• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eye cup for 10x40 Dianas (1 Viewer)

Dave Hawkins

Dear diary, what a day it's been...
Hi guys
do you know where I can obtain an eyecup for my ageing but still good 10x40 Dianas?
many thanks
Dave

Fantastic service!

Emailed Swarovski about these eye cups on Friday at 11.39am.....

arrived on Saturday 09.44am....and for free.

THATS WHAT I CALL SERVICE!!! Thank you Mary!|:D|

Dave

Last edited:
Hi Dave, That is good news. I have had excellent service in USA also.

Dave I have never heard of 10x40 Diana's , are they porro prism classic style binocular?

Regards,Steve

Dianas

Hi Steve

They look more or less the same as these
http://tinyurl.com/6ngqvs

They were fantastic bins in their day, though the earlier ones (like mine) gave everything a slight colour cast which you never noticed after a few hours use. Most optics even some very expensive models tend to colorise views in my experience.

Now that they are servicable again; I have just been out with them today .....not as good as my Leica 8x32, though still good.

Not sure where the name 'Dianas' came from....anybody out their explain?

Dave

Hi Dave, Thanks for the link, I thought this was what you have. My computer and internet connection is very slow right now and the link has not loaded yet,all I see is the name Habicht 10x40W and close window towards bottom. Is your 10x40 armor coated? I have an old catalog that has a list of different classic porro prism binoculars that Swarovski sold in U.S. There are two 6x30 models, 8 8x30 models [IF,armor,center focus etc.],4 7x42, and 4 10x40.

The 8x30 model lists one that is Ruby Red Leather Exterior/with leather case, could this be an option for the 10x40 W model at one time and maybe this is where Diana came from, meaning for the ladies.

Dave this is one binocular I always wanted, also the 10x40 SL porro model, BT I wanted all of them.:)

Well for what ever reason, internet started working very fast, your link downloaded in a few seconds and I see what you have.:)
Regards,Steve

Last edited:
Hi guys
do you know where I can obtain an eyecup for my ageing but still good 10x40 Dianas?
many thanks
Dave

(Princess) Dianas? I can see why they changed the name to Habicht! :)

What is the FOV on your 10x40s? I see the Habicht 10x40 W has a "W" (not my favorite letter) after it, I'm guessing that means "wide field"?

I'm a big porro fan (6'4") and bid on a pair (8x30s) on eBay but got sniped in the last 10 seconds by a DSL eBayer , who apparently had a much faster connection than Steve's. I have dial up.

The ER on the Habicht was very short (11 or 12mm?), but otherwise it had good reviews, and the FOV was fairly wide unlike most of the full sized models, which use Plossl (or similar) EP designs, which yield a narrow AFOV. The 7x42 model is the worst in that regard.

So that was my undigested piece of "beef" with the Habicht series, their narrow FOV. But the "W" may be an exception like the 8x30s.

I also read reviews that said the Habichts' images weren't as sharp as the Nikon 8x32 SE, which I have. So despite the prestigious name and the WPing, the Habicht seemed like a step down from a more modern design like the SE, and it cost more to boot.

I wish Swaro would update the Habicht series with modern EPs, coatings, and better ergonomics. They would probably sell like hotcakes. And please get rid of the leatherette armoring. Why would I want leatherette armoring on a WP bin??

Unfortunately, high quality porros are an endangered species. I wish that top bin manufacturers would transfer some of the innovations they designed for high end roofs to new porros, particularly the high-transmission, color saturated coatings (but not the "Eco" glass, they can keep that) to give porro fans more high quality models to choose from.

End rant.

Brock

Brock, My catalog lists the Swarovski 10x40W as 6.4° field of view.So this is more than the 10SE and less than the Big Fuji 10x50 FMT-SX
Regards,Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back