• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

'Images' (3 Viewers)

Inspirational stuff U, but then I've benefited from your creative side for some time, nice to see your back pushing the boundaries and the creative juices are really flowing!

Cheers Tim!.....i thought that you might like the sci-fi images as i noticed on your blog that one of your favorite films was 'Alien'..!!

I just wondered..do you like the works of Giger..?
I was heavily influenced by his artwork at an early age and was in awe of his 'vision'....

ps...[of note]....i spoke to Rockfowl today...he gave me a buzz as i'd tried ringing him a few times and always got the message machine 'voice'.
He's had a really bad time of it lately....[as i guess you knew]....and i didn't know owt about it....[must admit...i was getting a bit concerned]!

pps...speak of the devil....we just cross-posted Mark!

LOL, Yep, just reading the previous comments... My hospital bed was not too far from where you took some of these shots.....chuckle!

I would have left you me HBW's but Leicester's finest seem to be on the case! ;)

Last edited:
No doubt this post will again 'cross' with yours Mark...but hey ho...!

Yeah..you deffo know what i'm like...a f****** nutter....;)

I think that seeing all these other great artists works hereabouts somehow registered with me on some level...and perhaps reminded me of the power of visual imagery. In the end i couldn't resist the 'urge' to produce....'something':smoke:....was almost like feeling a hunger...of sorts...[if that don't sound too daft]!

Glad you up and about again anyways.....and like i said...i'll drop round next week for a chinwag....lots of 'crap' to chat about i'm sure....;)

Not had any time to do much tinkering today...but here's a couple of morph idea's from yesterdays images of light/shadow/ripples inside hide...

ps...there are actually bitterns about...outside the hide...[i know one image is not exactly a bittern]!...the other an underwater 'thing'....;)

Attachments

• 015 - Copy.JPG
    015 - Copy.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 016 - Copy.JPG
    016 - Copy.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 56
'All natures wonderful work' and the right eye to notice that work!

Thanks solitaryV....[yunno...sometimes i think these images find me rather than the other way round]....;)

By way of connections...[very loosely]!....you mentioned having the 'right eye'...and that started me thinking....[in my own little way]..!

Here's a couple of images that are rather 'eye-like'...to my eyes!
One is just a small reservoir of water gathered in a pothole..[where recent cold weather has torn a lump of tarmac out]. I was wandering back in the rain from my local patch the other day...and well...there was just something about it...
And because i was thinking of eyes...earlier i did this morph from my 'hide-shadow' images..

ps...also attached is a more traditional sky landscape...[with vapor trail which formed an interesting symbol]...couldn't help but do two color copies;)

pps...oh...and a quick 'reed' image...'related' to my observations whilst on a fruitless otter watch!....[which looks better..to my eyes...upside down...]...:eek!:

Attachments

• 044 - Copy.JPG
    044 - Copy.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 006 - Copy (2).JPG
    006 - Copy (2).JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 006 - Copy.JPG
    006 - Copy.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 49
love the 'bittern' images, very creative.

Cheers Nick.....i thought the apparent wooden sculpture 'bittern-ish' image lent itself to the habitat outside the hide...[where there's a fairly decent reed-bed...with bitterns]!...etc.

I quite liked the idea that the image of filtered light rippling off water creating shadows on the interior of wooden hide should reflect...and be morphed...into a bittern 'of some sorts'...;)

ps...Tim...tis a 'spooky world' indeed:eek!:!....[feel like i'm Mulder out of X-files];)...."the truth is out there somewhere".....[chuckle]...!

Just a few images from this afternoons wander in the countryside...

The Leicestershire landscape...round my way...is relatively birdless at the moment...tho there's always bits n pieces...especially along the streams where i like to roam.....[had a nice conversation with a marsh tit which entertained...and when i say 'had a conversation'...i mean i imitated it's call]...!

ps...one of the waterworld type pix is perhaps more like a snowstorm....:smoke:

pps...the second image in sequence actually looks more interesting the further you are away from the screen....[of course...you may wish to move so far back that you can't see the screen at all]...;)

Attachments

• 001 - Copy.JPG
    001 - Copy.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 004 - Copy.JPG
    004 - Copy.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 006 - Copy.JPG
    006 - Copy.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 007 - Copy.JPG
    007 - Copy.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 46
More memoirs of the day.....

ps....had a close encounter with a concealed shooter this afternoon...[dare say he was after woodpigeons]....i think this may have effected my rendition of the 'pile of feathers' image....!

pps...'he' was actually alright...despite him just appearing from dense trees with terrorist mask and a hound from hell on his leash:eek!:
He said...'can i help you'?
I said 'no'....i was just birding...[or rather looking for owls]....i waved him goodbye...like you do....all quite friendly....

