• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Companion CL 8X30 a second class? (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello,
Compared to the Conquest 8X30 HD / Terra ED / Victory FL. model, can we say that the Companion CL 8X30 would be on a lower floor? How could we order these models in increasing quality?

First the Victory FL./ second the Conquest / 3rd Terra ED and last the CL Companion ?? or am I wrong?
Thank you
Wachi

Last edited:
Hi Wachi,

If you are referring to the new CL companion, then IMHO its the best 8x30 roof period, a bold claim ?, I don`t think so, and it can frighten many a top end 8x32.

John.

Hello,
Compared to the Conquest 8X30 HD / Terra ED / Victory FL. model, can we say that the Companion CL 8X30 would be on a lower floor? How could we order these models in increasing quality?

First the Victory FL./ second the Conquest / 3rd Terra ED and last the CL Companion ?? or am I wrong?
Thank you
Wachi

Wachi,

Don't confuse the older Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 with the new Swarovski CL Companion 8x30B which is a much better binocular.

Here is how I would rank them although I haven't used the 1st 2; the FL or the Conquest. They are both quality 8x32s and the Zeiss 8x32 is an"Alpha."

I own and have used the other 4 I have listed.

1st: Zeiss Victory 8x32 FL. (Allbinos ranks it #2 in the 8x32 class.) 2nd Zeiss 8x32 Conquest. (Allbinos ranks it #8 in the 8x32 class.) 3rd Swaro CL Companion 8x30B. 4th Zeiss 8x32 Terra ED. 5th Swaro CL companion 8x30 and 6th Nikon Monarch 7 8x30.

Bob

PS: I rated the Monarch 7 8x30 last because I get occasional brief blackouts from it if my eye position isn't perfect.

Last edited:
How does it differ from the old one? better optical and mecanical quality? price?
Thank you
Wachi.

It has a much wider FOV and a redesigned eye piece which makes eye placement while using it much easier. I can put the eye cups back into my eye sockets or brace them on my brow ridge because of this new design.

Eye Relief is longer and I get no blackouts when I use it and it controls glare much better.

The mechanical quality is excellent in both models.

Its price is about $300.00 more than the older model and it is worth it.

You will have to try it against the old models. The difference will surprise you.

Bob

Last edited:
How you would rate different binocular will very much depend on your priorities. Just on centre sharpness, I'd probably put the new CL just a fraction in front of the Conquest HD but behind the ELSV. The old CL would be below the Monarch 7. Most samples of the Terra I've tried were pretty poor, but they are variable and one or two have been good. That one is a lottery.

The old CL's colour wasn't bad, but for me, the new one seemed to have an even better colour balance than the ELSV, but couldn't match it for contrast.

If you are looking for FoV, field flatness, CA or other features, you might come up with quite a different ranking. If I had that kind of money for a smaller binocular, the new CL would be top of my wish list, but I'm hoping we might see some others in the race later this year.

David

The Zeiss Conquest 8X30 HD you mentioned is actually a 8X32.

My personal preferences of the ones you mentioned, in order of most favorable:

1st: Zeiss 8X32 FL.
2nd: Zeiss 8X32 Conquest HD - close to the FL but a little heavy for some.
3rd: Swaro Companion CL-II 8X30 - Excellent optically but the new diopter design is a no go for me.
4th: 8X32 Terra - a noticeable step down from the above but an acceptable lower price entry binocular.

The prior Swaro CL does not make my list because the quality of the view for me is just not there for the money being asked.

Thank you for your comments, all of them very interesting.
Just out of curiosity, if we wanted to place on that list a joint model such as the Swarovski Habicht 8X30, where would it be, if we rated the image quality in terms of sharpness, brightness and contrast? Can a model like this, designed some time ago, still compete with 21st century models?
Thanks again
Wachi

I just saw on the official website of Swarovski the new model and well ... what are those protuberances that it has on the sides? I do not know, if they really can get to bother or bother in the hands ....

I just saw on the official website of Swarovski the new model and well ... what are those protuberances that it has on the sides? I do not know, if they really can get to bother or bother in the hands ....

They are the "locks" for Swarovski's new method of attaching the Neck Strap to the binocular. They rotate and make it easy to remove any twists in the straps.

There is plenty of room on the objective tubes for your hands to hold the binocular but it is possible that they could bother a user who has very large hands.

Bob

...They rotate and make it easy to remove any twists in the straps...

The way I see it, they rotate and therefore make it _easy to get twists_ in the straps! I prefer traditional lugs.

If Swarovski continues this new approach to strap lugs, I suggest altering the design to allow a maximum of ~270 degrees of rotation.

--AP

The way I see it, they rotate and therefore make it _easy to get twists_ in the straps! I prefer traditional lugs.

If Swarovski continues this new approach to strap lugs, I suggest altering the design to allow a maximum of ~270 degrees of rotation.

--AP

I prefer traditional lugs too.

I was getting frustrated with the twisting of the straps on my CL Companion 8x30B when I discovered that if I would spin the right strap in the right direction the twist would come out of it. All it usually takes is one spin and both straps match up. I have the rain guard attached only to the left strap where it dangles while not in use.

Bob

Last edited:
wachipilotes,
There is a test report of the new CL Companion on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor under VERREKIJKERS and VERREKIJKERS TESTEN EN VERGELIJKEN. Comparison with the "old" CL Companion is part of it. In my opinion the new Companion is an excellent compact binocular.
Gijs van Ginkel

I was thinking today whilst using my CL that the focus diopter system used on this may be adopted for the next EL when it comes.

It is without question the best Swarovski focus I`v owned or used, silky smooth with zero stiction, perfectly weighted with equal tension in both directions, the tiniest correction can be applied with no effort, stiction and backlash free.

Of course there`s no need for the little spring to prevent diopter creep, and Swarovski must at least be aware of the complaints about their focussers on forums like this.

It has a much wider FOV and a redesigned eye piece which makes eye placement while using it much easier. I can put the eye cups back into my eye sockets or brace them on my brow ridge because of this new design.

Eye Relief is longer and I get no blackouts when I use it and it controls glare much better.

The mechanical quality is excellent in both models.

Its price is about $300.00 more than the older model and it is worth it.

You will have to try it against the old models. The difference will surprise you.

Bob

Yes Bob, the newer model is much better than the old CL from my eyes. I'm currently using it as my main bino and the 8x32 and 10x42 EL is the backup for the time being

I finally got a chance to spend a few hours with the new CL, an 8x30 model. Optically, and mechanically, it is a very nice binocular. At the end of my time with them, I determined that I just cannot get along with the small diameter eyepieces, much the same size as the meopta meostar.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back