• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ordered Leica Noctivid 8x42 - a mistake..? (1 Viewer)

Kingfisher, I can't see any strange piece of metal behind the focuser. Could you explain where it is in the photo below?

I don't think its a good idea to be prising pieces of components off a pair of binos.

Lee

Attachments

• leica-noctivid-8x42-binoculars-40384-leica-011.jpg
    leica-noctivid-8x42-binoculars-40384-leica-011.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 61
Kingfisher, I can't see any strange piece of metal behind the focuser. Could you explain where it is in the photo below?

I don't think its a good idea to be prising pieces of components off a pair of binos.

Lee

Se my attached pic below! That white thing in the picture is a thin metal wire..sticking out from the back of the focus wheel. I am thinking if it has something to do with the diopter?

Attachments

• IMG_20180430_171746.jpg
    IMG_20180430_171746.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 239
Flat spots along the exit pupil edge come from straight prism edges intruding into the clear aperture. It can happen if the prisms are undersized or if the eye's pupil is not centered well with the exit pupil or, in a binocular that uses eccentric eyepieces for collimation, if too much lateral eccentricity has been required to achieve good collimation between the left and right sides. That can result in poor internal collimation of one or both telescopes. A high magnification star test would easily reveal the resulting coma if that's the case.

If you look at the photo in Tobias' review that shows the Noctavid exit pupils stacked below an Ultravid you can see intruding prism edges in the left side at about 1:00-2:00 and about 10:00-1100. In that case the edges show because the camera lens is very far out of line with the exit pupil.

Henry

Flat spots along the exit pupil edge come from straight prism edges intruding into the clear aperture. It can happen if the prisms are undersized or if the eye's pupil is not centered well with the exit pupil or, in a binocular that uses eccentric eyepieces for collimation, if too much lateral eccentricity has been required to achieve good collimation between the left and right sides. That can result in poor internal collimation of one or both telescopes. A high magnification star test would easily reveal the resulting coma if that's the case.

If you look at the photo in Tobias' review that shows the Noctavid exit pupils stacked below an Ultravid you can see intruding prism edges in the left side at about 1:00-2:00 and about 10:00-1100. In that case the edges show because the camera lens is very far out of line with the exit pupil.

Henry

The exit pupils on my sample have about the same shape as them in Tobias image (the left exit pupil in that image). Its very difficult to see round exit pupils on my sample, but maybe they are perfectly round after all. On my EDG it is very easy to see that the exit pupils are perfect!

I recently sent mine back as well. I had trouble with eye relief and proper placement. Too much fiddling with finding the right position to place them to my eyes. I do not wear glasses when using binoculars.

That’s bizarre to me about eye placement because I think the Noctivid is one of the easiest binoculars I have encountered to look through. Everyone is different that’s why we have a variety.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back