• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Clockwise towards infinity (and beyond) (1 Viewer)

Kevin Purcell

I just noticed playing with my Zeiss Victory 8x40 yesterday that the focus is anti-clockwise towards infinity. It took me more than 6 months to realize this (clearly I'm a bit slow) but it explains some feelings of "this isn't quite right" I had with this bin.

My compact Zeiss Victory, Zeiss FLs and Zeiss Conquest all focus clockwise towards infinity.

I noticed some other comments here about the compact Design Selection bin that focuses "the wrong way" i.e. anti-clockwise.

Which direction did earlier Zeiss bins focus?

Was anti-clockwise focusing a Design Selection and Victory era aberation or a Zeiss tradition?

Or did Zeiss changes when they went to the most recent ranges of bins?

What about Swaro and Leica? Does their focusing direction have an impact on this choice. I could imagine all of these focus in the same direction so as not to stand out (for an immediate rejection).

Thank,
Kevin "dammit, wrong way" Purcell

ooh ooh!, do I get to call you "Wrong Way Purcell" from now on? :-O

I can't contribute to the Zeiss question but I just did a quick survey of my current stable and here's a report.

Nikon HG15 Monocular, Nikon Prostaff 8x25, Fujinon AR-SX 6x30 (IF), Fujinon FMT-SX 16x70 (IF), Leica Trinovid 8x32BN, Leica 7x42 Uvid, Nikon ED50 spotting scope, Pentax PF80 spotting scope all focus clockwise to infinity.

Only my Browning 8x32s focus anti-clockwise. I have to confess though, that I've never noticed before. It's pretty evident that anti-clockwise is the odd duck.

added: I was just on the phone with my brother and had him check his Bushnell 7x42 Discoverers and Pentax SPs. Both are anti-clockwise. These ducks, suddenly, are getting less odd.

Last edited:
clockwise to infinity

Hi Kevin

Just wanted to say that's the best title I've ever read on BF - not that I've ever been bothered before but it just stood out. Catchy and mysterious - I had no idea what it meant for a good few seconds. What say a Tom Cruise movie within 5 years!

Hmmm... clockwise to infinity, clockwise to infinity....

Maybe by using anti-clockwise bins, en masse, we can slow the progression of time!

I'd actually being thinking about posting since yesterday but edz comment (on another thread) were he said he had more anticlockwise bins struck me as odd (though for an astronomer it's not an issue ... focus on infinity and leave it there).

I did loose a potential tern with quite big black wing tip (it probably wasn't a gull) recently by making it go from blurry to very very blurry just before it flew out of sight.

Amongst my collection I have mostly clockwise (hence I finally noticed the Victory was different) except all my Pentax (company consistency) and a Celestron porro.

So back to Zeiss ...

Given the way the Victory was "welcomed" I was wondering if this was another thing that annoyed loyal Zeissians or (more likely) if Zeiss made the switch later to drop into line with the other top bin makers.

My Zeiss Dialyt 10x40 BGAT (1992) focuses clockwise to infinity, like the Victory FL, so this is not related to the age of the binoculars.
I have read that the 20x60 S also focuses anti clockwise.

The Nikon 12x50 SE, Canon 12x36 IS II, Canon 10x42 IS and Pentax Papilio 6.5x21 focus clockwise to infinity.
The very cheap Meade 10x50 focuses anti clockwise, and I find this feature really annoying.

Jean-Charles

Hi,
The following Zeiss focus clockwise to infinity:
8x50B c.1969
8x30B Dialyt, c1975
and a Swarovski 8x30 c.1957
John

I feel compelled to relate that my B&L 7x42 Discoverer focuses backwards (cc to infinity) and it was the 1st bino I ever saw that did. Also, the Swift Audobon roof (HHS), Garrett 20x80 TWP CF and Pentax 8x32 SP do the same. All the others in the arsenal (Zeiss FL's, Nikon SE's, Canon 15x50, B&L 7x26 and Swift 820) are conventional (clockwise). Likewise, both Pentax scopes, 65 & 80, are clockwise.

The only conclusion I can draw from this anomoly is that the particular engineers who designed the mechanicals of the individual glasses were southpaws.

I'll have to double check later but I'm sure my old 1970 vintage Zeiss Dialy 8x30b binoculars focus anti-clockwise to infinity, and when I had my Pentax 8x36 DCF HS bins they did to. I'll have to check the other binoculars I have to see which way they focus too!

