• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Average price of leica BN 8x42 in USA? (1 Viewer)

slingworks

Came across a pair of Leica BN 8x42 Trinovids for sale. New condition in the box.

What would be considered a fair market price for a pair these days? I was thinking to offer $550...Too high?

Never owned a Leica Binocular, would like to try.

Came across a pair of Leica BN 8x42 Trinovids for sale. New condition in the box.

What would be considered a fair market price for a pair these days? I was thinking to offer $550...Too high?

Never owned a Leica Binocular, would like to try.
$550.00 for NIB Leica Trinovid's 8x42 is a very good price. Even going up to $650.00 wouldn't be out of line. You don't find new ones too often anymore. They are nice well built binoculars for the price.

Thanks for the guidance there.

I decided to buy them, I made the offer and the seller took it.

The last pair of Bins I picked up was recently in a trade. (Pentax 8x43 DCF SP) and I traded them back to the guy I acquired them from. I hope these Leica's are a considerably better glass. The Pentax weren't horrible, but I didn't think much of them. ..

I have always used Porros and had little to no time on Dach Bins. Every pair of Porros I had were better than those Pentax to my surprise.

Andy I frequent many sites and forums on buy-sell-trade "missions"...I'd tell you where exactly, but I'd hate to find myself with stiff competition..I know you boys in Delaware are full of money :)

What else was in the box?

Leica also had a fine lightweight zippered high grade Leather case for the binoculars that could be kept on the binocular while you used it. It hangs below the binocular while you use it. There is no need for objective or ocular covers. I got one with my new 7x42 Trinovid BN. I keep it in good shape with a bit of leather treatment now and then.

Bob

I have a BA 8X42, and the prices have been all over the place on these, as a tip make sure that no moisture has impacted the prisms in any way. In my experience, many of these have been around for over 15 years with the seals giving way to moisture thus the dreaded fungus. I am sure you will like them even though you are a porro fan; if you decide to keep them get the seals/o-rings replaced in the focus mechanism, most common moisture pathway.

Enjoy the glass,

Andy W.

thanks for the replies. I'll post a followup when I get a chance to try them out in a couple days.

I feel like I should correct my original post....I just realized I do own a pair of "Leica" binoculars.

I have a pair of leitz Binuxit 8x30s! Old, but not too bad :)

Last edited:
I have a BA 8X42, and the prices have been all over the place on these, as a tip make sure that no moisture has impacted the prisms in any way. In my experience, many of these have been around for over 15 years with the seals giving way to moisture thus the dreaded fungus. I am sure you will like them even though you are a porro fan; if you decide to keep them get the seals/o-rings replaced in the focus mechanism, most common moisture pathway.

Enjoy the glass,

Andy W.
Interesting. Good tip!

We still have a BN 10x32 and it's a very good glass even today and solidly built. (Though the 42 is a bit heavy... they were Al, not Mg.) You will definitely notice the improvements over a Pentax. You should have a nylon/leather strap, rainguard, and leather "case" which just rolls up and stuffs in a pocket, very clever design. If you have any problem at all, Leica still services BNs. Enjoy!

Ok, I received the Trinovids Thursday AM and tested them out.

Firstly, I can say I really like the Trinovids. I've been looking for a while for a pair of waterproof CF bins to replace the Komz 7x30's I've use quite a bit and I'd have to say the Trinovid BN is exactly what I've been looking for. (Some days my eyes aren't up to the IF bins quite so much).

The Trinovid 8x42 were nearly as sharp, and just as easy to use, a little distortion (not bad) and colors were nice. Bright glass. Easy to handle, like the diopter, perfect eye relief, good field of view and I found the weight just right. They feel great in hand.

The late model Komz 7x30's are a stellar pair of binoculars really....So it's a tough challenge to replace them. (I also have Habicht 8x30w and Swift 8x32UL but they tend to collect a bit more dust).

Now the bad.....
The pair I purchase were misrepresented. Firstly, the box and extras never arrived with the bins...The bins were also not "new" showing internal cleaning marks, internal lint and a defect with one of the eyecups....
Looked more like a pair of used Trinovids that had been cleaned by someone other than leica. Not a major deal, I returned them already, not out any money but at least did get to test some Trinovids!

Ok, bottom line: I REALLY like the 8x42 Trinovid BN. I believe I might like the 7x42 even better.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back