• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod and head for Vanguard Endeavour HD82A (1 Viewer)

Andy Hurley

Gotta love nature!
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Hi,
just picked up my first scope, the Vanguard Endeavour HD82A for €326 and my old Cullman tripod is too light.
Could you please advise me on a decent tripod and head that is under €200.
I am 1.86 m 6ft2in old money.

Thanks

I don't know about availability where you are but look at the Induro or Benro. I have the AT214 and At313 as well as a Benro the model of which escapes me. Very large bang for the buck. Heads are more individual, I have the Manfrotto 502 which is a great head for a spotter but heavy. You might try the 500 or the new video head Manfrotto just came out with.
Steve
Oh yes buy more than you think you need, Scopes are a lot more sensitive to vibration than cameras.

Oh yes buy more than you think you need, Scopes are a lot more sensitive to vibration than cameras.

Very good point! I tend to bang on a bit about tripods, especially for scopes. I use the longest Canon camera lens currently available (the 800mm) and it shows up the defects of tripod far less than a spotting scope! The great weight of the camera and lens damp down vibration and the magnification is FAR lower than even fairly modest scopes.

To Andy - get the biggest, baddest, stiffest tripod that won't break you back! You credit card can be repaired later. I use Gitzo tripods and find them to be excellent but they are FAR from cheap! I am not familiar with the brands that Stephen suggests so I could not comment.
If you find Gitzo prices a bit high (most of us mortals do!) then have a look at the used market. I picked up a Gitzo G1329 Mk2 (perfect for serious scope use) for about 125 Euros (100 GBP) so it's well worth looking around.

Thanks John,
I've settled on the Induro AT214 with the Manfrotto MVH500AH. The Vanguard Endeavour HD82A weighs 1.8 Kg and the Induro is designed for max 5 Kg. As I will be using the scope for surveys and walking and stopping type birding, weight did come into the equation as I will also be carrying D7000 with Sigma 150 -500 mm on a Blackrapid harness and will have to carry the Scope with tripod extended over the other shoulder for quick deployment. If need be I can use the hook to add local stones in a bag to stabilise the scope further as and when necessary.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back