• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Habicht for birdwatching? (4 Viewers)

I had the same experience with the Habicht 10x40 that I had. However, I used it even in forest areas without having any major problems. Of course, my pointing finger got some pain over time of use.

I figured I sometimes use my thumb to focus. Or both my thumb and index finger. Still, the focuser is not ideal but not a big problem either. One reason why I went with 8 power instead of 10 -> less focusing needed because of the DOF.
The focuser of the NL is a dream. :)

Now I am waiting for the arrival of two Habichts in two different configurations.
Two?? o_O The 7x42 and .... ?

Two?? o_O The 7x42 and .... ?
10x40 in leatherette....

I have some CA issues with SFL 10x40 in certain conditions. Therefore, Habichts 10x40 will be used in those conditions. My original plan was to buy an NL 12x42 for that. But thought to go for the less expensive Habicht 10x40 since I have the SFL 10x40 as well. Another reason is I started to missing my previous Habicht 10x40 GA perhaps, after reading your thread 😂

Last edited:
10x40 in leatherette....

Another reason is I started to missing my previous Habicht 10x40 GA perhaps, after reading your thread 😂
Haha, I am sorry! It is an expensive hobby... that's for sure.
I have to say I like the 8x30 so much, I might go for a 7x42 or 10x40 as well, one day. Probably a GA version.
The idea of this very smal afov of the 7x42 really puts me off. But I have not looked through one, so maybe it is not as bad in reality as it is on paper...

So... is an Habicht suitable for bird watching?

I actually think the Habicht 8x30 is! But still hoping the focuser will get a bit less stiff in the future.
No problems with the eyecups anymore. Glare doesn't bother me still.
I will answer this question in a couple of months again...
The focuser doesn’t really loosen up very much with use, at least not by a noticeable amount. I do feel they are excellent birding binoculars once the focuser has been tweaked. I had mine done by Swarovski. I’m sure other porro repair companies could it as well. I believe it’s just changing out the o-rings. They really are amazingly small all around super bright and sharp binoculars.

Does that mean smaller diameter o-rings are substituted? It seems that would have at least some negative effect on the eyepiece sealing, perhaps no longer meeting the original spec for waterproofness under pressure.
Thankfully my Habichts are smooth (ish) focusers and suit me fine. A friend sent his 8x30's back to SW as his focus wheel was too stiff for him. They were away for 6 weeks, sorted and returned, and are now working to his satisfaction.

Prior to sending them off to SW he asked whether the water/dust sealing would be impaired after the service and the answer was a very emphatic no. The Habichts would still be, 'absolut wasserdicht'. Good enough for me.

I have just bought a Nikon EII 8x30's and its focus wheel is super-smooth...... and night and day compared to the Habicht. The little Nikon's are fantastic but the price for that sublime focus mechanism is that they will remain fair weather bino's.

Welsh rain and Nikon EII 8X30 are seldom mentioned in the same sentence.:)

Does that mean smaller diameter o-rings are substituted? It seems that would have at least some negative effect on the eyepiece sealing, perhaps no longer meeting the original spec for waterproofness under pressure.
I had asked that exact question, I was told there is room to change out the o-ring and still maintain spec of 13 ft / 4 m water depth, (inert gas filling) or very close to it. I suspect there is room in the tolerances to be able to lighten them up and still maintain water proofing. They probably use a tighter o-ring for overkill. Even if it was sightly weaker in that area, who cares, I don't. Ive been using binoculars for forty years , and half of that time never used water proof bins, also never dropped them in a river, lake or pool. But I have been caught in torrential rains, but still no major issues, I don't observe in torrential rain. :LOL:

Paul

I have just bought a Nikon EII 8x30's and its focus wheel is super-smooth...... and night and day compared to the Habicht. The little Nikon's are fantastic but the price for that sublime focus mechanism is that they will remain fair weather bino's.

Which begs the question which would you take birding on a fair weather day and why?

I like both for completely different reasons and uses, it's an interesting comparison.

Which begs the question which would you take birding on a fair weather day and why?

I like both for completely different reasons and uses, it's an interesting comparison.
The Nikon's on a fair weather day as the super-smooth focus is perfect for bird watching and the wider FOV and edge sharpness is lovely for landscape and general use. They are not as bright as the Habichts, which are perfect in darker woods, but I sense a greater 3D effect in the Nikons. Trees and branches for example seem to jump out and are isolated from the background.

Plus, whilst I was never particularly fussed about glare with the Habichts, the Nikons are less prone and, much to my suprise, show less CA.

As for comparison, it was sheer indulgence on my part if I am honest. I wanted to try the Nikons again after my disasterous Amazon experience last year and even though I have the Habichts (and some recently aquired CL Companion 8x30's) I just loved the form factor and the look of them. Plus my wife was away at a Witches Reunion so the courier could walk, rather then dash from bush to bush, up the drive and deliver them in good order.

I did give myself a severe talking to when I bought them and asked myself which I would have bought twixt them if they were both available in the shop. After a week or two dodging showers, and with both around my neck, it is the little Nikons that have suprised me the most and I would be more than happy to own just them and to have saved £250ish.

They really are lovely and owe nothing to the Austrian Meisters apart from the weather/dust resistance.

Last edited:
Cheers Pat, I did remember your brief dalliance with them last year - amazing how quickly the dab of white glue in them is forgotten! I think that must be used quite often as my old srga's from Japan had that too.

I have the same impression of the 2. The other thing with the Nikon is there is scarcely a 90° angle on the parts you touch to hold them - I find that makes them much more stable and comfortable than the habicht's.

