw-on") to fit to the tripod.

Hope you got that, I'm more into birds than technology to tell you the truth!

I take that you need another quick release adapter plate to mount your scope.
You can get extra plates, at least from and for the major brands, but they are not universal. Each brand uses their own system, and Manfrotto has a couple of different size and shapes for different size and use tripod heads.
So you will need to know which one fits your tripod head. Shape and size should allow to determine this, or the model number of your tripod head.

UH

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back