• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Increase in Great Spotted Woodpeckers? (1 Viewer)

sooseee

Today a male G.S.W. visited my birdtable. First I've ever seen in the garden and have lived here in North Devon for many years.Was chatting to 'birdy' friends who have, in the past few days had a pair of G.S.W s and one youngvisit their bird table also for the first time. They told of other friends who have had a male G.S.W. visit for the first time too..Three bird tables all in different areas of North Devon-has any one else had similar??? Would love to hear .Thanks Sue.

Joanne, he did not stop to feed- would love it if he did. I have peanuts, mixed seeds and fat balls on mine- my friend was able to watch the parents feeding bits from the fat ball to the baby.

Don't know about an increase, although for me they have been much more visible this year than previously. Every piece of suitable habitat I visit in my neck of the woods seems to have fledglings. (These are very noisy and v. easily detected at this time of year - incessant calling for food whether or not the adults are at the nest hole. Certainly worth listening for when out walking!)

The species has either increased or been seen far more abundantly than recent years around here aswell - I personally like seeing them, though I do worry about their tendencies in raiding other birds nests for an easy meal.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back