• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

High speed video of birds, revealing colours and natural mechanics... (1 Viewer)

Zathras

Hello!

I've taken a look around the forum and couldn't see much about capturing wild birds in slow motion using high speed video. Are there people on here interested in this area?
There are clearly some great photographers here looking through the gallery.

I find it's a great way of demonstrating the wonderful movements that birds can achieve and shows of their colours as the light changes angle.

Obviously lighting is absolutely key to high speed recording and I'm very much interested in discussing peoples tips for the best approaches, especially given the limitations in consumer technology at the moment. Personally I'm using a Casio Exilim EX-F1 that is 3 years old but it still seems about as good as it gets for consumer high speed video.

Has anybody managed to capture unusable bird behaviour, in slow motion?
I'm pretty pleased with this footage of the Robin in our garden hovering to eat from a suet block.
Slow Motion Hovering Robin Close Up

Recently managed to catch an Egyptian gosling stretching it's wings, which shows of the colours developing beautifully.
Slow Motion Egyptian Gosling Flapping

Getting good focus has been very difficult at times because of the high shutter speeds and getting good enough light in the UK is certainly a problem.
What are other peoples experiences?

I've completely failed to get the Kingfisher nearby as its just too fast.
What birds have you managed to capture?

Take Care, Mike.

Last edited:
I love your Robin video. I have seen a bird as big as a Varied Thrush do that. It is good to see it in slow motion!

Alan

Those are excellent and so interesting. Don't forget you can upload videos to Birdforum TV too - you will reach a wide audience. :t:

alancairns said:
I love your Robin video. I have seen a bird as big as a Varied Thrush do that. It is good to see it in slow motion!

Cheers, glad you liked it - I've posted another one below. I've not seen a Thrush hover quite like this Robin but I'm going to keep an eye out for them.

Those are excellent and so interesting. Don't forget you can upload videos to Birdforum TV too - you will reach a wide audience. :t:
I discovered the Birdforum TV site and it's great, I started uploading some straight away and were online same day as posting here. :t:

Some of my more notable new footage is published here -
Hovering Robin in Slow Motion
Slow Motion Pigeon Landings
Slow Motion Pigeon Fight
Goslings Attacked in Slow Motion

I'll get them over on Birdforum TV soon too. |:D|

Well done Zathras, I must say that I am really impressed with your footage...keep up the good work:clap:! You should try to get such awesome high speend footage of a Kestrel hovering in flight or of migrating herons ro cranes in V formation up close:t::t:! Cheers

Well done Zathras, I must say that I am really impressed with your footage...keep up the good work:clap:! You should try to get such awesome high speend footage of a Kestrel hovering in flight or of migrating herons ro cranes in V formation up close:t::t:! Cheers
Cheers, I'm pretty pleased with some of those captures as it's taken a while to get the hang of high speed filming.

Just wish I had more time to get outside to do even more.

Not seen many Kestrels around here, but did have a Sparrowhawk visit our garden briefly the other day. I wasn't nearly quick enough to catch it chasing my Robin off through the bushes. :eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back