• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

around Boston area? (1 Viewer)

shimoyjk

hello,

I live around Downtown, Back bay area.

I go to college around here and trying to do birding this winter.

can anyone recommend some park or beach?

don't have a car but can rent and spent few hours for it!

also, how are

"Mount aubunt cemetery" and " Squantum Point Park" in the winter?

THANKS!!!B :)

Although it's an hour or so north of Boston, the Newburyport area has some great winter birding. Combination of aquatic species (loons, ducks, etc) and passerines (longspurs, possible snow bunting, etc.) on the beach and inland on Plum Island. A check of the map says this is the Parker Riven NWR. It's been years since I've been there but it was (is?) great birding.

Mount Auburn is good for sparrows/woodpeckers and sometimes owls and hawks in winter. Also easy to get to by public transport is Mass Audubon's Boston Nature Center.

Here's a link with a number of good birding spots in MA, including in and around Boston.

Winter can be a little challenging birding wise, but I always enjoy being on of only a few people who's out birding at this time of year.

If you have a car drive north to Glouscter, Rockport, Cape Ann and look for ducks, loons, grebes, and alcids in the ocean. There are snowy owls at Plum Island Wildlife refuge in Newburyport and the Plymouth / Bourne area near Cape Cod are also good this time of year.

If you live in Boston you might enjoy my website: http://thedailybirdnewengland.blogspot.com/ for timely updates about what and where to watch birds in New England.

Enjoy,

Alex

I've been birding in New England a few times and I remember an area called Quincy not far from Boston airport that I visited on my way there.Really good for close views of waders and very few people there.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back