Cheers Pat, I did remember your brief dalliance with them last year - amazing how quickly the dab of white glue in them is forgotten! I think that must be used quite often as my old srga's from Japan had that too.

I have the same impression of the 2. The other thing with the Nikon is there is scarcely a 90° angle on the parts you touch to hold them - I find that makes them much more stable and comfortable than the habicht's.
Hi William,

C'est vrai mon brave! The dab of white glue is still there, why oh why Nikon San?

It was the 'one stab at a first impression' syndrome that kicked in with the glue, and the fact that Amazon had thrown the box around with gay abandon, that had them winging their way back. But I did like them and I am glad that I gave them a second go.

As I said its a shame that they are not weather proof and I do prefer the rubberised feel of the Habicht 'leatherette' but all that pales into insignificance when you see the lovely view.

I can see why they have such an enthusiastic following amongst those that know!

This is a quick update to my recent purchase of Habichts. Today I received both 7x42 and 10x40 in leatherette. They look gorgeous, feel lighter and comfortable in my medium size hands compared to the 10x40 GA I had before. I felt 10x40 GA was too bulky for me.

The focuser of 7x42 is much smoother compared to the 10x40. For me the FOV of 7x42 is pretty usable. I don’t feel it is much restricted at all. I can use NL 8x42 back and forth with 7x42 without any issues. Perhaps it is due to the extensive use of pocket binoculars and now I got used to it.

Both are very bright in day time use. I had a quick comparison of NL 8x42 and Habicht 7x42 for the low light use but unable to seeing a huge difference in the low light capability of the 7x42. I noticed a brightness difference but it was not significant to make bird identification in low light conditions compared to that of NL 8x42. However, I have to give it some time to get into a conclusion while having more outdoor observations in low light.

Definitely the 7x42 is a keeper due to its elegant look if not for the optical performance. The other thing to notice is the easy eye comfort of 7x42 it might be a result of the small FOV. Compared to the NL 8x42 which is giving me blackouts, 7x42 is much easy to use.

I will return the 10x40 because I am going to get back my previous 10x40 GA.

Attachments

• IMG_2837.jpeg
    IMG_2837.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 18
I felt 10x40 GA was too bulky for me.

I will return the 10x40 because I am going to get back my previous 10x40 GA.
Why?? :)
Why do you want the 10x40 GA back? (And if you are selling it this time, I might be interested :).

I like my 8x30 a lot. Very sharp and close by I see some of this 3D view, but not much. Veiling glare doesn't still bother me much. I see it, but is not really bothering me.
The 2mm extra eyecup lenght makes it more comfortable, but I can imagine that the green rubber eyecups are even more comfortable.

The focuser of 7x42 is much smoother compared to the 10x40.

Interesting. Probably sample variance. Not a good thing when the focuser of a 10 power is very stiff, but Swarovski can fix it. Anyways, you will only keep the 7x42 :).

Definitely the 7x42 is a keeper due to its elegant look if not for the optical performance. The other thing to notice is the easy eye comfort of 7x42 it might be a result of the small FOV.
So the small AFOV doesn't really bother you? You even kind of like that, don't you?

I had a quick comparison of NL 8x42 and Habicht 7x42 for the low light use but unable to seeing a huge difference in the low light capability of the 7x42. I noticed a brightness difference but it was not significant to make bird identification in low light conditions compared to that of NL 8x42. However, I have to give it some time to get into a conclusion while having more outdoor observations in low light.
I am still interested. I have the SLC 8x42 (probably the same brightness in Low light as the NL 8x42 because both have 91% transmission) and I am only interested in buying the Habicht 7x42 when it is considerable better in low light.
Otherwise I might opt for the 10x40.

So the small AFOV doesn't really bother you? You even kind of like that, don't you?
That’s correct. If I want a larger FOV NL 8x would do it. However, I really like the characteristics of small FOV of Habicht 7x42. Finally I see 3D in binoculars with it. It needs less focusing while 3D effect make finding birds easier. Although I miss a bit of mag.

I am still interested. I have the SLC 8x42 (probably the same brightness in Low light as the NL 8x42 because both have 91% transmission) and I am only interested in buying the Habicht 7x42 when it is considerable better in low light.
I am not sure how your eyes see it. But for me it is not a very big difference. However I should spend more time in the field with it to find out more about low light performance.

I am getting my previously sold 10x40 GA back. Anyway I think the 7x42 would impress you more than the 10x40 does.

Interesting. Probably sample variance. Not a good thing when the focuser of a 10 power is very stiff, but Swarovski can fix it. Anyways, you will only keep the 7x42 :).

This all comes down to what’s your definition of considerable. The NL is still one of the best binos for low light observing available. My purchase of the 742 Habicht wasn’t necessarily for low light observing., I just wanted a Swaro porro. Under most conditions, even late afternoon or very cloudy overcast days, there’s not much difference in brightness compared to the NL 8x.

My first comparison of the two was at night , I took the Habicht our on the street using street and home lights to look around at house numbers, license plates and bushy areas of some homes. Just for comparison, I took out the NL to see the difference in optics, not thinking about brightness, that’s when I was shocked how much more detail I could see in the Habicht’s. It has remained as my low low light (even nighttime) bino. I haven’t tried anything that has come close under those conditions.

It seems every time somebody talks about the Swarovski Habicht’s my ears start bleeding hearing about the focuser. Buy the one you want, make sure you like the Optics, then send it to Swarovski and have them tweak the focuser. The focuser on my 742 is better than my Nikon SE’s and E2’s. Done!

Users who are viewing this thread

• JJ85
Back