• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2016 (2 Viewers)

And me . . . there's usually Song Thrush and Chiffchaff singing within earshot of the house, but not this year yet. Failing this, should get Chiffy with post-juvenile dispersal in Aug, and Songy on migration in late Sept.

At long last, the Chiffy that's been on territory down the road for the last 3 months, was audible from the front garden this morning - a combination of it singing right on the N edge of its territory, and an S wind to carry the sound :t:

36 Chiffchaff

Saw my first of this year the end of April, and juveniles have been everywhere lately, including two that flew over this morning - 35 Golden Oriole

Chris

As you have a degree in mathematics perhaps you could explain how 78 Cedar Waxwing follows 76 Yellow-billed Cuckoo.;)
Eek.....and this is why you should never be on any form of social media with your parents - they check stuff!

Turns out I had missed Veery from my list, so that was actually number 75, and the subsequent birds all needed bumping down the list. 78 still right. Ho hum.

Eek.....and this is why you should never be on any form of social media with your parents - they check stuff!

Turns out I had missed Veery from my list, so that was actually number 75, and the subsequent birds all needed bumping down the list. 78 still right. Ho hum.

I'll let you off then. Nothing new here yet but I have been away a lot.

Hello .
Seeing as always lots of birds all day and every day in my garden and overhead
but have had no new ones to add to my list for months.
Hope some of you have lovely hot weather like here at moment.

Last edited:
Hello All,

Like Brenda, I'm seeing lots of to-ing and fro-ing of birds but no signs of early migrants yet. Still, after the species being absent hereabouts for the whole of the first half of the year, I finally have starting hearing that glip glip call and have also managed to see:

73 Crossbill

The first addition to the Garden Year list for 60 days! Now for the first Willow Warbler I hope!

79 American Redstart, small mixed groups of warblers starting to pass through now, but with many more leaves on the trees, paired with trickier ids from non-breeding plumage, not sure whether i'll add many more!

Almost forgot...perhaps my last Swift yesterday? in company with circa 5 House Martin and a single Sand Martin...no.66!

Surely a week or two for the Swifts yet, Ken? Here the young are jus out of the nest - & I hope will be providing Hobby food for a while!

Surely a week or two for the Swifts yet, Ken? Here the young are jus out of the nest - & I hope will be providing Hobby food for a while!

Broadly speaking you're right H....although generally speaking most of our local Swifts do the off! about now. That said, many years ago I had a single bird that appeared early evening for about a week...last seen on Sep.11th!

Been somewhat distracted from checking my home plot this summer, but a nice treeful this week - in one large mostly dead oak, a family of Nutcrackers on a lower branch, youngster begging for food; on the trunk midway up, family of Grey-headed Woodpeckers, youngsters squawking, on a branch near the top, family of Golden Orioles peering around!

No new species though.

Been somewhat distracted from checking my home plot this summer, but a nice treeful this week - in one large mostly dead oak, a family of Nutcrackers on a lower branch, youngster begging for food; on the trunk midway up, family of Grey-headed Woodpeckers, youngsters squawking, on a branch near the top, family of Golden Orioles peering around!

No new species though.

Nice!

We have moved(but not yet sold), we're still making maintenance visits to the garden so the list is still ticking!
Today saw the first sign of migration:
74 Willow Warbler

Strictly an autumn migrant through our patch,two or three appeared today.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back