• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sell my 70-300VR for a Bigma? (1 Viewer)

fairywren

Hi all, my first post here :)

I have a Nikon D80 and the longest lens I currently have is the Nikkor 70-300VR. I've never really got any outstanding bird shots with this when used at 300mm (due to the birds still being too far away) and I now want something with more reach.

Although I'd kind of like to keep the 70-300 for traveling and for the VR aspect, Im leaning towards selling it to fund the new lens I want - either the sigma 50-500 or 150-500

If I sell I'll have an extra $500-$600 in my pocket to put towards the new lens, or I could just cut my losses and keep it.

On that note if you had to buy today, would you choose the 50-500 or 150-500? Tough call I know :)

Thanks o:D

Hi all, my first post here :)

I have a Nikon D80 and the longest lens I currently have is the Nikkor 70-300VR. I've never really got any outstanding bird shots with this when used at 300mm (due to the birds still being too far away) and I now want something with more reach.

Although I'd kind of like to keep the 70-300 for traveling and for the VR aspect, Im leaning towards selling it to fund the new lens I want - either the sigma 50-500 or 150-500

If I sell I'll have an extra $500-$600 in my pocket to put towards the new lens, or I could just cut my losses and keep it.

On that note if you had to buy today, would you choose the 50-500 or 150-500? Tough call I know :)

Thanks o:D
Hi,
Not exactly a tough call, I have the 50-500mm Bigma and cannot fault it in any way. I love the range it offers combined with the excellent build quality its a winner every time.
Cheers
Brian
Ps have you thought of getting a teleconverter for the Nikkor? cheaper option and you get to keep the Nikkor for travelling (the bigma is a heavy beast for carrying around)

Hi fairywren I have the bigma on a pentax K10 Its a good lens but a little slow @f6.3
The 150-500 has the advantage of OS but I haven't alot of photos from the lens and none comparing the 2

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back