• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

March Moths (2 Viewers)

charly streets said:
Hi all,

Whilst we're on the subject, I took this early last April and for some reason I thought it was too worn to positively ID it. I had it down as a possible Common Quaker- any pointers as to why it is or isn't.Cheers, Charly. :t:

Looks like a Common Quaker to me Charly.

Has a few here in the last few days

All the best
Pete H

I've no trouble with that as a Common Quaker Charly.

BTW Pete, thank for sending up a Satellite! First for the garden last night and a long awaited first for me. I'll get pics tomorrow.

brianhstone said:
BTW Pete, thank for sending up a Satellite! First for the garden last night and a long awaited first for me. I'll get pics tomorrow.

Brian, good to hear you've had your Satellite at last - excellent.

Last night (25th) was pretty wet here with a bit of breeze at times, min temp 9.2C. 83 moths of 17 species in four traps, 3x125MV and 1x40W actinic:

Yellow Horned (10)
March Moth (3)
Oak Beauty (7) - I find it very difficult not to photograph them any more!
Small Quaker (18)
Common Quaker (1)
Clouded Drab (1)
Twin-spotted Quaker (1)
Hebrew Character (3)
Grey Shoulder-knot (1)
Satellite (1)
Chestnut (26)
Depressaria daucella (1)
Agonopterix alstromeriana (2) - new for the year
Agonopterix arenella (1)
Agonopterix assimilella/scopariella (1) - to be gen detted, see piccie below
Tortricodes alternella (4)
Acleris ferrugana (1)

I spent some of yesterday at the microscope with 8 Acleris, all of which turned out to be ferrugana, 7 males and 1 female. They all looked very similar. Last night's ferrugana was more heavily spotted but has the two distinctive tufts on the wings. I had a couple like this last year too. So no A. notanas yet this year!

The A. assimilella/scopariella was very worn, see piccie. Any comments on this one?

Tonight is very mild, double figures, so it's all systems go. Already a few Small Quakers on the lawn are now in the trap and an Oak Beauty or two too.

All the best for tonight
Pete H

Attachments

• Acleris ferrugana 060325 5831t.jpg
    Acleris ferrugana 060325 5831t.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Agonopterix  gen det 060325 5836t.jpg
    Agonopterix gen det 060325 5836t.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Agonopterix alstromeriana 060325 5832t.jpg
    Agonopterix alstromeriana 060325 5832t.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 41
Pete, I like the spider! Funnily enough I photo'd at least 12 different ones I found doing the plot sampling over the weekend at Raglitz, all under 1cm body length. No I am not about to start spiders, but a photo record can't do any harm, somebody may find the data useful.

I also trapped at our Orchard on Friday (mickey mouse lamp) and Saturday(Andrews, 'Robinson').

Friday was warmish 7°C+, but a strong wind blowing from over snow, meant uncomfortable conditions to stand around in. At 23:00 it was 4°C, and results;

Dotted Border 1
Barred Tooth-striped 1

Saturday was a pleasant 11°C but cloudless. 22:30 3°C.
Early Moth 2
Barred Tooth-striped 1
Plumed Prominent 1

Earlier I got a Ypsolopha ustella in the house, which must have been brought it in with firewood.

On Saturday night, a local Mother Peter Buchner came round for the first time, and we did alot of catch up ID work from 2005 while the light was on outside. I take my hat off to this man, he started 5 years ago, has caught, photographed, (gen prep.'d when necessary), and made a picture folder presentation of the normals and variants of 1680 specie 3-5 km from Raglitz!! His work is absolutely amazing,(some of his early work is in the Austrian Schmetterlinge link amongst Ken's URL thread) and we now look forward to meeting more regularly. 2006 is looking good.

Question; Early Moth Theria primaria and Theria rupicapraria, according to a book I have here they are the same moth, only T. primaria is a variant and is less distinctly marked. Looking at photos I see it, but find the point debateable and in the West of Austria both forms are found. In the east we only have Theria rupicapraria see attached example. Opinions please.

Cheers for now B :)

Jim

Attachments

• Early Moth, Theria rupicapraria  P3264029.jpg
    Early Moth, Theria rupicapraria P3264029.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 52
brianhstone said:
Most seem to refer to Theria primaria (Haworth, 1809) (or should that be (Haworth, [1809])?). Leps.it list both this and T. rupicapraria ([Denis & Schiffermüller], 1775):
http://www.leps.it/indexjs.htm?SpeciesPages/TheriRupic.htm

The finish site makes no mention of rupicapraria at all:
http://www.ftp.funet.fi/index/Tree_of_life/intro.html

Sure you've already done all this Jim but it shows its puzzling.

Thanks Brian, and this is exactly my point. Maybe as you go west the colour, (after many thousands of years) has just got washed out of their DNA abit? There appears to be no genital variation recorded, but I take it this has been a debated subject in the higher loftier heights of entomology before and in our time too.

