• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ZRS HD Preorder? (1 Viewer)

FrankD

So I was just over on the Zen-Ray site to look up some info on one of the models. While there I noticed that they were out of stock on the 10x42 ZRS HD model but it does say "Preorder only". For many folks "Pre-order" might mean that there is a new model coming. Of course it could also mean that they are just allowing pre-orders for when the regular stock comes in.

Still, after Charles commented about the possibility of a new bino/configuration I thought it would be worth mentioning.

http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/binoculars/zrshd10x42.html

Thoughts?

Yes, it does for me too on the page linked. It didn't earlier plus it does still say "Preorder" at the top of the page. Maybe just an oversight on their part.

Hi Frank,

I'm new here. I am looking for a good quality bin that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. After reading this forum, seems like the ZRS HD is the perfect fit for me.

Now that you speculate there will be an updated model coming, do you think I should wait?

Thanks.

Regards,
Ian

jeez, look what you started Frank! :p

Ian -- can you tell us more? What's the budget? What are your priorities, e.g. type of birding? is size/weight a factor? etc. The ZRS-HD is one of the best options around $200 but there are other choices too depending on your needs.

jeez, look what you started Frank! :p

Ian -- can you tell us more? What's the budget? What are your priorities, e.g. type of birding? is size/weight a factor? etc. The ZRS-HD is one of the best options around $200 but there are other choices too depending on your needs.

Hi, I am not (yet) an avid birder so the bin will be for general usage (sight seeing, whale watching and occasionally birding). Yes, my budget is around $200 and I am also considering offerings from Hawke, Sightron, Altas Optic, Nikon Monarch 5 etc. All things equal, what caught my eye was the dielectric coating and Magnesium chassis of the ZRS-HD which I think are not available on competing models within the same price range. But then, not all dielectric coatings are equal.

I believe in buy once cry once but I have to limit my budget to around $200. So, it will be no Swarovski, Zeiss or Leica for me... :-O

Thank you and cheers!

Regards,
Ian

I would stick with 8x42 since it's the best "all around" choice and you will have only one "general use" bin. The ZRS-HD is a fine choice. It's bright, it's light and compact for a 42mm bin, relatively wide FOV, good warranty. Not much to dislike. I would have to think it's (one of) the best all-around value at $200ish.

The Sightron SII 8x32 is much beloved (I own one myself) but, unless you are looking primarily for a very lightweight package, I wouldn't necessarily want it to be the *only* binocular I owned. I think the 8x42 format is more versatile and the ZRS as noted is pretty light for this class. That said, the 8x42 model of the Sightron SII gets good reviews as well so that's a good option.

I would scratch the Atlas Optics unless you are willing to spend more for the ED, and also scratch the Monarch 5 with its restrictive FOV. The only other option I would seriously consider at $200 is the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD.

If you can stretch to $300 you are now at the demo 7x36 Zen ED2's, 6x32 Vipers, and a few other options that are slightly superior optically, but then we are getting into "budget creep".

Are you willing to order TWO pairs and do an at-home shoot-out and return the loser? If you don't mind eating the ~$15 return shipping that would be my recommendation, then you would at least be able to sample a couple of pairs (e.g. Zen-Ray ZRS HD and Bushnell Legend Ultra HD both in 8x42) and pick your favorite.

I would stick with 8x42 since it's the best "all around" choice and you will have only one "general use" bin. The ZRS-HD is a fine choice. It's bright, it's light and compact for a 42mm bin, relatively wide FOV, good warranty. Not much to dislike. I would have to think it's (one of) the best all-around value at $200ish.

The Sightron SII 8x32 is much beloved (I own one myself) but, unless you are looking primarily for a very lightweight package, I wouldn't necessarily want it to be the *only* binocular I owned. I think the 8x42 format is more versatile and the ZRS as noted is pretty light for this class. That said, the 8x42 model of the Sightron SII gets good reviews as well so that's a good option.

I would scratch the Atlas Optics unless you are willing to spend more for the ED, and also scratch the Monarch 5 with its restrictive FOV. The only other option I would seriously consider at $200 is the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD.

If you can stretch to $300 you are now at the demo 7x36 Zen ED2's, 6x32 Vipers, and a few other options that are slightly superior optically, but then we are getting into "budget creep".

Are you willing to order TWO pairs and do an at-home shoot-out and return the loser? If you don't mind eating the ~$15 return shipping that would be my recommendation, then you would at least be able to sample a couple of pairs (e.g. Zen-Ray ZRS HD and Bushnell Legend Ultra HD both in 8x42) and pick your favorite.

Yes, I am looking at the 8x and thanks for recommending the Bushnell, I will take a look at it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back