Attachments

• 011 - Copy.JPG
    011 - Copy.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 015 - Copy.JPG
    015 - Copy.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
fascinating how you keep coming up with more and more intriguing patterns and compositions, photography as art is very difficult in as much as you are quite limited in the creativity, you can't 'make' something creative, you have to ''find' something creative, or see it in a creative way. Inspirational yet again

As always...you are very kind Nick...!

Today we organized a last minute trip to the Forest of Dean...which in the end proved very successful. The usual site for Goshawk was..as usual...a bit of a circus with claims of Gos seemingly for anything that flew...[usually ravens]!
We did see 2 Goshawks at this site...but not 'gripping' views...which is what i am always after. The usual 'site' got very tiresome...and as there was little activity from these spectacular raptors...we moved on.
At another 'site' we really hit 'it' right..with views to make me drool...and 'one' session where we could easily see the color of a male gos's iris's...!
Now 'this' i have always wanted to see...[every time we go looking for this species i always say..."i want iris views"...and today...i did...finally!!
Throw in great views of hawfinch...a pair of crossbills down to ten feet...peregrine...etc.....twas a very good day!

ps....4th image 'shadow log'....i'm sure that's a fish swimming in from the right..;)

So 'image wise' i didn't do much..as i was in 'another zone'..[ie bird hunter mode]...!!

But here's a few images that caught my eye...[in-between the bird action]

ps...oh...nearly forgot...had superb views of two adders sunbathing...[i didn't take pix of these because i couldn't compose a satisfying shot]...i guess i should have tried..but there were too many folk about...

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 43
  • 004 - Copy.JPG
    004 - Copy.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 005 - Copy.JPG
    005 - Copy.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 006 - Copy.JPG
    006 - Copy.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 007 - Copy.JPG
    007 - Copy.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 46
Just a few morphs for your perusal....distilled from 'shadow on tarmac' image i just posted...:smoke:

Attachments

• 004 - Copy - Copy (3).JPG
    004 - Copy - Copy (3).JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 004 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    004 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 004 - Copy - Copy (2).JPG
    004 - Copy - Copy (2).JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 46
Had another look at your images today & to say you've a good eye is an understatement. Among others I really like the last 3 you've posted there's real depth & movement in them. Have you thought about getting them printing out to a decent size like A3 or even A2 ? I think they'd have a big impact at that size. Look forward to the next.

ATB, Neil.

Wow! Iris views of gos.... Yes please!

Now, though I really like the first two tinkered with tarmaccy shadows, IMHO the unaltered image needed no tinkering. An excellent bit of observation leading to a perfect natural abstract. Love the fishing log too.

Mike

Username: I think that bird in the last photo is a resident of SE US called the Anhinga or "Snakebird", so-called because it can swim about with only its head and neck showing and looking very snakelike. So you have a picture of a make-believe bird making believe he's a snake while swimming in a pot of gold. (Or something like that!!) In any case, it's really interesting.

I very much agree with Tim--these are artistic images and well worthy of showing in public.

Sid

Last edited:
Username: I think that bird in the last photo is a resident of SE US called the Anhinga or "Snakebird", so-called because it can swim about with only its head and neck showing and looking very snakelike. So you have a picture of a make-believe bird making believe he's a snake while swimming in a pot of gold. (Or something like that!!) In any case, it's really interesting.

I very much agree with Tim--these are artistic images and well worthy of showing in public.

Sid

Cheers Sid....the 'snakebird'..[anhinga]...is a fantastic species that i have observed many times...and they are quite bizzare creatures! That is the thing about nature in all it's many forms...some almost look made up...;)

My interest in all 'forms' stems from an early age...and in fact...thinking about it...i have a wooden carving by artist Wharton Lang hanging on a wall o mine. I only mention this because it depicts a diver [loon]...underwater...and this artist had mounted it on a wooden fascia where the grain in the wood looks like ripples. perhaps this has influenced me in some way....i don't know...but i am fascinated with water/reflections/etc...and how the images always change with light. [might post a picture of this carving tomorrow]...

ps...Woody...yeah...the original 'tarmac shadows' didn't need any tinkering...it's just that i feel the need to explore the possibilities...and shadows/water...[because they are always morphing]....just makes me want to 'tinker';)...almost in sympathy...[if that makes any sense]..?

pps....just a quick morph or two before i disappear into 'kip-land'...having just got back from....B :)...apologies if they are a bit sci-fi..'ish'....;)

Attachments

• 006 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    006 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 006 - Copy - Copy (2).JPG
    006 - Copy - Copy (2).JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 43
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back