• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EL 8x32 SV vs 8x32 SE (1 Viewer)

ChadHahn

I got my demo EL 8x32 SVs from Camera Land yesterday and was able to do a little comparison of them against the Nikon 8x32 SEs.

I think the Swaros are a slightly nicer pair of binoculars. They are slightly brighter, have a slightly larger field of view and most importantly, I don't have to prop them on my eyebrows to prevent black outs.

The difference between them optically is slight and if you have a pair of Nikons you wouldn't gain much by getting the Swarovskis and if you are shopping between the two the Nikon is hard to beat, especially for the price.

However, the Swarovskis are very nice. They are more weather resistant than the Nikons (which could probably take more than people think they can), come with a camera adapter and have a nice flat sharp view.

I would think that anyone would be happy with either binocular or even happier with both. :)

Chad

Thanks for the comparison Chad. I have the SE and really like it. I tried out the SV 8x32 last weekend for a few minutes at the Audobon center and boy it's really nice. I just love the open bridge and the overall fit and feel. It's light, pretty, elegant and has an outstanding view of course. But, jeez...it's soooo darn expensive. I'll stick with what I have. I have the swaro CL too which is a nice little bin. Part of me wishes that I saved and bought one really nice binocular like the SV instead of having a few, but on the other hand it is nice to have a mini-collection (it's fun).

Last edited:
I don't know if they still have them, but Camera Land had a good deal on some demos. Still crazy expensive for binoculars but cheap for Swarovskis. :)

Chad

I got my demo EL 8x32 SVs from Camera Land yesterday and was able to do a little comparison of them against the Nikon 8x32 SEs.

I think the Swaros are a slightly nicer pair of binoculars. They are slightly brighter, have a slightly larger field of view and most importantly, I don't have to prop them on my eyebrows to prevent black outs.

The difference between them optically is slight and if you have a pair of Nikons you wouldn't gain much by getting the Swarovskis and if you are shopping between the two the Nikon is hard to beat, especially for the price.

However, the Swarovskis are very nice. They are more weather resistant than the Nikons (which could probably take more than people think they can), come with a camera adapter and have a nice flat sharp view.

I would think that anyone would be happy with either binocular or even happier with both. :)

Chad

Chad,

It's a relief to know that I saved $1,200 buying an 8x32 SE (even more if I paid retail). I just need to buy a "dry box" and a camera adapter to get on par. ;)

Brock

Chad,

It's a relief to know that I saved $1,200 buying an 8x32 SE (even more if I paid retail). I just need to buy a "dry box" and a camera adapter to get on par. ;)

Brock

My SE was purchased for around $700. I wish I would have purchased earlier when they were being sold for almost half that price.

Our Audobon society is having a Birding Festival next month. Last year there were lots of vendors including lots of optics. If I would have waited until then and compared my SEs with the ELs I might have saved some money.

But last time I bought a pair of demo Swaros from Camera Land I made my money back when I ended up selling them. So I'm not too worried.

Chad

Chad
You have about the best porro and the best roof around. Your observations are right on. If you want only one it is hard to beat the SV isn't it? The SE is nice but overall the SV is a little better and it is waterproof. I have the SE,SV, EII and the Bresser's Everest 8x42 ED for my car bins. Look for a used or demo SV. I got my SV's for $1600.00. Still a hunk of change but the only binocular you really need.

Last edited:
I`v only tried the 8x32sv one time so a very limited opinion from me. Having stated that, on that one try I found an unpleasant (to me) trait.

Something vertical, like a utility pole (I know Birders don`t spend their time looking at utility poles), when centered would bend top and bottom alarmingly with even the tiniest pan left or right.

I must try them again.

Th 8X32 Swarovision versus Nikon 8X32 SE

The Swarovision (SV)
1. SV has better eye relief
2. SV has a wider, more captivating field of view
3. SV has a marginally brighter image (based solely on impression)
4. SV is waterproof and fogproof
5. SV is lighter
6. SV hangs against the body better than the SE
7. SV lenses are easier to clean
8. SV has much better eyecups
9. SV displays less chromatic aberration
10. SV has a much shorter close focus
11. SV has a faster focus mechanism
12. SV has a locking diopter (SE's diopter works fine)

We've used 8X32 SE's going on ten years and, during a recent ten day birding trip, my wife did not touch hers...nor did I. She used her 8X32 SV exclusively and I stuck with the 8.5X42 SV. I brought two SE's as backups; next year we'll take one.

The 8X32 SE is a phenomenal value play but I can't say it's the best overall 8X32. I think that accolade goes to the 8X32 Swarovision.

I`v only tried the 8x32sv one time so a very limited opinion from me. Having stated that, on that one try I found an unpleasant (to me) trait.

Something vertical, like a utility pole (I know Birders don`t spend their time looking at utility poles), when centered would bend top and bottom alarmingly with even the tiniest pan left or right.

I must try them again.
Interesting i will have to try looking at a utility pole.

Last edited:

The Swarovision (SV)
5. SV is lighter

We've used 8X32 SE's going on ten years and, during a recent ten day birding trip, my wife did not touch hers...nor did I. She used her 8X32 SV exclusively and I stuck with the 8.5X42 SV. I brought two SE's as backups; next year we'll take one.

The 8X32 SE is a phenomenal value play but I can't say it's the best overall 8X32. I think that accolade goes to the 8X32 Swarovision.
All true but you forgot the SV's BIG advantage. It is sharp in the whole FOV right to the edge. BUT for $500.00 the SE is still hard to beat for the money.

The Swarovision (SV)
5. SV is lighter

for $1400 more (new) the SV had better offer more. I tried it at the store briefly but liked it a lot. Only minor complaint is that There's something about the plastic focus wheels on the swaros that are a little bothersome. I have the CL and I'm not loving the feel and stiffness of the focus wheel. The SV however had a smoother focus than the CL, but the feel Of that plastic focus wheel is somewhat unsatisfying. That's my only minor gripe.

Last edited:
for $1400 more (new) the SV had better offer more. I tried it at the store briefly but liked it a lot. Only minor complaint is that There's something about the plastic focus wheels on the swaros that are a little bothersome. I have the CL and I'm not loving the feel and stiffness of the focus wheel. The SV however had a smoother focus than the CL, but the feel Of that plastic focus wheel is somewhat unsatisfying. That's my only minor gripe.

I like that little CL. Even with my big ham like hands. There is nothing chintsy or stiff about it's focus wheel either.

Bob

Curious, other than the small FOV on CL, what's the other differences with 8x32 SV?

The optics/clarity. My CL is def. not as clear as my SE. I've only looked through the SV for a few minutes at the store but it's super clear. The CL has decent optics though. To me almost the whole image is clear...just not as sharp as the SE and contrast is nicer in the SE.

Last edited:
The optics/clarity. My CL is def. not as clear as my SE. I've only looked through the SV for a few minutes at the store but it's super clear. The CL has decent optics though. To me almost the whole image is clear...just not as sharp as the SE and contrast is nicer in the SE.

I sound like a scientologist with all of these acronyms.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back