• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wimberley gimbal type head (1 Viewer)

joee1949 said:
The only problem he mentioned was the rigidity. That's why he constructed some sort of support system, see pic attached.

Ok, so the 3047 isn't a fluid head and the Russian-made adapter is said not to fit tightly -- and you may decide to add a 2x converter later. Well, I guess you will always be able to experiment with smaller plates later.

galt_57 said:
Ok, so the 3047 isn't a fluid head and the Russian-made adapter is said not to fit tightly -- and you may decide to add a 2x converter later. Well, I guess you will always be able to experiment with smaller plates later.

I have only just joined birdforum, I reckon you have a lot more experience with these things than I do. A shame that I wasn't able to ask before I ordered the adapter and the head. The 3047 seemed a good choice to me since it carries 7.5kg, enough for the lens with camera. :h?:

Maybe you could give me some advice what I should buy?

Thanks for you help

Joe

joee1949 said:
The 3047 seemed a good choice to me since it carries 7.5kg, enough for the lens with camera. :h?: Maybe you could give me some advice what I should buy?

Ah, I think we are both rank green beginners, but I've probably had more time to read the forums than you have. The heads of choice for digiscoping are the heavier Manfrotto fluid heads, 700rc2, the 128RC, and the 501 pro, with the 128rc being the "standard" for digiscoping. None of these are cheap. I am starting off with a cheap Slik fluid head (11 lb rating) that can be found on Ebay for $15. I think it is a bargain, but I have not heard how it compares to the Manfrotto heads.

http://www.bogenimaging.us/

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back