• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (1 Viewer)

I always used to think of Camberwell Beauties as late summer butterflies , but recently they seem to be becoming more spring butterflies. We had 2 recent records from Swanton Novers one early May and the other late April in 2007 and 2008.

Of course they could be over-wintering? We know at least one did in 2005/6 because it was in someone's barn and they watched it. But the latest report was a clean,fresh individual, so unlikely to have hibernated.

Off to Scilly.

Off to scilly for a fortnights birding. No doubt the winds will turn south/ south east it Norfolk whilst I am away.

On a completely different subject. Perfect birding foods. My favourites are Dark Chocolate, Cheese scones and "titchwell pasties2. Probably the best thing about Titchwell!! :cat::cat:

It looks as though the speckled wood has been realy hard last winter. I have just managed the first butterfly survey for 2 weeks at Swanton Novers , plenty of orange tips , green viened whites , plus a few peacocks and large whites . but no sign of any speckled woods. I would have expected to have seen 10-20 most years on a survey. I have seen a total of 5 all spring , 2 in Hindolveston , 2 at Swanton Novers and one at Barney.

A check on the ponds found no dragon\damselflies at all. Its a crazy spring , primroses still well in flower ( a march flowering species ) , bluebells at their peak ( 3 weeks late ) and some oaks not yet in leaf. Even the palmated newts are only just arriving at the ponds. No smooth or crested newts yet. The weather men promised a warm day , it was a bit warmer in the shelter of the wood , but at the watch points it got cold midday in the wind. Lets hope for a change soon to warmer weather.

Brecks butterflies 16 May

Given the weather forecast I joined a Butterfly Conservation group at Cranwich Heath more in hope than expectation.

Cranwich Heath
The sun did come out a few times between 11.15 and 1.45. Highlight ten or so green hairstreaks. As weather brightened up a few small heath seen. Just one speckled wood and a few small coppers, most whites were green-veined.

Foulden Common
Extra trip to Foulden Common from 2.45 to 4.45. I found seven grizzled skippers just through the gate before the first pingo. Two of these in cop. Not many butterflies in more exposed spots further on.

Back to first area north of the track. Two grizzles male chasing female for some minutes before separating. Then struck gold, after everyone else but me had gone. Two dingy skippers, probably male and female.

Attachments

• Dingy Skipper Foulden Common 16 May 2010 cropped.JPG
    Dingy Skipper Foulden Common 16 May 2010 cropped.JPG
    224.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Grizzled Skipper Foulden Common 16 May 2010 cropped.JPG
    Grizzled Skipper Foulden Common 16 May 2010 cropped.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Organic gardening event at Wolterton Hall

Wasn't really looking for butterflies, but all I noticed today were a few whites, half a dozen orange tips and a solitary speckled wood.

Cranwich Heath 16 May

Shots of small copper, green hairstreak and small heath.
Only the small heath picture has been cropped.
Small copper stayed long enough to focus it. Green hairstreak most obliging.

Attachments

• Small copper Cranwich Heath 16 May 2010.jpg
    Small copper Cranwich Heath 16 May 2010.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Green hairstreak 5 Cranwich Heath 16 May 2010.jpg
    Green hairstreak 5 Cranwich Heath 16 May 2010.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Small Heath Cranwich Heath 16 May 2010.JPG
    Small Heath Cranwich Heath 16 May 2010.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 67
Green hairstreaks Mousehold

Three green hairstreaks on Mousehold right of western path west of Vinegar Pond. The attached, at one point spiralling around the trees with a second example, perched high in a scrubby oak tree.

Attachments

• Green hairstreak Mouehold 19 May 2010.JPG
    Green hairstreak Mouehold 19 May 2010.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 91
The first swallowtail was seen today, 19th May, at Horning. As was Brown Argus at Wereham.

We now have 21 species flying in Norfolk: Dingy Skipper, Grizzled Skipper, Swallowtail, Brimstone, Large White, Small White, Green-veined White, Orangetip, Green Hairstreak, Small Copper, Common Blue, Holly Blue, Brown Argus, Red Admiral, Painted Lady, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock, Comma, Speckled Wood, Wall and Small Heath.

large skipper should be the next seen.

Paul, from your description I saw the same green hairstreaks on Sunday (or at least three in the same location with one perched and two chasing each other).

I've has a description of two painted ladies seen flying purposefully yesterday near Norwich. The observer reported them as flying "like they did last year". We might be in for a small influx in the next few days - though it's unlikely to be on the same scale as last year.

Last edited:
Just wondering where would be the best site to look for Dingy and Grizzled Skipper this weekend, the nearer to Norwich the better!

Chris

Humming-bird hawk-moth

I am sure i saw one of these today outside my work place in Horsford it flew up near to where i was standing then turned and away it went. I have seen Humming-bird hawk-moths before. Can anyone tell me if they are around now?

Cheers Nick

Wall brown x 2 at Holme today. Later on they became 7 after a mini transect....also several green hairstreaks, a few brown argus, one small heath and a male common blue. Query - when did small blue get replaced by Little Blue, or is just in Collins that this name change is referred. Thank you.

Hickling Broad NWT reported their first swallowtail earlier this week.

Last edited:
PYRTLE: Little blue? Hurumph! that's just Collins I think.
Ron: Not just Horning, but same spot, same observer both years running! It's a function of 1) it's a good spot, 2) the recorder's there frequently, and 3) I only get reports from a handful of people as they happen: most folk just send records in at the end of the year.
Bob: Did it look newly emerged? or a bit battered?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back