I got a caterpillar here in Wien last year, there is absolutely no difference to Porters photo, or description.

Cheers

Jim

I just wonder why the later name has been adopted. I don't understand taxonomy & precedence. Perhaps someone on UK Moths will be able to enlighten us.

Last night (26th)

Things started really hotting up last night (26th) with min temp of 9.8C, lots of rain and and slight breeze early but pretty windy later on. 160 moths of 15 species as follows:

Yellow Horned (11)
March Moth (1)
Oak Beauty (16)
Dotted Border (1)
Small Quaker (63)
Common Quaker (9)
Clouded Drab (3)
Twin-spotted Quaker (2)
Hebrew Character (12)
Chestnut (34)
Dotted Chestnut (1) - new for year
Tortricoded Alternella (4)
Acleris ferrugana (1)
Unid'd Agonopterix (1) - too wet to photograph yet (photo later)
Unid'd Yponomeutidae (1) - "

Total for year now 1039 moths of 33 species, 22 macros and 11 micros.

Hope the weather stays this warm with a lot less wind and not so heavy rain.

All the best
Pete H

black52bird said:
I posted 2 pictures of a moth I caught on Monday, asking for any suggestions, but I've been having another go myself, and the nearest I can come to it is Powdered Quaker (Orthosia gracilis). I suggest this on the basis of the kidney mark having the inner past marked more darkly, the rows of dark dots towards the trailing edge of the wings. I've looked at the pictures (318 in Waring; Plate 30 in Skinner) plus the ones in the local Hungarian book, and whilst all the pictures are much paler than my specimen, Waring does say ground colours goes 'to blackish' which is the first impression I had of this.
Could any of you with experience of Powdered Quaker please take a look at the pictures (reproduced below with 2 more very similar ones) and give me your opinion?
Thanks in advance

David

David,

I can't see that this is anything other than Conistra vaccinii (The Chestnut). Or am I missing something?

Mike

Pete Haynes said:
The A. assimilella/scopariella was very worn, see piccie. Any comments on this one?

Pete H

It's pretty manky, and flight times would be wrong for assimilella which doesn't overwinter. Looks not unlike A.heracliana, which would be far more likely. Gen.det. job if you're that worried about it, Pete!

Mike

MikeWall said:
It's pretty manky, and flight times would be wrong for assimilella which doesn't overwinter. Looks not unlike A.heracliana, which would be far more likely. Gen.det. job if you're that worried about it, Pete!

Mike

Yeh. Gen det it is Mike.

Thanks
Pete H

Reader said:
Hi Brian

Is it right then that Common Quakers have the feathered antennae. I hadn't realised they had that.

John

John,

Most male moths have feathered antennae, to a greater or lesser extent, all the better to 'smell' the females. While this can be a useful determining feature for some species, wing characteristics are far more diagnostic for the majority of species. You will be getting a lot of Lead-coloured Drabs otherwise!

Mike

Monday night was the first real moth night here, really mild, and unfortunately I was so knackered I couldn't make the most of it!! Switched off at 22:10 with incoming moths, its not fair!!! :-O

3 March moth
2 Spring Usher
1 Dotted Border
1 Small Quaker
1 Common Quaker

Yesterday a Hebrew Character hatched from a June 2005 pupation. It still hadn't unfolded it's wings when I found it in the glass, it was nice to take a moment and watch it stretch them out. Obligatory photos were taken and then it was released!

All for now

Jim

I found this moth resting on the underside of a bag of compost (peat-free of course) today. It looks to me like a Heart and Dart but what's it doing out in March as this species overwinters as a larva and doesn't fly until May?

Attachments

• WhatsThis290306.jpg
    WhatsThis290306.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 86
Could someone please confirm (or not) that this is a melanic Spring Usher? I attach a normal which I am using as a comparison, 5mm grid.

I found it on a wall yesterday, sheltering from rather pisistent rain.

Thanks in anticipation.

Jim

Attachments

• JPG Grid Melanic Spring Usher P3294166.jpg
    JPG Grid Melanic Spring Usher P3294166.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 66
  • JPG Grid Spring Usher P3284083.jpg
    JPG Grid Spring Usher P3284083.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 72
Well, it's certainly melanic, Jim ;)
I wouldn't like to say for certain but it could well be a spring usher. What are the other possibilities. The stripe on the abdomen looks right.
I had a few moths last night despite heavy rain.
common quaker 2
small quaker sev
oak beauty 3
March moth
Yellow horned (one rather dark one)
Chestnut (nfy)

Ken

Attachments

• chestnut1c.jpg
    chestnut1c.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 47
No moths in the trap last night but this one decided to take shelter in the kitchen. I have no idea what it is, can anyone help with the id?

Cheers

Alex

Attachments

• DSC_3624-01_moth.jpg
    DSC_3624-01_moth.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC_3626-01_Moth.jpg
    DSC_3626-01_Moth.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 71
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back