• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto 441 v 443 - advice requested! (1 Viewer)

IanF

In an attempt at trying to lighten my digiscoping kit, I am considering the purchase of a carbon fibre tripod. The Manfrotto range would suit my purposes, but despite having looked at the 441 and 443 on several occasions I am at a loss as to which to buy?

The 441 certainly seems to be of better appearance with leveling bulbs and more pleasing on the eye look, but I do wonder if there is any advantage to it over the far cheaper 443 ?

Any tips on where to buy would be appreciated too as everywhere, even the local camera shop seem to have pretty much the same price!

Ian, I think the only difference is that the 441's centre column can be swung over to make a horizontal arm, particularly useful, apparently, for photography. Other than that they have the same features, although I'm not sure about the level bulb. According to the specs on the Manfrotto website, the 443 has the level, but I have a 443 and it doesn't. Maybe they've added one in the last year.

Thanks Diane.

The 443 that I looked at in the camera shop this week didn't have the levelling bubble either, so I wonder if it's a miss-print on the Manfrotto site. It's not a big issue as it's unlikely I'd be standing there trying to get the thing perfectly level in the middle of a field. looks like I'll be getting the 443 unless I find the 441 at a bargain price.

I've had my 443 for a couple of years and am very pleased.

I don't have the levelling bubble and, to be perfectly honest, the difference between levelling "by eye" and trying to get a bubble level is probably just enough time for the bird to fly away.

Hi Ian,I've also got the 443 and the only problem I've found (not unexpectedly)is that the light weight means it can easily blow over in a strong wind,so extra care would be needed in those conditions.

Regarding a levelling bubble, I believe that a lot of tripod heads have one built in (for example, I'm fairly sure the Manfrotto 501 video head that quite a few people use for digiscoping has a levelling bubble built into it's base).

So, even if you get a 443 without a levelling bubble, purchasing the correct head will provide one anyhow.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back