• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2018 List Going? (5 Viewers)

Today was my annual pilgrimage to the Wyre Forest. Before during to there I had to take my dog for a walk and along the route I saw my first Willow Warbler of the year.

I had 5 target birds to find. Four of them were relatively easy but the Redstarts were missing from their usual areas but thankfully I managed to hear one then see one in an area where I haven't seen one before.

Just before I left the forest a message came through telling me that an Osprey was only four miles from my house at Brandon Marsh, some 55 miles away. I had to drop my dog off at home first, as they are not allowed there. Two hours later I was watching the Osprey catching fish. An excellent finish to a lovely day.

139. Willow Warbler
140. Tree Pipit
141. Pied Flycatcher
142. Wood Warbler
143. Dipper
144. Osprey

Very productive lunch break birding session in Uppsala today.

462. Ring Ouzel
463. Brambling
464. Common Chiffchaff
465. Eurasian Penduline Tit

A little birding after work this afternoon produced a new bird.

232. Chimney Swift

The two I saw were a bit early—I usually see swifts more toward late April or early May.

Dave

I popped over to Brandon Marsh again to see the Osprey. It was thankfully easy to find and watch.

As I walked around the reserve I did add three more birds to my year list.

145. Common Tern
146. Sedge Warbler
147. Cetti's Warbler

The morning’s birding was very slow with no new birds to show for my efforts. Before calling it a day, I decided to try one last location, and hit the jackpot, finding two birds that are rare and hard to find in this county.

233. Golden Eagle
234. Pine Warbler

Sometimes perseverance pays off.

Dave

Last edited:
One more in the front garden.

19 April

My house, Chevy Chase, MD, USA
219. Fish Crow

Latest Lifer: 713 : Louisiana Waterthrush (Central Park, New York, NY, USA; April 2018)

Nice layover birding at Istanbul airport in pretty much the nicest airport lounge I've ever been to.

21 April

İstanbul Atatürk Havalimanı, Istanbul, Turkey
220. Alpine Swift
221. Hooded Crow
222. Greater Short-toed Lark

Latest Lifer: 715 : Greater Short-toed Lark (İstanbul Atatürk Havalimanı, Istanbul, Turkey; April 2018)

Went to Al-Qurm Natural Park in Muscat for some mid-morning birding and it was very, very hot. Was a treat seeing so many Indian Rollers again. Also finally spotted the Purple Sunbird.

22 April

Al-Qurm Natural Park, Muscat, Oman
223. Red-wattled Lapwing
224. Common Redshank
225. Laughing Dove
226. Indian Roller
227. House Crow
228. Red-vented Bulbul
229. White-eared Bulbul
230. Common Myna
231. Purple Sunbird

Latest Lifer: 716 : Purple Sunbird (Al-Qurm Natural Park, Muscat, Oman; April 2018)

A good day today, although I wasn't going out until I heard that a Drake Garganey was only 4 miles away at Brandon Marsh. Sadly dogs are not allowed there so I had to leave him at home thinking I would be no more than an hour. The Garganey was found straight away so I started to explore the reeds for a Reed Warbler I could hear but didn't find. Walking further up the track I heard then saw a Whitethroat just as my phone went off.

My mate had found a stonking male Whinchat at the side of Coventry Airport so I started the walk back to the car and on the way heard, then saw a Reed Warbler.

Upon reaching the Whinchat site I quickly found the Whinchat and what a cracker he was as well. My mate was still there and pointed to where there was a female Wheatear, As I scoped her 4 Swallows flew over.

It was off to home for a quick sandwich and to pick up my dog as a male Ring Ouzel had been found less than 20 miles away at Little Packington. The bird was easy to find. My only regret was forgetting to take my camera with me as he was a well marked specimen.

148. Garganey
149. Whitethroat
150. Reed Warbler
151. Whinchat
152. Wheatear
153. Swallow
154. Ring Ouzel

This morning I went to the eastern panhandle of West Virginia. Despite high expectations, I only found three new birds for the year.

235. Warbling Vireo
236. Prothonotary Warbler
237. Loggerhead Shrike

The warbler is a bird that is not found in my part of the state, so it was good to see that one.

Unfortunately, the shrike doesn’t count on my West Virginia Year List. The birds breed in an area where a small back road runs along the state line between West Virginia and Virginia. The shrike stayed on the Virginia side and never flew across the road into West Virginia.

Dave

A few more birds outside my hotel...

22 April

Grand Hyatt Muscat, Muscat, Oman
232. Sooty Gull
233. Saunders's Tern
234. Common Tern
235. Great Crested Tern

Latest Lifer: 716 : Purple Sunbird (Al-Qurm Natural Park, Muscat, Oman; April 2018)

I have been out for a couple of days in Norfolk & Suffolk. A few to add to my list.

156. House Martin
157. Stone Curlew
158. Nightingale
159. Kittiwake
160. Dartford Warbler
161. Bittern
162. Sandwich Tern
163. Sanderling

Had a great day birding in and outside Sofia with Dancho Hristov. Saw lots of raptors and many lifers.

24 April

Aldomirovtsi Marsh, Bulgaria
236. Garganey
237. Ferruginous Duck
238. Sedge Warbler
239. Eurasian Reed Warbler
240. Savi's Warbler

Dragoman Marsh, Bulgaria
241. Purple Heron
242. Northern Lapwing
243. Ruff
244. Common Greenshank
245. Wood Sandpiper
246. Eurasian Hoopoe
247. Woodchat Shrike
248. Northern Wheatear

Petarch Ponds, Bulgaria
249. Little Egret
250. Squacco Heron
251. Eurasian Marsh-Harrier
252. Eurasian Sparrowhawk
253. Long-legged Buzzard
254. Common Sandpiper
255. Common Cuckoo
256. Red-footed Falcon
257. Red-backed Shrike
258. Common Raven
259. Eurasian Skylark
260. Great Reed Warbler
261. Eurasian Blackcap
262. Greater Whitethroat
263. Common Nightingale
264. European Stonechat
265. Western Yellow Wagtail
266. Ortolan Bunting
267. Corn Bunting
268. European Goldfinch

Sofia International Airport, Sofia, Bulgaria
269. Montagu's Harrier
270. Eurasian Kestrel
271. Rook
272. Common House-Martin

Latest Lifer: 734 : Montagu's Harrier (Sofia International Airport, Sofia, Bulgaria April 2018)

A visit to Usedom on the German/Polish border gave these birds:

122 White tailed Eagle
123 Common Tern
124 Long tailed Duck
125 Sedge Warbler
126 Common Reed Bunting
127 Garden Warbler
128 Lesser Whitethroat
129 Black Kite
130 Black necked Grebe
131 European Serin
132 Stock Dove
133 Yellow Wagtail
134 Common Scoter
135 White winged Tern
136 Greater Scaup
137 Garganey
138 Grasshopper Warbler L
139 Savi's Warbler L
140 Great Reed Warbler L
141 Ortolan Bunting L

142 Tree Pipit
143 Whinchat
144 Spotted Redshank
145 Whiskered Tern
146 Crested Lark

Last edited:
Four spring migrants this morning, so I’m now up to 242 for the year.

239. Ruby-throated Hummingbird
240. Wood Thrush
241. Bobolink
242. Hooded Warbler

Dave

130. White-crowned sparrow
131. Brown thrasher
132. Semipalmated plover
133. Dunlin
134. Least sandpiper
135. Long-billed dowitcher
136. Northern bobwhite
137. Caspian tern

It looks like have about 135 birds from one county. I have been to a few counties and even Missouri, but as I finally found the titmouse in my home county, did not need the Missouri one this year.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back