• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So how is your 2007 list going? (1 Viewer)

Not year listing nationally this year. Instead doing a Merseyside County year list. 59 yesterday in Sefton was a decent start, though I missed most of my 'target' birds. Another 3 added locally today to take it to 62. Not fantastic, but I'm not going all out just quite yet. Will start a thread when the 2007 Lists forum thing appears. Also stuff on a new blog - click below and follow the link...

Stephen

!!HAPPY NEW YEAR FOLKS!!

I'll stick what i see on here too. Although it's been a pretty poor start as you will see. :/

01/01/07
1. Robin - Pontnewydd, Gwent
2. Blackbird - Mynnedd Maen, Gwent
3. Crow
4. Great Tit
5. Wood Pigeon
6. Greenfinch
7. Meadow Pipit
8. Mistle Thrush
9. Stonechat
10. Snipe
11. Magpie
12. Kestrel - M50,Herefords
13. Rook
14. Jackdaw
02/01/07
15. Barn Owl - Cottenham, Cambs
16. Starling - Milton,Cambs
17. Black-headed Gull
03/01/07
18. Song Thrush - Milton Tesco, Cambs
19. Blue Tit - Milton, Cambs
20. Dunnock
21. Long-tailed Tit
22. Collared Dove

OK, not great i know...but it is dark alot :)
Hopefully get going this weekend, on a trip to the coast.

dave...

Last edited:
After a week in Portugal UK list started yesterday at Bristol Airport and on the way home

1 Starling
2 House Sparrow
3 Rook
4 Blackbird
5 Magpie
6 Carrion Crow
7 Herring Gull
8 Buzzard
9 Black Headed Gull
10 Wood Pigeon

And locally this morning

11 Coot
12 Moorhen
13 Gadwall
14 Mallard
15 Collared Dove
16 Little Grebe
17 Pochard
18 Tufted Duck
19 Pied Wagtail
20 Mute Swan
21 Robin
22 Goldfinch
23 Greenfinch
24 Chaffinch
25 Bullfinch
26 Great Tit
27 Blue Tit
28 Long Tailed Tit
29 Jackdaw
30 Meadow Pipit
31 Lesser Black Backed Gull
32 Redwing
33 Dunnock
34 Jack Snipe

Last edited:
Seeing as we plan to relocate to Norfolk at some stage this year, my year listing goal for 2007 is to get 200 species in both Norfolk and Sussex.

Visiting relatives in Suffolk over the New Year gave me a chance to kick start the year with a jaunt around North Norfolk. No dawn start, and too much time wasted trying to find the best place from which to view the pinkfoot flock near Walsingham, prevented a big total from being achieved and resulted in some bizarre gaps (realised at 4pm that we'd not seen a Robin!), recording 57 non-passerines but only 15 passerines for a grand total of 72. Highlights have to be the 2 UK lifers (Black[-eared] Kite and Snow Goose), honourable mention to Tundra Bean Goose and the obliging Bearded Tits at Titchwell.

As for Sussex so far it's... 1. Redwing (heard)
(I've not been in the county during daylight hours yet).

Totals as at 12pm on 03.01.2007:-
Norfolk: 72 + 5 h
Sussex: 0 + 1 h

I know exactly what you mean about buzarre gaps - it is weird how you end up with some very odd birds before some common ones. Can anyone beat this?

For 2007 I have four lifers: Black Redstart, Black-Throated Diver, Grey Phalarope, and Cirl Bunting, as well as Peregrine, Great Northern Diver, Mediterranean Gull, Redpoll and Avocet. However I still have not seen or heard House Sparrow, Rook and Mistle Thrush among others. Haven't done a proper count-up yet but must be well into the eighties. My aim now is to break 100 without House Sparrow, which may take some detouring as I am back in Leeds and there is a colony only 200 yards from my flat.

50 Coot
51 Cormorant
52 Pochard
53 Marsh Tit
54 Tufted Duck
Amazingly, my sister, when looking at a Mallard, said "is that a Fulmar?" OMG!

Last edited:
bitterntwisted said:
I know exactly what you mean about buzarre gaps - it is weird how you end up with some very odd birds before some common ones. Can anyone beat this?

