• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thoughts on IS (1 Viewer)

lmans66

Out Birding....
Supporter
United States
I know everyone says that when you use a camera + tripod, you turn off the IS or VR. Now...given that I use a tri-pod and a camera and my scope and have a bit of movement in it as I take a photo, should I keep the IS still on? There is hand movement essentially, right?

If I had a remote shutter I would cut back on any hand vibration as I take the shot, but without, I have a small amount of movement in the lens. That is my thinking.. Ideas?

Some of the newer IS lenses have a setting for tripod use. Moose Peterson says on his blog that he ignores the Nikon advice and always has IS on (tripod or not). As others have said, experiment both ways with your particular camera / lens / tripod and use whatever works best.

Cheers.

Or depends if your lens is tripod sensing or not from what I see - I always leave the I.S. when using a tripod (mode 2 Canon system).

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back