• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hyde Park birds (1 Viewer)

This worth reading in case you are ever near Hyde Park
http://kensingtongardensandhydeparkbirds.blogspot.com/

It is a really good blog and you ask questions about where to go etc.

Many thanks for sharing it with us. I would guess that lots of BF members and other birders go there on occasion. I walked through Hyde Park myself once a few years ago. I do remember seeing a few species of birds there, but not as many as the blogger! There must be lots of fish in the lake, too!

It was interesting to see the pigeon-eating lesser black-backed gull. I've seen yellow-legged gulls eating feral pigeons in Barcelona, but never other species.

On my walk which, eventually, took me through Hyde Park I saw a great black-backed gull by the Thames and the blogger has seen them in the park, too. Do many get recorded in London?

On my walk which, eventually, took me through Hyde Park I saw a great black-backed gull by the Thames and the blogger has seen them in the park, too. Do many get recorded in London?
Hi
Yes, quite a few. Several adults are regular on my local patch (London Wetland Centre), plus juveniles in the winter. According to the Breeding Birds of the London Area (2002) they didn't breed in London - but that was more than 13 years ago.
Martin

I've seen GBB Gulls on the barges near Cleopatra's needle in the Thames.

Hyde Park can be an exceptional place for birders who've got an hour or so to spare in that part of London. Initially you will feel the place is too crowded but this makes the birds there far more tame than usual and therefore it's ideal for photographers. I've stood and watched a Treecreeper move up and down a tree from just 10 feet away for example. Also the park has a good record for rarities. The long staying juvenile White winged Black Tern from a few years ago is probably my rarest UK bird.

I've seen GBB Gulls on the barges near Cleopatra's needle in the Thames.

Hyde Park can be an exceptional place for birders who've got an hour or so to spare in that part of London. Initially you will feel the place is too crowded but this makes the birds there far more tame than usual and therefore it's ideal for photographers. I've stood and watched a Treecreeper move up and down a tree from just 10 feet away for example. Also the park has a good record for rarities. The long staying juvenile White winged Black Tern from a few years ago is probably my rarest UK bird.

I agree you can see little owls quite easily if you do your research.

Male pied flycatcher in Hyde Park early afternoon today, in low trees between bridge and Henry Moore sculpture

Male pied flycatcher in Hyde Park early afternoon today, in low trees between bridge and Henry Moore sculpture

They are quite easy to see in Hyde Park, however still always a nice bird to see. Did you manage to see the green woodpeckers? Apparently first thing is the best time.

No green woodpeckers, then we weren't that early...but we did connect with one of the little owls, saw my first treecreeper of the year, great views of a blackcap, while my wife had great tit and robin feeding out of her hand - well impressed with the urban birding here!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back