For 2007 I have four lifers: Black Redstart, Black-Throated Diver, Grey Phalarope, and Cirl Bunting, as well as Peregrine, Great Northern Diver, Mediterranean Gull, Redpoll and Avocet. However I still have not seen or heard House Sparrow, Rook and Mistle Thrush among others. Haven't done a proper count-up yet but must be well into the eighties. My aim now is to break 100 without House Sparrow, which may take some detouring as I am back in Leeds and there is a colony only 200 yards from my flat.
Methinks you've had a day or two in Devon. :news:

The Firecrest said:
Methinks you've had a day or two in Devon. :news:

Just three or four hours, Jyothi, en route back from Dorset (where I found my own Black Redstart and Black-Throated Diver) Unfortunately the Falcated Duck was in hiding, but the Phalarope was a more than pleasant consolation. I'm afraid I will have to consider the duck plastic, although it would of course have been wild if I'd found it. ;)

Graham

bitterntwisted said:
Just three or four hours, Jyothi, en route back from Dorset (where I found my own Black Redstart and Black-Throated Diver) Unfortunately the Falcated Duck was in hiding, but the Phalarope was a more than pleasant consolation. I'm afraid I will have to consider the duck plastic, although it would of course have been wild if I'd found it. ;)

Graham
Interesting route, Dorset to Leeds, via Devon! The Falcated is as wild as a bird can get, while the Phalarope is surely an escape! ;)

83 species before returning to school today was quite an achievement for me - just a shame about the wind lately. Highlights were Tundra Bean Goose, Smew, Chiffchaff and both Whooper and Bewick's Swan.

Most embarrassing omission has to be Chaffinch - not seen or heard yet - what is happenning!? Hopefully try for the Ring Necked Duck at Bough Beech on Saturday and the Fudge Duck at New Hythe on Sunday - if they are still about!

1. black-capped chickadee
  2. blue jay
  3. mourning dove
  4. american goldfinch
  5. house finch
  6. northern cardinal
  7. ruffed grouse
  8. white-breasted nuthatch
  9. dark-eyed junco
  10. downy woodpecker
  11. hairy woodpecker
  12. american crow
  13. starling
  14. rock dove
  15. mallard
  16. common goldeneye
  17. canada goose
  18. house sparrow
  19. ring-billed gull
  20. herring gull
  21. red-throated loon
  22. pine siskin
  23. great-horned owl
  24. american tree sparrow
  25. pileated woodpecker
  26. red-tailed hawk
  27. snow bunting
  28. brown creeper
  29. red-breasted nuthatch
  30. common raven
  31. barred owl
  32. red crossbill
  33. white-winged crossbill
Scott

A half-day locally produced four more:

91 Cetti's Warbler
92 Willow Tit
93 Golden Plover
94 Mandarin

That's more than 50% of all that I saw in the county last year in the first two and a half days!

Steve

Not a great start, but not really trying apart from a brief 90 minutes at CQ reserve today. Must remember to get a scope next xmas!

1.Woodpigeon - in mates garden
2.Long Tailed Tit - "
3.Kestrel - on way home
4.House Sparrow - all garden
5.Chaffinch
6.Pied Wagtail
7.Greenfinch
8.Carrion Crow
9.Blackbird
10.Song Thrush
11.Pheasant
12.Blue Tit
13.Magpie
14.Curlew - All at CQ Reserve
15.Teal
16.Mallard
17.Pochard
18.Redshank
19.Oystercatcher
20.Cormorant
21.Great Black backed gull
22.Black headed gull
23.Great Crested Grebe
24.Grey Heron
25.Little Egret
26.Coot
27.Moorhen
28.Wigeon
29.Common Buzzard
30.Black Tailed Godwit
31.Great Tit (!)
32.Shelduck
33.Collared Dove
34.Lapwing
35.Dunnock - garden

Might've forgotten a couple

So just Robin (!), Wren, those Bullfinch that've been around CQ for ages, and about a million other birds I see every week to track down before the weekend when I get back to Sheffield and inevitebly (sp?) add Red Grouse, Skylark, Meadow Pipit etc to the list when fell running!

PaulK said:
83 species before returning to school today was quite an achievement for me - just a shame about the wind lately. Highlights were Tundra Bean Goose, Smew, Chiffchaff and both Whooper and Bewick's Swan.

Most embarrassing omission has to be Chaffinch - not seen or heard yet - what is happenning!? Hopefully try for the Ring Necked Duck at Bough Beech on Saturday and the Fudge Duck at New Hythe on Sunday - if they are still about!
I got the Ring Necked today, was showing very well from the path round the back of the oasts, however got rather covered in mud getting to it. I think i may have a go at the Fudge duck if this wind slows up a bit, as i have to rely on cycling there.

Spent the day at Chasewater today and picked up a fair few more, including some trickier species:

64: Great Northern Diver
65: Great-crested Grebe
66: Snow Bunting
67: Goldeneye
68: Lapwing
69: Tufted Duck
70: Smew
71: Little Grebe
72: Wigeon
73: Gadwall
74: Pochard
75: Goosander
76: Willow Tit
77: Ruddy Duck
78: Cormorant
79: Caspian Gull
80: Iceland Gull

Glad to get some of those out of the way now, saves me searching later in the year!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back