• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to tell if a lens is scratched/damaged? (1 Viewer)

ColonelBlimp

What time is bird?
I've just cleaned the 'big eye' of my Diascope 85, and looking through a jeweller's loupe at it, just outside the area I cleaned there is a strange little grey mark, about 1mm long, like a long smear.

It doesn't sparkle, it doesn't look 3D, it just seems to catch the light a little when the ambient light reflects off the lens. Could this be a scratch, or coating damage? What else could it be? I don't want to clean it to make sure, for fear of damaging it further.

Could be a water stain, in which case it should clean off with solvent.
Do you see anything when using the scope normally? If you don't I'd be less worried than if you were getting flare from the mark.

I cleaned my Diascope 85 after a very dusty excursion, and despite being as careful as possible, left a big scratch in the coating right across the center of the lens. So, if that big beautiful lens of yours is scratched, I feel for you. It hurts.

But if you don't plan to resell this at any point, and don't get any more scratches in it, I would put it out of your mind. I doubt you'll even notice the blemish when looking at wildlife.

Sounds more like smeared junk with the brightness against the AR coating.

Try washing with liquid dish detergent, water and a clean fingertip then rinse with deionized or distilled water and dab dry.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back