• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8X42 or 10x42 Binoculars (1 Viewer)

I prefer 7x or 8x. I think 10x is too hard to hold steady, and you get less field of view with a 10x. I keep higher magnifications on my scope, and lower on my binocular.

The choice depends really on what is going to be your main thrust with birding. If you intend to stick to mainly woodland habitat then go for the 8x, bigger FOV and brighter image, however if you are mainly watching across bodies of water then the extra mag of the 10x can be handy.
I've been using 10x42 roof prisms for about 15 years now with reasonable success but I do notice that in woodland I don't pick up birds as easily as those using the 8x bins. I'm now thinking of getting a second pair at 8x mag and only taking out the 10x if going to coast or reservoir.

It's a personal decision. Best to try and see what you prefer.

Personally, I agree with Kristoffer and avoid 10x for the reasons he gives--lower mags are also brighter, and the bins are lighter with better eye relief. In practice, I think it is quite rare that the slightly higher mag of a 10x would help you ID anything better. In any event, I almost always carry my scope with me, so if I need higher mag that is what I use--and of course the dramatically higher mag of a scope can frequently make a difference in your ability to ID.

Best,
Jim

agree with others posts, i started with 10x because of living on the coast and had a 8x pair for days when i was in woods but tended to use the 8x all the time better FOV and brighter image along with being able to track and pick out birds easier with the 8x means thats what i use all the time now. i cant say ive ever wished i had that extra 2x mag much prefer my 8x. do try lots out before you buy though

DS

The popular opinion has been stated on this thread, but I have to say I prefer my hefty 10 x 45 Viking binoculars to any 8 x 42 I tried (I also have a pair of Minox 8 x 42's). Ok I do not buy at the top end where undoubtedly the real quality lies, but still I have found using 8 x 42 just does not afford me enough view or detail, especially for anything distant including raptors passing. But 8 x 42 are good for skitting flitting warblers that only momentarily show in a nearby bush.

So at the end of the day, we are all different - don't do something just because the top or best kitted out birders do it, make your own choice and try things out properly.

Last edited:
Maybe a stabilized glass such as the Canon IS series would be a solution.
Apart from the brilliant but pricey 10x42L, there are much more affordable and still very acceptable 10x and 12x Canon binoculars.
The stabilization feature really enhances the optical performance of binoculars quite dramatically. Try it yourself and see.

I started out with a pair of Ex-army 20x52's some 40 years ago! they weighed in at 1.5kilos and gave you two of everything! A day in the field with those...turned one....into a quadruped! As my income increased over the years, I moved into 'Blue-Chip' 10x42's which was a stellar improvement. However nine years ago I bought a mini pair of
8x20 Leicas...effectively sacrificing power, for something that weighs marginally more than a neck tie! You can 'bird' all day and go to bed without realising they're still there! Under average conditions (a bright day), they will compare most favourably with the 'bigger litres'...give 'em a whirl.

It's always going to be personal preference, but I do find 8x42s are best for most situations - and as some have already said make sure you try as many pairs out as you can in the shop, most stores are more than happy for you to briefly test them outside (from the door at least) and use them for a moment and if they don't allow you to try them, I'd be looking for another store.

Whilst I know this thread was started quite a few years ago, I feel that the question is still relevant and I found it whilst searching on Google for 10x42 birding Bins, so I thought I would add by 2 cents worth in the hope that this my be of use to others who come across this page in a similar way as I have.

I recently completed an article that explores the situations where 10x42 Binoculars would be better for birding than the more commonly used 7 or 8x42's, which you can read here: 10x42 Binoculars for Bird Watching.

But to summarise, it is true that for the most birding situations (like in forests, gardens etc) a wider field of view is more desirable than a closer/more detailed view (within reason). However in wide open areas or when viewing larger, more predictable birds like at the coast or on lakes, a 10x magnification may be better. This is because you will probably be viewing the birds at further distances and as they don't hop about on branches, you will have no problem following them, even with the slightly smaller FOV you get from a higher powered device.

So whilst it is still a personal choice, I think you also need to ask yourself where or in what situations do you do most of your birding.

I have Nikon Monarch 8x42 and 10x56 binoculars. As others have commented, the 8x42 is a good blend of portability, lighter weight, and magnification. The 10x56 binoculars are more powerful, but to the point where they can be hard to hold steady on a subject - particularly a distant subject. The 10x56 are MUCH heavier. And the 10x56 have a closest focus distance of about 20 feet or so which means I cannot view close subjects.

My general approach is to use the 8x42 binocs when weight is an issue - usually in combination with a scope or camera. I use the 10x56 other times. My wife dislikes the 10x56 binoculars and almost never uses them.

It depends on what you are going to view. I love birds of prey, so I perfer a 10x42 or a 10x50 binocular for distance. For finches and other birds I use a 7x35 or an 8x42 binoculars for a wider field of view.

Mike

I have read enough comments here and in other threads to get the idea that in general 8x42 is preferred. I have purchased both the Nikon Monarch 7 10x42 and 8x42 bins. I do not want to use both since I can't return and want to be able to sell the one I do not keep as new in box. Considering the below specs I only see that the 8x has a brightness advantage of 28.1 over the 17.6 of the 10x. Otherwise they seem fairly even besides the magnification difference. If you had both which would you keep as a set to accompany a Leupold Gold Ring 12-40x60 scope?

http://www.nikon.com/products/sportoptics/lineup/binoculars/monarch/monarch_7/spec.htm

Last edited:
I have read enough comments here and in other threads to get the idea that in general 8x42 is preferred. I have purchased both the Nikon Monarch 7 10x42 and 8x42 bins. I do not want to use both since I can't return and want to be able to sell the one I do not keep as new in box. Considering the below specs I only see that the 8x has a brightness advantage of 28.1 over the 17.6 of the 10x. Otherwise they seem fairly even besides the magnification difference. If you had both which would you keep as a set to accompany a Leupold Gold Ring 12-40x60 scope?

http://www.nikon.com/products/sportoptics/lineup/binoculars/monarch/monarch_7/spec.htm

That is entirely an individual decision, there is no useful rule, at least imho.

The 8x has a noticeably wider field of view and slightly better eye relief, the 10x has more power so that the bird is given in greater detail.
If you have steady hands, the 10x is more rewarding, (at least it is for me,)
but for many birders, the smaller field and the accentuated shake of the 10x are deal breakers.
I think the 8x is less finicky in terms of eye placement, given the wider exit pupil, so it may be more comfortable to look through for long stretches.
Seen that you have a good scope to back up your views, that may be enough to outweigh the higher detail resolution of the 10x, because you will be looking through your glass a lot.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back