• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finding birds in north Texas in fall (1 Viewer)

nctexasbirder

young birder
Hello everyone. What species of uncommon or rarer seen birds can be found in the habitats of north central Texas that have more dense wooded forestland during the fall migration season? Which spots in north Texas are the most visited and birded? How many birds are usually seen or found in the north central Texas region annually? What resources, printed and online, can be used to find and record the birdlife of this region in the early 21st century? Thanks,

Justin Jahn

American young birder North Texas

Sorry about your lack of replies. We used to have a very knowledgeable birder, Steve Gross, who always helped with these sort of questions, but he passed away last December. I've not yet been to the area you are interested in, but try out the suggestion from Andrew about eBird.

Just in case you're not familiar with this new feature of eBird, open this page: http://ebird.org/ebird/hotspots

Then, in the box at top left, enter this name, as an example: Nacogdoches. You will several several examples of hotspots around that area - click on one of them. A label for that Hotspot will open, giving you lots of info about sightings, bar charts, directions, etc. Then you can zoom out on the map and see all the Hotspots for that area of Texas. Click on any of them and you'll see all the info you need about that place.

Hope I've explained that OK!! Good luck.

Justin, I am not sure exactly where you are located, but we do not have a great deal of densely wooded areas in NC TX unfortunately. There are patches like the Heard (in McKinney), LLELA (in Lewisville), Cedarhill State Park (not very birdy), Ft Worth Nature Center. Then there are some city parks that are fairly wooded - Bob Woodruff in Allen (it may be in Richardson, I cannot remember), Campion Trails (in Irving), River Legacy in Arlington, etc. As far as books (aside from a couple of good field guides), I would recommend the new TOS Handbook of the Birds of Texas. If you are after historical data "Birds of North Central Texas" by Pulich may be of interest. He also published a book on Tarrant county. I have both and value them.

As far as rare birds in NCTX, we don't have any particular species that winters here that is rare. Not sure exactly what you are after, but reading the Texbirds list serve is often a great source of information about rarities or unusual species, as are the Ft Worth & Dallas Audubon web sites. They are interactive. You can also check Facebook Texbirds for info. As far as most birded spots - eBird will be the best source of info for this.

Your requests almost make me think you are doing a paper! I hope this helped some.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back