• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Puerto Pollensa?first week oct,flamingoes?hope so (1 Viewer)

malgringo

after many great ideas on forum where to go in oct have decided on puerto polensa a lot was to do with price on other ideas given and seem to have got the best i could afford at this time so what i would like to ask is what are the chances of seeing flamingoes as this is a dream of mine to see them in wild?

Chances not high.
I've seen a few at the small salinas to the east of the S'Albufera entrance but have never seen them in the S'Albufera itself or at Albufereta (though they still might be possible). I think the best site for Gt Flamingo on Mallorca is in the extreme south-east of the island at Salinas de Levante -a bit of a drive from P.Pollensa but might be worth it for you.
Here is an excellent fairly recent trip report from a relevant time of the year for you: www.realbirder.com/Mallorca2005.htm

I'm going to alcudia the first week of october, might see you there!

I've seen a whole flock of flamingos flying across alcudia bay before now, however that was in may, not this late. Never say never however

There was just 1 flamingo at Alberfura in early Oct 2003, when we were there. Other highlights included Night Heron, Little Bittern, Purple Heron, GW Egret, Glossy and Sacred Ibis, Moustached Warbler, probable Aquatic Warbler, Hoopoe, Purple Gallinule, Black Winged Stilt etc.

Thay'd be a dead cert at Salina de Levante but quite unusual at S'Albufera at this time of year. It's only about an hours drive (with a good navigator) and is well worth the visit.

You should see plenty from "Eddie's Track" - down the side of the spa hotel. In addition find the parking spot on the beach road and get good scope views across the working salinas.

You can return via Porto Colom where I've regualarly enjoyed Corys and Balearic Shearwater from the cliffs. Pallid Swifts will have gone by then though.

Besides this there could be good migration under way through the island so anything might turn up depending on the weather.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back