• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x30 E II vs Contemporary Binos (1 Viewer)

perseid28

I considered adding this post to the giant E II thread, but maybe it would be better to start a new one.

For those of you who own or have owned an 8x30 E II, how does it compare to other modern binoculars you've tried, particularly the the Conquest HD and similar models? I'm looking to replace my 8x32 Conquest HD with something a bit cheaper, but hopefully having close to the same optical and mechanical quality. I've been eyeing the E IIs for a few years now, but wanted to get people's opinions before I buy a pair sight-unseen from a Japanese retailer (probably with no return policy). Is the glare control and contrast on par with the Zeiss Conquest and Terra Roofs? Have you ever had issues with fungus inside the binoculars, or collimation? Thanks in advance.

We have the 8x EII and the 8x32 Conquest HD. IMO the build quality of the EII surpasses that of the Zeiss, although this is admittedly from my impressions of how they feel in the hand, and not because one broke down when the other didn't. The EII just feels like a more precisely-made object to me. IMO the EII has slightly better contrast and a slightly warmer color than the Zeiss. Obviously the Nikon has a wider FOV. I think that the Zeiss is slightly sharper in the central area, but not to an extent that is actually useable. The Nikon's focus wheel feels a bit more precise, but it is also slightly harder to turn. Both are fine for me. I haven't been able to asses glare control between the two.

Our EII's have not had any problems of any type. In fact, our 10x was knocked off a low table onto a concrete floor by an overly excited 100lb golden retriever's tail, and besides a small dent on both housings, it did not suffer any change in it's overall excellent view.

IMO the EII competes with "contemporary" binos in all aspects except one, and that is waterproofness (not sure if that is a real word), which it is not. Doesn't bother me a bit. I just don't use it in the rain, or while boating. If however you think you might one day be glassing in the rain, you probably shouldn't get rid of the Zeiss. It is after all an exceptional bino in and of itself.......

I own an EII and have only looked through the Conquest at a camera store. To my eyes the Nikon are only matched in performance by very few binoculars and the Conquest isn't one of them. Only disadvantage of EII is that they are not waterproof.

I own an EII and have only looked through the Conquest at a camera store. To my eyes the Nikon are only matched in performance by very few binoculars and the Conquest isn't one of them. Only disadvantage of EII is that they are not waterproof.

I had a pair of 8x32 SEs that I regret selling, and have found that I miss the 3D porro view. I also prefer the SE's focusing action, and assume the E II would be similar. The lack of a US warranty scares me a little, but hopefully the binoculars are solid enough that I'd never need one anyway. I don't think I've ever read of someone having fungus growth in their E IIs or SEs, so lack of waterproofness might not be such a big issue.

I considered adding this post to the giant E II thread, but maybe it would be better to start a new one.

For those of you who own or have owned an 8x30 E II, how does it compare to other modern binoculars you've tried, particularly the the Conquest HD and similar models? I'm looking to replace my 8x32 Conquest HD with something a bit cheaper, but hopefully having close to the same optical and mechanical quality. I've been eyeing the E IIs for a few years now, but wanted to get people's opinions before I buy a pair sight-unseen from a Japanese retailer (probably with no return policy). Is the glare control and contrast on par with the Zeiss Conquest and Terra Roofs? Have you ever had issues with fungus inside the binoculars, or collimation? Thanks in advance.
I would be cautious about replacing your Zeiss Conquest's HD 8x32 with the Nikon EII. The Conquest is a better all around binocular and it is waterproof and dustproof and fogproof. So if you bird in any cold or wet weather the Conquest is a better choice. With time the EII will suck dust into the binocular with the action of eyepieces so be aware of that. The roof view is different than the porro view and some prefer the roof view and vice versa so make sure you like the porro view. For really close up viewing the roof has less parallax and will perform better and will merge close objects easier. The EII also tilts when it hangs from it's strap which can be bothersome. The EII does have super optics for the price just be aware of it's quirks.

Last edited:
Mark,

A critical factor is eye relief. In that respect the 8x EII is inadequate for me, so it matters not how good the optics are. And they have outstanding optics.

Ed

Hi,

I have both and will post a short opinion on the one vs the other when I get some time for it. I'm very busy with day to day and the kids extra curricular activities and work is down one so this may push out some. Generally speaking, both are better than very good!!! The big difference is one is a porro and one is a roof... so comparing ergonomics is apples to oranges; classic vs mod. The EII offers a larger FOV if that is a priority to you (EII about 460 ft vs Conquest HD about 420 ft). I also owned the 8x SE... stunning optics, but I didn't take to the porro ergonomics.

CG

Last edited:
The E II and a Ultravid 8x42 HD are the only bins I own. I like the E II, especially its wide FOV. For some time I tried to use it a lot in the field when I wanted to have a lighter bin, e.g. for mountain walks. I gave up on this, they sit now on the shelf and I grab them to watch a fox or deer around the house.

I can't really put it down for what exact reasons, but for me the Ultravid clearly wins over the E II. The Ultravid is just much more comfortable to use all around. With the E II, I always was fiddling aorund to get the most comfortable grip and eye placement, to get the sharpest focus set etc. I was thinking a lot about the binocular when using it out on the field. Not with the Ultravid, I don't waste a thought to the bin when using it, it does its job and is not distracting the slightest bit from what I want: watching birds.

I don't know the Conquest HD 8x32, but I'd expect the handling being superior to the E II as well. The optics of the E II are fine though, no issues here.

