• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Introduced birds in Europe (1 Viewer)

Don't know if anyone else like me is a little more reluctant to count naturalised waterfowl compared to other species (e.g. ring-necked parakeet)?
Little Owls - despite being introduced in Britain - always seem popular. Not sure about Ring-necked Parakeets though, give me a Mandarin Duck any day o:D

Reintroduced birds (Capercaillie; Red Kites for most of us) definitely deserve more cred than other introductions though. I reckon they should be listed as Category A2 (because they 'belong') rather than C-something.

Thanks for info...fortunately I've got 'proper' Ruddy Shelduck from India and Nepal on my list, but I'll add the record to Scythebill as an 'introduced'.

Don't know if anyone else like me is a little more reluctant to count naturalised waterfowl compared to other species (e.g. ring-necked parakeet)?

The Geneva Ruddy Shelduck is a bit suspect, it's been in the same place since 2006 and has kept company with a Muscovy Duck there for several years now!
Certainly not doing its bit towards establishing the breeding population;)

I hear that Scaly-breasted Munia and Pin-tailed Whydah have now been moved to category C in Portugal? Could anyone with more information elaborate on this decision? How big are the populations, how long have they been there and will there be any kind of official statement?

Maffong

I hear that Scaly-breasted Munia and Pin-tailed Whydah have now been moved to category C in Portugal?

That's correct, and the same applies to Egyptian Goose, which is spreading fast here.

Could anyone with more information elaborate on this decision? How big are the populations, how long have they been there and will there be any kind of official statement?

It's in one of the latest rarities reports. I can try to find the link if you wish.

Meanwhile I would like to add one species that now has wild populations in Portugal: Fischer's Lovebird. Not sure if they are self-sustaning, nor if they are 'pure' (some people say most are hybrids with Yellow-collared or other closely-related species).

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back