• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Manfrotto 502HD Video Head (1 Viewer)

Jason Bugay Reyes

Malaysia
Hio all,

I used to have the 501HD video head and sold it to my friend. Now I'm thinking of purchasing this 502HD as the 501 has been discontinued.

Anyone using this ? Comments etc ?

Thanks ! :king:

Received my 502 head this morning and the good news is, the 501 Long plate and the standard plate does fit into the 502 video head hehehe. The built quality looks better than 501 with less rubber etc

I like it !

I was just going to post a new thread asking if anyone had one of these.

How have you found it since you got it?

Overall the 502 is better than my previous 501 and even though the weight load is less at 502, but it balances well with my Nikon EDG85 + DSLR which is back heavy than on the 501 video head.

The additional threads on both side of the body gives us option in the future to attach flash etc

The gimbal is suitable for in flight shot where as the video is much better for static birds especially in low lights.

Interesting, for my experience it is the opposite. For static birds I find that the gimbal head cradles my lens very well which is especially important as I use Canon's non-stabilized 400mm 5.6

Interesting, for my experience it is the opposite. For static birds I find that the gimbal head cradles my lens very well which is especially important as I use Canon's non-stabilized 400mm 5.6

Plus my friend tested his 70-200mm lens on the Jobu gimbal, unfortunately it failed the sharpness test in the rainforest and happened to be my other friend were using the Manfrotto 501 video head, the results was much better than on the Jobu.

The Jobu was return back ...

Horukuru, I'm interested in your opinion of the 502 now that you've had time to use it. What tripod do you use with it? Could you post pictures using it with your scope setup?

Thanks,
ALicia

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back