• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help me make a choice between Browning 8x32 and Excursion 8/10x42! (1 Viewer)

fruers

hi everyone,

I'm about to purchase my first set of decent binoculars for wildlife watching and would like some opinions on choosing between a few models.

Up until now I have been using a set of cheap tasco 8x32's. Apart from the occasional difficulty distinguishing fine features of birds or not having enough magnification to see into the tops of trees they have been satisfactory. I also found out that they're not waterproof, when they fell in the water (with me attached) while I was getting into my kayak 3:). Pretty good catalyst for an upgrade!

After researching on the internet and sampling a few binoculars in store I have narrowed my choice down to 3 models that are FMC, phase corrected, waterproof and around the $175US mark.

Browning 8x32
Excursion 8x42
Excursion 10x42

Originally I was only looking at 8x42 or 10x42 but after reading the Browning reviews here, I'm keen on that model too. I can't sample them here in Australia but considering their likeness to the 8x32 Legend, I'm hoping that the image quality is close to the 8x42 Legend (which I have looked through, but is too much money). I have concerns about the lens caps and the small case, based on peoples feedback. I like the attached (but removable) lens caps on the excursion models.

In regard to the 10x42, I am confident that I can deal with the negatives of a higher power binocular and short-listed the excursion because it has a wide FOV. My concern is that I might be asking too much of the optics in a cheaper binocular. Some reviewers rubbish the optics while others commend them.

The 8x42 seem like the safe and reliable choice.

At the end of the day I want a quality set of all-rounders that can handle a bit of rough treatment and will get me through a couple of years of looking at things :). If it comes down to a choice between 8x and 10x I will likely flip a coin!

It would be great to hear what other people would choose and the reasons for doing so.

Thanks for any advice, all the info on this forum has been a great help so far!

Jonathan

ps. There were some other models in my price range, like the celestron outland lx, but I am buying from overseas and I don't want any surprises to do with quality control. I would still be interested in hearing other recommendations with the above criteria (even though I've tortured myself for days to get this far!).

I am sure you read my Browning 8x32 review. I couldn't be happier with them!

Couple of things:

Browning retails for $400
Bushnell retails for $280

Both can be had for $150

Consider this, Browning only sells 3 binos (8x32, 8x42, 10,42). Now Bushnell probably builds the Brownings or has a hand in their manufacturing somehow because my manual came from Bushnell.

I think Browning wants to put out a quality product since these are the ONLY binoculars they sell so they have a vested intrest in making them good,not average, as opposed to the Bushnells, where there are mutliple layers of bino quality.

I think the Brownings are more comparable to the Legends.

I think it is a no brainer, go with the Brownings (though I am bias!)

By the way, the lens caps are just fine. The case still sucks though but if you use them like I do you wont have to worry!

I've got to second recommending the Browning 8x32 bins. I bought a pair based on the reviews and recommendations given here on BF. While they are not my primary pair (they were bought mainly to keep in the car), they are excellent. Crisp clear bright images. Very good FOV as well. Maybe a tad heavier than other 8x32 bins but that's not a problem for me.

One strange thing I've noticed is that the focus wheel works backwards from my Zeiss, Nikon and Audubon bins. I rotate it clockwise to focus close up and counter-clockwise to focus on far away objects. The focus wheel is a bit stiff also but maybe that's just the winter temps or maybe it's just the way they are or my pair is. Not a problem really.

As littletunny said, the lens caps are fine but the case is way too tight (small) but that's not really a major problem.

I did buy mine quite cheap, around $119, from ScopeSpot on ebay. But they no longer advertise them in their ebay storefront so no luck getting a pair from them. Shop around, I know they can be had for under $150.

I've not used or even looked through the Bushnell Excursions or Legends so I can not give advice as to their performance and quality.

Best of luck Jonathan.

Consider this, Browning only sells 3 binos (8x32, 8x42, 10,42). Now Bushnell probably builds the Brownings or has a hand in their manufacturing somehow because my manual came from Bushnell.

Yes, the Browning binos are made by Bushnell (or the subcontractor that Bushnell farms out the manufacturing to). I expect Browning has nothing to do with these binoculars except that they make a bit of money licensing their name to Bushnell.

I got a Browning 8x32 recently and am VERY impressed with them, something I never thought I'd say about any roof prism in this price range or anything close to it. Their only (and unfortunately significant) flaw? When strong light falls at certain angles on the objectives, they suffer from lens flare. I'll post a fuller evaluation later on the other Browning 8x32 thread.

--AP

Last edited:
I was under the impression (perhaps mistaken) that the Browning 8x32 and the Bushnell Legend 8x32 were the same binoculars, with a different exterior and the Legend having the added Rainguard coating. ( Which is excellent, I must add.)

Thanks everyone, for the replies so far. It's great to be able to make an informed purchase with first-hand information.

In the meantime I have ruled out the 10x excursion based on being unsure about the quality at this price point.

When looking through the excursions in the shop, I have found the image to be very bright, with good contrast. They were noticeably brighter than a set of Monarch's (which retail for $650 in Aus) that I tried at the same time.

I was apprehensive about buying a set of binos with the smaller 32mm lens but the fact that they are higher quality optics and having IDed about 100 birds with a very cheap pair of 8x32's, I think that the Browning's will do fine.

I want the best value for money and it sounds like the Browning's fit the bill. In the future I will invest in a set of 10x42's and having a set of good quality 8x32's would compliment them better than a set of 8x42's.

I think I better go order them and be done with it!

Jonathan

Hey Jonathan,
I ordered a pair of Excursion 8x42s and Excursion 10x42s from the states about a year ago (for myself and my girlfriend respectively), and I am pretty happy with them. I think the build quality isn't as good as bushnell could achieve, but the optics are pretty damn good for that price (much much better than browning 10x42s which my girlfriend uses for work).

Additionally, I can vouch for the warranty service in Australia as the 10x42s got a badly aligned barrel which Tasco (who handle bushnell's warranty here in Aus) replaced immediately (I shipped them express to Sydney and within 3 days had a brand new pair arrive).

I know its unfortunate to have to do a warranty claim on bins so soon, but its somewhat expected for this price range I think, and if dealt with properly doesn't really cause any issues!

Cheers
Damien

As it probably is for everyone, the decision was pretty hard but I eventually went with the Browning's.

I did so before reading Damien's post which I find quite interesting as he has used both models. It was interesting to hear about the warranty issue, as I have always thought that warranties were quite difficult if importing goods from overseas. This was one of the reasons I went with the browning as I wanted to minimise the possibility of a faulty product. Did you have to provide the US receipt when doing the warranty?

OpticsPlanet processed my order really fast and I'm just waiting for them to turn up, can't wait to try them out. I just did a 5 day trip without any binoculars :(.

The Browning cost me $200AU to import, that's the same off the shelf price as the Bushnell H20. To buy a Bushnell Legend (assuming they're equivalent) off the shelf in AU would cost over $500.

It was interesting to hear about the warranty issue, as I have always thought that warranties were quite difficult if importing goods from overseas. This was one of the reasons I went with the browning as I wanted to minimise the possibility of a faulty product. Did you have to provide the US receipt when doing the warranty?

As far as I know, the Bushnell warranty is similar to Leupold's--it is the product that is warrantied, so no receipt is necessary nor does it matter where the product was purchased. The Bushnell products sold under the Browning label have the same warranty as all Bushnell products. The only difference in the paperwork that comes with the binoculars is that the Browning name is substituted for Bushnell (wording of warranty, corporate address etc is identical).

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back