• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon SE vs Everything. (1 Viewer)

As a more affordable option to the Nikon... has anyone tried the newish opticron 8x32 t wp Porro?? The specs look good 8.1 fov, close focus of 3 metres, fully coated Bak 4 & Waterproof..?

Main disadvantages of the SE vs E2: Tunnel view (worsened by flatter field). Black out tendencies.

E2s have more sample variation, worse build quality than the SE, and both Nikons - compared to the Swarovski offers - are quite astonishingly dark in view. Something which keeps puzzling me although I don´t own any of the Nikon porros anymore.

I would agree though that looking through an E2 (or Habicht in my case) you might wonder what the fuzz about the 8x32 Swarovision is about...

Before I go to whatever effort it takes to find a good pair I'd like to clarify a few things first. I've heard comments from (to paraphrase) "quit going on about your EIIs and get a pair of SEs and then you'll know what good optics are " to " well they're not that much different from your EIIs" (this from an man who wrote a book on optics.)
So you can see there are differing opinions here. I believe that the SE is good but my question is, how good?

For comparison I currently own Swarovski 8x32 EL, Leica Ultravid 10x32, Kowa Genesis 8x33, Nikon EII 8x30 and 10x35.

I just spent this beautiful afternoon out with the 8x30 EII and I've concluded that they are just as good if not better overall than any of my little group of bins and the only reason I spent gobs of cash for the expensive roofs is because it's not all sunny dry bright days where I live and I don't want to worry about keeping a binocular dry during our long rainy winters. Well that and I really really like using different optics ;) But if it was all dry and sunny I could have saved my money and be using the EIIs exclusively and been beautifully happy.

Now I really like the porros for their 3D close up views. I think it's the most pleasing view in all of binoculardom, so if there is something that is a solid step better out there I'd like to own one. However after viewing all my current binoculars and seeing how close they all are optically I'm not convinced that a seriously better binocular is out there.

So can anyone tell me why I'd greatly benefit from finding and buying the Nikon SE, or am I chasing a fantasy?

I just upgraded from a Nikon 8x30E to an E2 and the increased brightness was the main thing that struck me, more than the slightly wider field. I had hoped that I could now stop looking for “better”, any brighter view and I would need sunglasses!?

Cheers

Peter

There are binoculars with higher light transmission figures than the EII, but brightness isn't necessarily the be-all and end-all, especially at this time of the year. I have been using single coated porros (of earlier vintage than your 8x30E - transmission ranging from probably 60% to 70%) for the great majority of my birdwatching ever since this great summer weather arrived, mainly for their large fields of view, and have not felt I needed more brightness.

I enjoy using my Nikon SE 8x32 binoculars. I also have a pair of Nikon SE 12x50 that I carry to the field, usually with a monopod, for nature viewing and night sky observing.

Last edited:
I do think that is a myth often spoken about on this site. If not, then where is our same premium money going when we buy Leica and Zeiss? Are you suggesting that Leica and
Zeiss have chosen to invest this premium by creating superior products to Swarovski at the expense of their inferior after sales service? No.

Swarovski quality and performance is at least comparable to any other premium product, quite regardless of their after sales service. I just think of their after sales service as a huge bonus.

Hi Rathaus
A myth is something that lives in peoples' imagination and not reality. Swaro customer service is real and it must be funded by Swaro's income from sales. In this sense Swaro customer service and its link to product pricing isn't mythical though it may be legendary.
Leica and Zeiss CS has never been as consistently supportive, worldwide, although there are distinct signs that Zeiss is making efforts in this direction.

Lee

Also, that memories are long in birding, and old attitudes difficult to shift. Personally, i have experienced peerless service from Zeiss UK on two occasions; whether this is universal, i don't know. However, i have older birding buddies who still refer to Leica as Leitz, and remember a past period of poor after-sales support. It would take some work to overcome this attitude within this group.
With the law of diminishing returns, you would expect that paying perhaps £500 - £800 more than a marginally-inferior binocular would cost is actually buying you something....

In my experience the SE is the much better glass, should have way less sample variation than the E2s. I am always fighting with the E2s. Contrast has never been up to premium level IMO in the E2s.

http://www.greatestbinoculars.com/allpages/reviews/nikon/nikon8x30e2100thanniversary/nikon8x30e2_100th_anniversary.html

I sold my 8x32 SE because it was a bit too dark, colors a bit too muddy and had a tunnel view. Also, the close up performance of a modern roof prism glass like a 32mm Ultravid is much appreciated. And the SE is VERY bulky, especially compared to my 8x32 Ultravid, and of course the latest 8x30s from Swarovski and Nikon. That said, I thought optically the SE put to shame the 8x32 Swarovision, because it flares much less.

I recommend sticking with 8x32, a 4mm exit pupil is better than a 3mm one. And a small pocket size glass is better than a big one because it is always available. If I were to have only one glass, it would be the Ultravid 8x32. Much different image from the Swarovision, but needs some discipline in setting up and using. Roofs are easier than porros. For real work with the bins, a 7x42.

Nothing wrong with chasing this kind of fantasy.

Before I go to whatever effort it takes to find a good pair I'd like to clarify a few things first. I've heard comments from (to paraphrase) "quit going on about your EIIs and get a pair of SEs and then you'll know what good optics are " to " well they're not that much different from your EIIs" (this from an man who wrote a book on optics.)
So you can see there are differing opinions here. I believe that the SE is good but my question is, how good?

For comparison I currently own Swarovski 8x32 EL, Leica Ultravid 10x32, Kowa Genesis 8x33, Nikon EII 8x30 and 10x35.

I just spent this beautiful afternoon out with the 8x30 EII and I've concluded that they are just as good if not better overall than any of my little group of bins and the only reason I spent gobs of cash for the expensive roofs is because it's not all sunny dry bright days where I live and I don't want to worry about keeping a binocular dry during our long rainy winters. Well that and I really really like using different optics ;) But if it was all dry and sunny I could have saved my money and be using the EIIs exclusively and been beautifully happy.

Now I really like the porros for their 3D close up views. I think it's the most pleasing view in all of binoculardom, so if there is something that is a solid step better out there I'd like to own one. However after viewing all my current binoculars and seeing how close they all are optically I'm not convinced that a seriously better binocular is out there.

So can anyone tell me why I'd greatly benefit from finding and buying the Nikon SE, or am I chasing a fantasy?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back