• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID needed - Kenya (1 Viewer)

GMS

Having had a great holiday in Kenia (seeing loads of birds) I need ID or confirmation on a few of them. It would be great if someone could help out.

1.) Wahlberg's Eagle
2.) Grey-headed Kingfisher (female/juv.) but can't rule out Brown-hooded
3.) Eurasian Roller, but some pictures of Abyssinian Roller look quite similar
4.) Tawny Eagle
5.) African White -backed Vulture (juv.)/ Rueppell's Griffon vulture (juv.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2,3: right
5: looks most like Rüppell's (wings don't look "tapered" towards the tips).
I'll leave the eagles to someone else please...

Hi Hanno and Xenospiza,

thanks your replies.

Hanno said:
1. I don't see the small crest, could it be a Tawny Eagle?
Size seemed to be more like a Black Kite (much smaller than many of the Tawny Eagles we've seen) but I'm obviously happy to be corrected. I've attached another pic (heavily cropped) of the same bird. Maybe this helps ?!

Hi,

I'm not sure about no.2. Just that there's no chesnut on it's belly, and a juvenile Grey-headed would have a dark bill, so Brown-hooded seems a bit more likely on appearance. Depends on if you were in the range that your bird guide suggests.

Mark

mini-colster said:
Hi,

I'm not sure about no.2. Just that there's no chesnut on it's belly, and a juvenile Grey-headed would have a dark bill, so Brown-hooded seems a bit more likely on appearance. Depends on if you were in the range that your bird guide suggests.

Mark

Either species could occur in the area (Tsavo NP). I think Brown-hooded should show a darker head and there's no obvious streaking on the flanks. According to the birdbook juv. (Grey-headed) can have a red bill.

Hi there,

1. I would say that this is a Wahlberg's Eagle. The photo is taken from an odd angle and one cannot really see all the features, but if this were a dark phased Booted, I would expect to see the "landing lights" with the way that the bird is holding its right wing. I also think the tail is too long and narrow for a Booted Eagle.

2. Juvenile Grey-hooded Kingfisher of the race hyacinthina. The blue on the wings and tail is a different colour to the normal royal blue one finds on all the other races. A female would still show some chestnut albeit a little paler on the belly.

3. Eurasian Roller

4. Difficult to get all the features from this photo, but that gapes does seem exceptionally long, so I would suggest that this might be a Steppe Eagle.

5. Would agree that this is a Ruppell's based on wing shape.

Regards
Trevor

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back