• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Early Swift departure (1 Viewer)

Still one @18:55, same as previous days. I wonder if it is always the same bird that is just sticking around for a bit.

I think they've left my area not seen then or heard any for awhile. It was great to see them this Spring/Summer.

This afternoon, 10.09.2020, 13.45h, 2 Swifts circling high for about ten minutes, against a partly heavily-clouded sky (blue and white). Temperature is agreeable, c.19° C. Never seen before after July, I think.
Eastern part of Netherlands, near German border.
Jan van der Brugge

Didn't expect to be contributing to this thread again! But this very warm morning, and a late ant mating flight brought in lots of birds over Burradon, southeast Northumbs - this lot enjoying the feast:
3 Herring Gull
70+ Black-headed Gull
1 Sparrowhawk
4 Common Swift
1 swift (sp.) - looked paler/browner than the other 4, but too distant to clinch any decent details
10+ Barn Swallow
40+ House Martin
15+ Jackdaw
20+ Common Starling

Yep - many years I don't get any September swifts at all, and the years I do, it's usually been in the first week. Mid Sept is decidedly unusual :t:

Around a dozen on 4th October on the Holme-Titchwell stretch of the North Norfolk coast. Wondering if storm Alex might have brought them up from Southern Europe.

Around a dozen on 4th October on the Holme-Titchwell stretch of the North Norfolk coast. Wondering if storm Alex might have brought them up from Southern Europe.

The two here were with 180 house martins and 20 swallows slowly moving south and with thousands of HM & SL moving south in inland UK at the same time I just presumed they came from the north with those

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back