Hi,
The following Zeiss focus clockwise to infinity:
8x50B c.1969
8x30B Dialyt, c1975
and a Swarovski 8x30 c.1957

My Zeiss Dialyt 10x40 BGAT (1992) focuses clockwise to infinity, like the Victory FL, so this is not related to the age of the binoculars.

I have read that the 20x60 S also focuses anti clockwise.

And the Zeiss Diascopes focus anti-clockwise to infinity :-(

So is this mostly "clockwise to infinity" in the early models and the most recent models except for the Design Selection and the original Victory. And the still current Diascopes and stabilized 20x60 S bin.

Wow, those 1990s and early 2000 models must have annoyed really annoyed old Zeiss users.

What about Leicas?

What were they thinking?

I've found that most expensive binos, especially top-end models from the "alpha" brands (including Nikon Venturer, Zeiss Classic, all Leica and Swarovski I've ever tried) focus clockwise to infinity. Cheaper binos are more evenly divided between clockwise and counterclockwise. B&L/Bushnell was notorious for its lack of consistency w/respect to focus direction, even switching between subsequent generations of custom compacts and elites. And yes, I did find Zeiss's momentary switch to counterclockwise annoying.

As I've mentioned before on threads on this topic, as a right-handed focuser, I much prefer clockwise to infinity because proper focusing/refocusing (i.e. bringing the bino to precise focus by moving focus from in front of the object of interest up to it--doing this is easier on the eyes than the reverse) is thus done by first pushing the focus knob to bring focus too close, then pulling it the precise amount to adjust it to perfection. Pulling the knob can be done more precisely than pushing it (especially if the focus is stiff), so I think clockwise is a superior design for folks like me who primarily use the fingers on the right hand when focusing.

--AP

I stand corrected - just tried my 8x30b Dialyts and they focus clockwise to infinity! Just tried all my current binoculars and these are the results:

Clockwise to infinity: CZJ Turactem 8x24 (circa 1930), CZJ Jenoptem 10x50 (m/c, circa 1979), USSR KOMZ BNU5 8x30 (1986#0, USSR ZOMZ 12x40 (1977?), Zeiss West 8x30b Dialyt (1970), Leica Trinovid 10x32BN (2001/2?), old '60s/70s GreenKat 25x50 spotting scope.

Anticlockwise to infinity: Bresser 'Lidl' 10x50 (current), Minox 8x32 BD BR (2004?).

Not sure if you want to inclide monoculars/IF bins in this?

Just checked, the Steiner Peregrine XPs are CCwise to infinity. Opposite of my other binos, but since they are open-bridge design I use my fingers from both hands and can push either way. It is weird that this is not standardized. Oh well, it exercises the brains hand eye coordination.

I thought I knew the direction of each of the bins in my collection but a check has shown the my Bushnell Elite and Leupold Cascades porro are all anti-clockwise to infinity. I wouldn't have guessed that.

All the bins that I think are "fine" but have an issue with. OK, each has another issue too but I'm sure those ones give me a subconscious feeling of being off.

Perhaps I need two shelves ... one for each direction.

I just checked a dozen differnt binoculars.

6 went clockwise and 6 went counter clockwise

All four of my roof prisms went counter-clockwise to infinity.
Celestron Regal LX, ZRS, Legend and Oberwerk roofs

all five of my individual focus porros went clockwise to infinity

all my Pentax porros went counter clocwise.

Last edited:
From my binocular stash:

Clockwise:
ZEN ED
Promaster ELX ED
Atlas Intrepid (from comparison notes from review)
B&L 7x26 Custom
Swift Eaglet 7x25 #731
Swift 8x40 Nighthawk
Swift 8.5x44 Audubon 804
CZJ Jenoptem

Counter clockwise:
Bushnell EX 7x36
Eagle Optics Raven
Leupold 7/12x32 Switch Power
Leupold Yosemite
Nikon Monarch
Swift Eaglet 7x36
Vortex Diamondback
Vortex Viper
ZRS HD

Last edited:
Once again Steve points out another two bins I have that are CCW (Eaglet and Yosemite).

Clearly I have a preference for CW but my mind has blocked out all the bins I own that are CCW.

So it seems this is still almost random and not uniform even with manufacturers like Nikon (e.g. the Nikon Action EX is CW but as SteveC says the Monarch is CCW). I presume for the Nikon top of the line range though they're all CW?

I suspect for single bin users this isn't an issue (just learnt he one you have and worry about transitions to the next bin in a decade). With a collection/selection it's a pain.

Thanks for all contributions.

For the IFs everyone uses the same screw thread!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back