• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Turkey in late August/early September (1 Viewer)

Peter Follett said:
Going to Southern Turkey in late August, Dalaman area, does anyone have any information on bird species?

I've only been to Turkey twice, once in September and once in May, so I can't claim to know very much but will try to help as much as I can. I found Spring to be much better as all the breeding birds are there and you also catch some migration whereas in Autumn a lot of birds seemed to be moving through and it was more hit and miss.
Let me know where and how far you intend to travel and what your target species are, either by pm or on this thread.
I also used a few trip reports from the internet which helped a lot.

THere are quite a few trip reports based around Dalyan that will give you a fair idea of what to expect. Try a google search on Dalyan & Bird Report.

From my experience the main feature will be a returning Shrike and Wagtail passage (especially around the Dalyan delta) that will test your id skills to the full!

Birding after about 10:00 can be hard work in August so I'd recommend early starts then (like the birs) take a break during the heat of the day.

White-breasted (Smyrna) and Pied Kingfisher are still in the area west of Koyceygiz and a trip on the lake with a sympathetic boatman should produce terns including Caspian, all three Marsh as well as a chance of Pygmy Cormorant and migrating waterfowl.

Most of the usual heron/egret sp should be around suitable areas.

Kruper's will still be around - try the woods at Istuzu beach near Dalyan.

Raptors could ionclude White-tailed, Short-toed Eagle, Steppe and Honey Buzzard, harriers, Black Kite, Red-footed & Eleanora's Falcon depending on the winds and your luck.

Have a great trip.

worth getting hold of a trip report by Julian Hough. it's several years old now but has maps to many areas around there...

I think Steve Whitehouse / FBRIS may still have a copy if you gogle them.

Tim

Rob Smallwood said:
THere are quite a few trip reports based around Dalyan that will give you a fair idea of what to expect. Try a google search on Dalyan & Bird Report.

From my experience the main feature will be a returning Shrike and Wagtail passage (especially around the Dalyan delta) that will test your id skills to the full!

Birding after about 10:00 can be hard work in August so I'd recommend early starts then (like the birs) take a break during the heat of the day.

White-breasted (Smyrna) and Pied Kingfisher are still in the area west of Koyceygiz and a trip on the lake with a sympathetic boatman should produce terns including Caspian, all three Marsh as well as a chance of Pygmy Cormorant and migrating waterfowl.

Most of the usual heron/egret sp should be around suitable areas.

Kruper's will still be around - try the woods at Istuzu beach near Dalyan.

Raptors could ionclude White-tailed, Short-toed Eagle, Steppe and Honey Buzzard, harriers, Black Kite, Red-footed & Eleanora's Falcon depending on the winds and your luck.

Have a great trip.
Scops owl should still be in town as well

Indeed - sometimes around the Mosque but watch out for Little's there too!

Always felt that the Rock Tombs should hold Eagle Owl too but never even heard one!

Rob Smallwood said:
Indeed - sometimes around the Mosque but watch out for Little's there too!

Always felt that the Rock Tombs should hold Eagle Owl too but never even heard one!
Local sightings have confirmed just that Rob

A timely thread there Peter seeing as I'm booked up for Dalyan at the end of September/Oct myself and was just about to make some enquiries of my own.

I'll probably concentrate around the Dalyan/Istuzu areas as well as Caunos Ruins & Lake Koycegiz but will be hiring a car for a few days to get to the likes of Kayakoy, Korketelli and Bafa Golu.

I've bought the Gosney guide - 'Finding Birds in Western Turkey' off Birdguides for £6. Although its perhaps slightly out of date its still a handy thing to have, not least for the maps and directions, and will accompany me along with various trip reports while I'm over there.

Anyway, hope you enjoy your trip and I'll look forward to hearing about it on your return.

Alan

Alan G, If you are heading out to Bafu Golu try the meanderes delta which is only a bit further on. Try my thread which is wrongly titled South East Turkey

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back