• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron 8 x 42 discovery wp pc ??? (1 Viewer)

My wife has owned a pair of Opticron Discovery 8 x 42, with 7.2 field, very wide, bright & clear. She bought them new in Nov 09. No problem with them so far, despite using them frequently. We paid £149 00 & they came with a 5 year guarantee.Supurb bins. Hope yours prove as good, should you decide on them.

I have the 8x32 model and its an excellent bin. Nice and light with a smooth feel. Bright clear image. I got them as an ex demo pair and I would not have been able to tell the difference between them and new. The 8x32 has a plastic body whereas the 8x42 has a magnesium body.

You cant go wrong with an opticron.(copyrighted, send a cheque if you want to use it opticron;))

Cheers,

Ger.

Deano,

Like Squidge I like the 8x32 a lot. It's a fun little bin. It's been a while since I tried either the Discovery 8x42 or the Helios AM6+, but I remember being quite impressed with how sharp the Helios was at the original price point. CA wasn't it's strongest point if I remember rightly though.

David

I bought my partner the original Discovery 8x42 WP PC, which had an aluminium body and a narrower FOV, several years ago. They were excellent and she still has them as a back up to her RSPB HDs. They are bright, sharp, reasonably light and extremely compact for an 8x42. The latest model with the magnesium body, wider FOV and closer focusing should be even better. For the money, I think they are very difficult to beat. There is also Opticron's legendary after-sales care as the icing on the cake.

I see that they are £150 at Sherwoods complete with a free cleaning kit and RSPB bird book.

Ron

Last edited:
thanks everyone for all your feedback i have seen them at Uttings outdoors for £129. . . Brilliant price for these kind of specs . . . Deano

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back