• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden (Yard) List 2012 (1 Viewer)

I couldn't see the sea today - through sand blow and salt caked windows...(and the observatory was vibrating alarmingly) so Little Gull and Gannet will have to wait a bit!

And there was me thinking you'd be getting a bumper crop!

I had to wait two days to get Long-taile tit, then 15 turned up to raid the feeder together! Attracted a Sparrowhawk to battle the winds.

3 Little Egret and 2 Lesser Redpoll at 8am this morning puts me on 35...your in my sights H!....although probably not for long :)

Collectively 1st thru 3rd
Northern cardinal
Tufted titmouse
Blackcap chickadee
Goldfinch
Downy woodpecker
mourning dove
Blue jay
Red Bellied woodpecker
Dark eyed junco
White throated sparrow
House sparrow
Eurasian tree sparrow
Starling
Kestrel...2nd in 15 years here.prob juv. only seen for a second 01/03/2012
um...pigeons?

Two more today ...

22) Greenfinch 2
23) Redwing 1

Both in flight from the bedroom window. None actually in the garden yet, although a Magpie has been seen on the garage roof ;)

Reckon 50 or so would be an interesting target to go for.

Brent Goose (on Hilbre) and Velvet Scoter (male in flight at sea) added today. R B Merg yesterday

38 from, 17 in and over 13 in.

Just to put my yearly garden list into perspective...Song Thrush this morning at 7.45am(first one for c6weeks!) puts me on 36....Half way through last years list of 73, already on the 6th day, with another 359 days to go! :)

Like you, Ken, Song thrushes have ben hard to see for weeks here, only sign in six weeks a couple of singing birds in the last few days.

This morning (still & cold & bright) :

Peregrine (feeding on the steeple then off east)
Pink-footed goose (c. 20 west-east)

= 42.

Flock of Fieldfare over..37...now more than half last years total! (that's 20 in and 17 out). Unsure how this compares with last years..from a date value perspective (6 days into the year). Remiss of me..should have dated all the entries. However I suspect that both years lists will differ considerably away from the hard core of ''regulars'', (amazing to think that e.g. Little Egret is now a regular with House Sparrow and Bullfinch no longer being so). I was extremely lucky to get c10 species last year ie Pied Wagtail and Rook for e.g. (Rook being only my second record and Pied Wagtail my third!) I look forward to the next 359 days with trepidation. ;)

5 minutes out of the window produced two more -

24) Dunnock
25) Common Buzzard

The Dunnock in the top of one of the pollarded trees, the Buzzard in flight briefly.

Wall to wall blue sky this morning..and whilst I remember...heard my first Blackbird for the year singing! plus showing the proprietary garden shot...with a bird I first saw 33 years ago on the edge of a sun parched Greek delta ''umbrella-ing'' it's wings in order to espy the fish in it's shadow. A lifer for me at the time, and still pretty rare in the UK (If memory serves). Now incongruously they have become fairly frequent (Winter mainly) fishing the stream outback. I'm hoping ''Egretta foresta'' might become another split. ;)

Attachments

• Forest shot.jpg
    Forest shot.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 139
  • Egretta foresta 3..jpg
    Egretta foresta 3..jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 134
  • Egretta foresta.jpg
    Egretta foresta.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 137
  • Egretta foresta 2..jpg
    Egretta foresta 2..jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 124
My 75x eyepiece for the big Nikon came into its own this morning, with a duck flock out at sea...

Tufted Duck, Scaup, Goldeneye & Long-tailed Tit added this morning.

42 from, 23 over and 15 in

A Goldcrest becomes No.38...and a Collared Dove in...moves the goalposts from 22 in and 16 out.

My 75x eyepiece for the big Nikon came into its own this morning, with a duck flock out at sea...

Tufted Duck, Scaup, Goldeneye & Long-tailed Tit added this morning.

That must have been a sight! I guess they had to hold their tails up in the air to stop them getting wet?

;)

Two more this afternoon from the garden ...

26) Great Tit (heard only)
27) Great Spotted Woodpecker (heard only)

Exciting stuff!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back