• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski NL 8x42 - First Impressions (1 Viewer)

Also, how GOOD can that opinion be when those handfuls of binocular could have only been in actual use for a MONTH? LESS? Are they birders? Dealers? Naturalists? Did they leave their house?

As you say, if people want to spend 3K on a pair binoculars they have not tried, why not?
That's what most of us do anyway, when we order online, considering the QC of some brands (with Cherries and Lemons... ).

Is it different with what's actually happening with the latest Zeiss 8x32 ? People pre-ordered them without any reviews published.

Some of the NL reviewers here (mine not counting) are respected experts (and not "influencers"), and have looked into hundreds of Binos in the past, and have been kind enough to share their opinions with us.

Disregarding their opinions because they have not tried the Binos "long enough", or because their "CV" is not good enough? Really? Seriously?

What's the difference between a little boy and a man?
The price of the toys ;)

This is such a peculiar choice really, SF 32 vs NL 42, so different... Of course Swaro has clearly outclassed SF 42 not only by further improving its FOV, but showing that can be done without oversizing the bino. Which rather undermines the SF 32 concept also, given some possibility of forthcoming NL 32.... though obviously I haven't seen this crop yet, and look forward to it sometime this fall as we have a local dealer now.

Swaro hasnt ouclassed the SF because the IPD stays larger.

Edmund

Swaro hasnt ouclassed the SF because the IPD stays larger.

Edmund

Agreed...a bit premature to make that statement. Based on specs, the Swaro is also heavier and has a longer minimum focus distance.

Real life usage will tell what of the perceived advantages of either binoc translate into a real benefit.

Last edited:
As you say, if people want to spend 3K on a pair binoculars they have not tried, why not?
That's what most of us do anyway, when we order online, considering the QC of some brands (with Cherries and Lemons... ).

Is it different with what's actually happening with the latest Zeiss 8x32 ? People pre-ordered them without any reviews published.

Some of the NL reviewers here (mine not counting) are respected experts (and not "influencers"), and have looked into hundreds of Binos in the past, and have been kind enough to share their opinions with us.

Disregarding their opinions because they have not tried the Binos "long enough", or because their "CV" is not good enough? Really? Seriously?

What's the difference between a little boy and a man?
The price of the toys ;)

I agree...Swaro, Zeiss and others are brands with a very solid reputation and I would not hesitate to order from them without having seen the product.

However, I think that binoculars are a type of product that you have to try to really feel if it is the right one for you. I appreciate some need to order and eventually return it as they don't live close to a store.

What I find premature and juvenile is to make definite statements about the performance of a product based only on a specs sheet or sponsored opinions.

I am sure it will be an outstanding binocular, and it may be considered the best in the world. I would love to try one. But until we can handle one it is all speculation, in particular when compared vs other heavyweights i.e. the SF.

Where is the local Swaro dealer? Are you talking about Cabellas, Sportmans Warehouse or Scheels? I live up in Greeley, CO.
I was referring to Front Range Birding Center which has two stores in the Denver metro area. Besides birdseed etc they carry Swaro, Leica, and Zeiss (also Opticron, maybe another) but may not stock certain models like SLC. Very nice people.

The way I look at it, they should be better than the SV 8x32 at controlling glare simply because of the bigger 5 mm exit pupil. The Swarovski SV 8.5x42 doesn't show near as much glare as the SV 8x32.

The size of the exit pupil means next to nothing when it comes to glare. The Leica 8x32s have very little glare. It all depends on the quality of the baffling.

Hermann

:smoke:
The size of the exit pupil means next to nothing when it comes to glare. The Leica 8x32s have very little glare. It all depends on the quality of the baffling.

Hermann
Henry Link in his post about the Zeiss 8x56 FL said that bigger apertures do control flare better or at least that is the way I interpreted it.

"There is virtually complete freedom from “flare”. When bright reflections from the edge of the objective reach the eye they are out at the edge of a 7mm circle of light, so the flare tends to fall invisibly on the iris rather than entering the eye."

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=81438&highlight=zeiss+8x56+the+best+8x42

Last edited:
Indeed. They could surely use an enthusiastic customer now, in hard times for local businesses. Just don't look there and then buy online...
Thanks, for the tip. I doubt I will get into Denver anytime soon with this pandemic. I have already preordered the NL anyway online.

Last edited:
They tossing in overnight express shipping too..? mine will be on a pair of the 12X42's....Wont be long...!
Free two-day shipping plus 10% off retail on the NL 8x42. Yes, I am anxious to try them. With overnight shipping you will get yours before I do so let me know if you like them. I am really curious about the 12x42. That is a new size for Swarovski.

When I wanted to buy a EL 8x42 about 12 years ago, I decided after hours and hours of testing for the smaller 8x32 version because the diameter of the 8x42 tubes was too unwieldy for my relatively small hands. And I have to say, I was never dissatisfied with my decision ... this little fellow is really great!

Now finally my "prayer" has been answered and the Swarovski design department has had the courage to design binoculars that have largely focused on the haptics ... hallelujah!

My dealer informed me a few minutes ago: The time has come! ... and my NL PURE 8x42 is already on the way to me!
I have to admit I'm excited like a little boy right before Christmas o:)

I am very curious whether the many YouTube videos and reviews of the past few days and weeks actually correspond to the truth ...
I would like it very much!

When I wanted to buy a EL 8x42 about 12 years ago, I decided after hours and hours of testing for the smaller 8x32 version because the diameter of the 8x42 tubes was too unwieldy for my relatively small hands. And I have to say, I was never dissatisfied with my decision ... this little fellow is really great!

Now finally my "prayer" has been answered and the Swarovski design department has had the courage to design binoculars that have largely focused on the haptics ... hallelujah!

My dealer informed me a few minutes ago: The time has come! ... and my NL PURE 8x42 is already on the way to me!
I have to admit I'm excited like a little boy right before Christmas o:)

I am very curious whether the many YouTube videos and reviews of the past few days and weeks actually correspond to the truth ...
I would like it very much!

Hi Pepe,

I am also interested in the 8x42, hopefully you'll find time to post your impressions.

Peter

According to Fedex tracking my 8x42 was shipped from Rhode Island yesterday and is due to arrive at my North Carolina dealer by the end of the day Saturday. I plan to do a thorough review, so I think it will take a while.

Eurooptics just contacted me and said my 8x42 NL was shipping from Swarovski today, so they should have them next week. So they are on their way!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back