• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

#1 Bucket List locations (1 Viewer)

Whichever bit of Antartica happens to have some Emporer penguins on it. Ideally getting paid by the BBC to spend a decent amount of time with them and point a lens in their direction.

I'd imagine there will be lots of places where they could be seen, although not everywhere is accessible. Ross Sea probably as good as any and hopefully get to see Shackleton and Scott's huts too. It would be good to get inland (although it's not essential) to see the snow petrels around their nesting sites upon the nunataks, not necessarily because they're nesting, but more for the location, 300 km inland.

South Georgia would be a must for me too.

Australia is top of my list. The whole country. Want to do a seven month tour. Was planning to go in February but have put it off until next winter. Next on my list is Cuba, possibly this February, several countries in southern Africa, England, Normandy for a battlefield tour, Russia, Iceland, Peru, Costa Rica and Falkland Islands

Hardly done my research but:

-Antarctica and nearby islands (South Georgia etc) for endemics
-New Zealand (though seems most native birds are hard to find!?)
-Costa Rica
-Africa
-Other South American places (I don't know much about specific areas)
-Arizona

If a time machine was invented, I might go back to the nearest Carolina parakeet or passenger pigeon roosting site. Or even have a reason to bump the ivory-billed woodpecker thread again.

I'd like to stick a vote in for Yellowstone (now off my bucket list but I wouldn't mind doing it again if cash was available!)

Kruger National Park

The Falkland Islands (small enough to be a location? Only the size of Wales I believe.)

Scilly, Shetland and North Norfolk

I've been to all of the above. There's an awful lot on my "to do" bucket list, here are six for starters:

Svalbard

Sri Lanka (especially Yala which I gather is awesome)

The Pantanal

Ethiopian Highlands

Western South Africa - I fancy Kalagadi and I also want Southern Right Whale and Great White Shark

Australia - I can't pick one place, but my first foray will be the Eastern side as Maz has relatives there.

John

One way to get to Svalbard is on a cruise.Some go up the Norway coast and you can often get to have two days there.We did a P and O cruise a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.The Norway coast was good in parts but Svalbard was wonderful.

New Guinea
Galapagos (wife loves, loves, tortoises/turtles to boot)
Costa Rica
Ecuador
Madagascar
England (being a colonial, what can I say...)
South USA,
Arctic and West Canada (I did spend some time in northern BC, close to the arctic circle, but it was in a work camp, all we got were ravens, and by that I mean Raven's area awesome)

and as

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back