• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2016 (1 Viewer)

Mike/Craig
Do you know if the colour-ringed Kentish Plover in Craig's report is one of the locally ringed birds? I seem to recall some (or Little Ringed) some years ago.
Martin

Just back from a brief session feeding the local mozzies! Despite repellant!!
Some Starlings pre-roosting just down from the Pont se Sa Roca (the main bridge over the canal). Then a flock of maybe 2000 flying over into the sunset, plus a couple more groups of several hundred each n- so numbers are starting to build up. I heard the big flock long before I could see them.
Great, close views of Great White Egret (Heron) at Sa Roca but not much else apart from some more Snipe -. and more mozzies!
They're something I won't miss when I leave on Tuesday.
Martin

I will ask around about the rings and report the numbers given, many thanks. I will let you know if I get any information. Mike

thanks mike. keep up the great work on here. it makes birding in Majorca much more enjoyable when you get to see everyone's reports and pictures.
Keeps the excitement going.

A Lesser Spotted Eagle flew past Cap de Ses Salines at 1.30pm today giving the assembled crowd something to shout about, there is only usually one sighting per annum. Mike

As Mike says, today has been one of these greats days in Cap Salines, one Lesser Spotted Eagle with a group of 11 Booted Eagles has offered us one of the best moments of the autumn migration!

Attachments

• 5Pomerana2.jpg
    5Pomerana2.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 4PomeranaCalcada3.jpg
    4PomeranaCalcada3.jpg
    891.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 2PomeranaCalcada.jpg
    2PomeranaCalcada.jpg
    628.3 KB · Views: 79
Our last day here tomorrow - been a very enjoyable trip. Thanks for all the help and info - keep the good work up.
I attach a photo of the Black-necked Grebe at Albufera from hide 2 today. How common is this species on the island please? Is it a breeder?
Kevin

Attachments

• Grebe.jpg
    Grebe.jpg
    445.4 KB · Views: 37
Hi Kevin. Glad you are having a good time.
Black-necked Grebe do not breed but are always a great bird to see, especially in breeding plumage which sometimes they are.
They can be seen in ones and twos around the reserves, mainly in the north. There are sometimes large concentrations especially at Bassa de Can Guidet where groups of forty or fifty are not uncommon in winter. Also seen at Albufera, Maristany and the main reserve. Lovely birds and a nice photo. Mike

I can find no records of breeding Black-necked Grebes, it seems they have not been recorded in May, June or July, but there have been birds seen in every other month.
I know that Great-crested Grebes are now breeding.
I will double check but this seems to be the case as far as I can make out.
Enjoy your last day Martin, sorry I have not made it up north recently, we have had an endless stream of guests for the past few weeks. I will do my best with moths this winter and report here. Mike

OK Mike. I'll look back through my notes but you're probably right.
After the beach (2 Kestrel and a few Audouinś gulls) I went for a last visit to the Depuradora. Wood, Green and Common Sand., 4 Ruff, 8 Whinchat (probably more) and finally, courtesy of Graham, a cracking white-spotted Bluethroat - in good light! It was under a buch at the junction of the first two lagoons nearest the platform. Just a stunning bird.
Will add the final moth count when I've entered the tally for the last two nights (it seems strange not putting the trap out!).
Martin

Well done with the Bluethroat Martin, as you say, a stunning bird to see and just where they often show.
I, and I'm sure others, will be very interested to read about your moth count, thanks. Safe trip home. Mike

I have to say that all the credit goes to Graham. I hope that I would have spotted it - but I'm not sure.
I've just finished adding the species from the last two nights. The final tally was 178 species of moths in the three weeks - to be added to this are a few species that will need to be checked once I'm back home so I expect it will eventually be around the 190 mark. I won't bore you all with a full list but when I get back home I will post a few names and pictures.
To those who are still here, or are even luckier and are resident, continue to have a good trip/year and thanks for all the postings while I've been here. Even though I missed most of them, it's good to know what's about.
Best wishes
(now for the packing!)
Martin

Depuradora

Hello
Thanks Martin – nice to meet you again last evening. Yes – male bluethroat [cyanecula] at the Depuradora yesterday. I’m attaching a rubbish very distant image of one of another two present there on Saturday evening. Also there yesterday a Temminck’s stint, 4 ruff, a kingfisher and a late/passage reed warbler. An eclipse drake northern pintail also there earlier in the week – not seen many of this species on Mallorca. Noted a black headed gull there with a white plastic ring on its right leg and an aluminium on its left – couldn’t read numbers though.
Graham

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 82
A Richard's Pipit has been seen today at Can Curassa, a very rare bird these days in Mallorca. I believe they used to be more regular but I don't remember a single sighting in the last few years. Mike

Thanks Graham. For anyone wanting to see Bluethroat in Mallorca, I believe the depuradora would be the most reliable site. I have seen up to nine birds there in a single day. They are quite hard to see when they pop out onto the causeway, flit about for a while before disappearing shortly afterwards.
Sometimes they are much closer to the platform which is nice and their lovely plumage can be more fully appreciated. Mike

I can find no records of breeding Black-necked Grebes, it seems they have not been recorded in May, June or July, but there have been birds seen in every other month.
I know that Great-crested Grebes are now breeding.
I will double check but this seems to be the case as far as I can make out.
Enjoy your last day Martin, sorry I have not made it up north recently, we have had an endless stream of guests for the past few weeks. I will do my best with moths this winter and report here. Mike

I certainly saw Black-necked Grebe at Depuradora in May 2010. No young birds but a very nice breeding plumage adult.

Nick

Thanks Nick, I am still checking through old records but no evidence of breeding yet. I also saw a late spring bird at the depuradora and what a brilliant bird to see in breeding plumage. Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back