• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

March Moths (1 Viewer)

Last Night (31st)

I thought you'd come up trumps last night Angus. A good night here too with a min temp of 8.6C, dry till 10.30 then quite a bit of rain, not too much wind though. 198 moths of 15 species with all the usual suspects. Highlights were first Shoulder Stripe and Early Tooth-striped of the year plus 93 Small Quakers. Only 2 micros, a cristana and a hastiana.

No more trapping for me till next Thursday. Best of luck to everybody in the meantime.

Pete H

Attachments

• Early Tooth-striped 060331 5957t.jpg
    Early Tooth-striped 060331 5957t.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Shoulder Stripe 060331 5957t.jpg
    Shoulder Stripe 060331 5957t.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 69
Drabs in Budapest, too!

brianhstone said:
Wing shape is probably going to be the best indicator. Tricky but one of the pics on my ID page shows it.
http://brianhstone.fireflyinternet.co.uk/drabs.htm

Brian
I'm really grateful for this timely reminder. Having caught the two specimens illustrated below, I'd just come into the site intending to look up our correspondence from last, as the same ID problems were recurring. And then you'd already given us the link!!

I'm putting these two up, because whilst No 2 seems to clearly be a female Clouded Drab on wing pattern and shape, I'd wanted the other to be a male Lead-coloured on colour alone, but then the antennae seem to be Clouded, too!!

So just two variations on a theme of Clouded Drab.

Would you...and others.... agree?

Very best

David

Attachments

• 060331 Drab 01 04.JPG
    060331 Drab 01 04.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 060331 Drab 01 06.JPG
    060331 Drab 01 06.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 060331 Drab 02 01.JPG
    060331 Drab 02 01.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 060331 Drab 02 05 .JPG
    060331 Drab 02 05 .JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 060331 Drab 02 06.JPG
    060331 Drab 02 06.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 65
Chestnut

MikeWall said:
David,

I can't see that this is anything other than Conistra vaccinii (The Chestnut). Or am I missing something?

Mike

Mike,
You're only missing what's going on in my head, which is hardly surprising!!! (LOL) I hadn't considered The Chestnut because this specimen wasn't chestnut, but I know that's not a good answer...... And Waring clearly does say 'less frequent forms are heavily dusted and/or streaked with light brown or grey.
As I have the specimen still (unfortunately it popped its clogs before I could let it go) I'll have a good look at it, underwing included.
Thanks for the help.
David

Had an excellent night last night - into double figures at last including two new species for the trap. Chestnut and Lead-coloured Drab. Also had my first micro - Emmelina monodactyla

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back