• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

$400 Lightweight Tripod & Head (1 Viewer)

climb.on

I am looking for a Lightweight Tripod & Head recommendations for around $400. My number 1 priority is stability, but I backpack a lot so size/weight is a primary concern as well. I use the Vortex Razor 65.

is a 3lb-3.5lb setup unrealistic to achieve my goals?

The Manfrotto 700RC2 Tripod Head seems like it would fit the bill, but I am totally lost on legs. There are so many options. Help.

The Manfrotto 700RC2 Tripod Head seems like it would fit the bill, but I am totally lost on legs. There are so many options. Help.

700RC2 can definitely be recommended! As for the tripod itself, carbon would probably be best if you can fit it into your budget. I suggest to look at Velbon. Preferably ordering directly to get to the price you need. I suggest looking through the auction site(s). At any rate if you select Velbon, stick to the Geo 600 series, like E630 or E640. if stability is paramount.

But the 500 series might be a decent compromise regarding weight.

I second the recommendation for Velbon carbon fiber legs--good value for the money. But last time I shopped there were different model numbers for those sold in America versus Europe, so be aware of that possibility.

For a lightweight head I prefer this Velbon PH-157Q head:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009UTVS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

It is inexpensive and durable. Though it is not a fluid head, so if you are digiscoping you might want to look at those. I prefer it to the Manfrotto heads. It is quicker to set up than those because you only have to tighten/untighten one screw, rather than two, to locate a bird. I had a Manfrotto 700 model and the panning screw went “numb” after only a year of use.

At first sight, it looks really excellent. Though I think it does not have a safety catch. That would be a major requirement for me. The Manfrotto 700RC2 does have that feature.

Not sure what you mean by a safety catch, but it has a spring-loaded locking lever and the scope has never fallen off in 7 years of use. I also tried a bigger Manfrotto head, the 701. My scope fell of it after only a week of use, and I returned it. I'm sure others will have had varying experiences, but these are mine.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone - I thought I would follow up with my choices. It bugs me when I read other threads where there's a bunch of discussions about "what to purchase" and then you never know what the person decided on. Anyway, I ended up with the Manfrotto 700RC2 head and I negotiated a decent price ($475) on a nice used Gitzo GT1542T. The kit weighs in at 3.3lbs (6.8lbs with the scope) - I'm pretty happy with those numbers. I obviously blew the budget a bit...oops. :) I hope it will be worth it.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone - I thought I would follow up with my choices. It bugs me when I read other threads where there's a bunch of discussions about "what to purchase" and then you never know what the person decided on. Anyway, I ended up with the Manfrotto 700RC2 head and I negotiated a decent price ($475) on a nice used Gitzo GT1542T. The kit weighs in at 3.3lbs (6.8lbs with the scope) - I'm pretty happy with those numbers. I obviously blew the budget a bit...oops. :) I hope it will be worth it.

Looks like you opted for the luxury version. But as long as finances are not that critical, you certaily got a great tripod that can hardly be beat weightwise. Let us know about your experiences regarding stability.

My own combo of 700RC2 plus Velbon tripod GEO carbon E640 weighs 1.93 kg. So that's close to a pound more than your set. For that, I removed the panning stick which is superfluous for my purposes. And it weighs another 100 grams that I can well do without. Stability, on the other hand, was high on my list of priorities. And the set excellently fulfills what I was after.

Last edited:
For the tripod I suggest that you look at the Induro CT203 which is on sale for $209.95 at B&H. Heck of a good buy for a very sturdy carbon tripod.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back