Last edited:
Mark,

I still have my EII, I`v compared it over 2 years to my SE and SV, both in 8x32, and an 8x42 UVHD, and my current 7x42 UVHD+ and Meopta Meostar 8x32.

I`ll start by stating that IMO the EII` mechanical and optical quality are superb, I`v used it in all weathers in a very damp part of Britain with no problem, in fact I`m not sure if Dennis can substantiate that the EII will suck in dust over time, our own Bill uses an SE and reckons they are as well sealed as anything out there, and he should know. Waterproofing in terms of submersion is one thing, being superbly sealed against the weather is another matter and I reckon the EII is more than adequately sealed for a careful owner.

IMO the EII is a hair behind the SE and SV in terms of absolute sharpness within its sweetspot, two hairs behind the UVHD+, but ahead of the UVHD and Meostar in my personal experience and examples.

I`v not compared it to your Zeiss.

There is nothing quite like the EII and if you are willing to make some effort with its use and not take it for granted as you may your Conquest its a joy to own, however if you are to get one I`d recommend keeping the Zeiss for when you want a bin that can be abused.

John.

Mark,

I still have my EII, I`v compared it over 2 years to my SE and SV, both in 8x32, and an 8x42 UVHD, and my current 7x42 UVHD+ and Meopta Meostar 8x32.

I`ll start by stating that IMO the EII` mechanical and optical quality are superb, I`v used it in all weathers in a very damp part of Britain with no problem, in fact I`m not sure if Dennis can substantiate that the EII will suck in dust over time, our own Bill uses an SE and reckons they are as well sealed as anything out there, and he should know. Waterproofing in terms of submersion is one thing, being superbly sealed against the weather is another matter and I reckon the EII is more than adequately sealed for a careful owner.

IMO the EII is a hair behind the SE and SV in terms of absolute sharpness within its sweetspot, two hairs behind the UVHD+, but ahead of the UVHD and Meostar in my personal experience and examples.

I`v not compared it to your Zeiss.

There is nothing quite like the EII and if you are willing to make some effort with its use and not take it for granted as you may your Conquest its a joy to own, however if you are to get one I`d recommend keeping the Zeiss for when you want a bin that can be abused.

John.
I have heard comments from people who own the SE and EII that after awhile you have to get them cleaned because they are not sealed they will suck in dust like an accordion with the action of the focuser. On the other hand sealed binoculars will go for years with out any problem.

Last edited:
I have heard comments from people who own the SE and EII that after awhile you have to get them cleaned because they are not sealed they will suck in dust like an accordion with the action of the focuser. On the other hand sealed binoculars will go for years with out any problem.

Fair enough but that`s anecdotal, I`ll have to wait and see if mine suffer as badly as you suggest, like I say Bill reckons the sealing is first rate, and lets face it he must have the most experience to draw on amongst forum members.

Perhaps any members reading this thread would like to comment if they have in fact had a problem with dust getting into their SE or EII.

I`v owned a 500*** AND 550*** SE both dust free.

The Conquest HD takes shotgun blasts in its stride.

With waterproof Porro CF binoculars. I suppose it is one thing to immerse it in water and another to repeatedly focus under water.
Apparently Russian Porro binoculars can take immersion, at least some of them, but I don't think I'd like to focus one under water.
The close focus must change under water. For looking at mermaids.

I suppose one could train a seal to recover drowned binoculars. I have heard of several friends losing binoculars overboard. Some bounce quite well into the water.

P.S.
I just spent over an hour with my optician testing my eyes. About half way through.
While he thought I wasn't looking he cleaned my spectacles with his tie. Seemed to be a clean tie.
So that must be a good recommended cleaning method.

Last edited:
I've owned the 8x30 and 10x35 Eii binoculars for several years and experienced no dust, fungus or collimation problems. They deliver superb wide field images.

P.S.
I just spent over an hour with my optician testing my eyes. About half way through.
While he thought I wasn't looking he cleaned my spectacles with his tie. Seemed to be a clean tie.
So that must be a good recommended cleaning method.

As a former infection control bod, I can tell you for free that the horrific assortment of gunk that was grown in Petri dishes from tie swabs would make me bleach my glasses and turn very unpleasent for the optician to deal with.

That is absolutely horrific behaviour for a professional health care provider to do, especially an instrument that will go by the eyes and be touched regularly. There is a real reason behind student and qualified doctors being told to ditch the ties. They are rancid filth, and alarmingly, rarely cleaned.

Thanks for the info Ratal.
I'll clean the glasses with alcohol.
Not the drinking kind.

I gave up wearing ties decades ago.
I never cleaned them, just changed them.

P.S.
I cleaned 5 different glasses that were used during this afternoon's testing, as I don't know which were 'tied'.
First with alcohol, later clean water.
I must admit that he usually uses the cloths supplied with the glasses, so I was surprised.

It reminds me of the film 'Roadtrip' (2000).
The scene in the restaurant when someone complained about the food is a classic reminder of what staff can do if they so wish.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the feedback. Maybe I should think a bit longer before swapping the Conquest for an E II. My main reasons for wanting to switch were: cheaper price, the Conquest seems to struggle a bit in overcast skies (greenish tinge to objects silhouetted against the sky, rather finicky eye placement), and finding perfect focus can take a little fiddling--this last one may be more my fault than the binocular's.

Anyone know what the Japanese Nikon warranty policy is, in regards to duration and whether there is no fault included?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back