• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackbird and Song Thrush Territories (1 Viewer)

birdsmith737

Hi all,
This evening I was sat in my garden at around sunset. A blackbird was singing on his usual perch but, to my surprise, a song thrush joined him in song from just a few branches away. Is this common and, if so, does this mean that blackbirds and song thrushes accommodate each others territorial claims? Many thanks for any insight.

I'd say that Blackbirds and Song Thrushes are not in any sort of competition for breeding territories so they can live alongside each other ok.

But, Blackbirds dominate Song Thrushes and will see them off when competing for food
Important point: means that Blackbirds dominate over concentrated food sources (notably bird tables) and will exclude Song Thrush where that is a significant food resource; but conversely, Song Thrushes are better at exploiting dispersed, widely scattered food sources. So where food is thinly spread over a wide area, Song Thrushes do better. If putting food out, don't use a bird table if you want to help Song Thrushes, but instead scatter it in the undergrowth where Blackbirds won't find it so easily.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back