• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Differences Monarch 5/7 and HG models. (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello,
There is too much differences between the Monarch 5 8x42, Monarch 7 8x42 and the 8x42 HG models ? in optical quality and mechanical ?
The price diference : Monarch 5/7 and the Nikon HG is Enormous !!
Thank you in advance.
Regards,
Wachi

Wachi,

The difference in price is largely caused by where they were manufactured and the materials used in making them. The HGs are made in Japan and have expensive Magnesium metal frames and expensive flat field eye pieces. The Monarch 5s and 7s are made in China and use a lot of plastic in their makeup and they have less expensive eyepieces.

The HG models used to be Nikon's top of the line binoculars and always cost more than $1000.00 in US funds. Nikon replaced them with the EDG Binoculars in 2009. The new EDG's cost about $2,000.00 each. The HG line is still being made but it is now called "Premier." It has not been upgraded. These Premiers have magnesium frames and have special eyepieces which give the binoculars a "flat field" of view. The 8x42 is not currently listed on the Nikon USA website.

The Monarch 3, 5, and 7 lines of binoculars are relatively new. The link below shows all of them.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/binoculars/monarch/index.page

As you can see the Monarch 3 8x42 costs $229.99. It has silver coated prisms and a narrow 330'@1000yard FOV.

The Monarch 5 8x42 costs $299.99. It has di-electric prisms, ED glass and a narrow 330'@1000yard FOV.

The Monarch 7 8x42 costs $479.99. It has Premium ED glass. It has Special di-electric coated phase correction Prisms and a very wide FOV of 420'@1000yards.

Bob

Last edited:
Bob, thank you very much for your clear and informative response...!!! I am searching now, a good (medium class) 8x42 model.
Best regards,
Wachi.

Bob, thank you very much for your clear and informative response...!!! I am searching now, a good (medium class) 8x42 model.
Best regards,
Wachi.

You are welcome, Wachi.

Allbinos has reviewed the Monarch 7 8x42, which is Nikon's "medium" priced 8x42. Overall it is a pretty good review with some questions raised about the wear of their Rubber Covered exterior.

http://www.allbinos.com/261-binoculars_review-Nikon_Monarch_7_8x42.html

There was a very recent short thread about this "wear" in the Nikon Forum last week you can look up. I haven't seen any thing else about the "wear" problem.

I have a small 8x30 Monarch 7 binocular. It has the same ED glass and di-electric prisms and wide FOV that the 8x42 has and I like it very much. It is sharp, bright and easy to use. The price for it is in the same range as the 8x42.

Bob

I have also a Monarch 7 8x30 which I bought last year. It's my EDC-bino. I carry it in my office backpack every day. Not that I use it every day but it is present when needed.

Thanks again for your response.!!
I'm looking information and reviews on "best binoculars reviews" website, in your opinion is a criterion to consider?
I'm looking for a "mid price" binoculars, 8x42 model.
Thank you very much in advance.
wachi

They are all good websites which will give some information about the binoculars you are interested in to help you chose one.

The most important thing, if it is at all possible, is for you to personally try out the binoculars to see if you are comfortable using them and then get the one you like best.

One middle priced binocular I should have mentioned is Zeiss's 8x42 Terra ED. Look at one of these if you get a chance. It is made in China and it is discussed many places in the Zeiss forum here at length.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back