• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2016 (1 Viewer)

Big arrival of thrushes today, five species, many hundreds of Redwings in meadow and wood, the latter alive to their songs. Also, very noteworthy, following one a week or so ago, no less than four Woodcocks today - only the eighth record on my land and first involving multiple birds). Also nice a pair of Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers, the male actively drumming (usually a regular resident, but had been absent since the autumn).

White Stork and Great Grey Shrike again.

60. Teal
61. Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
62. Robin
63. Song Thrush
64. Redwing
65. Hawfinch

A less breezy morning meant that without leaving the house I could hear the recently arrived Chiffchaff

56 Chiffchaff

Last edited:
This is not of another bird for the list .
Its to say amazingly wonderful to be able to show my nine month old great granddaughter all the birds in my garden. Yes makes me sound hugely older than the rest of you! Had great grandchildren when I was 68 thats three years ago ,but she's the first one with her mummy on holiday here. All my family live in England I cant travel these days.

Last edited:
That's lovely, Brenda.
I love to show my grand children the birds. Youngest , Oscar, 13 months stopped to listen to a Dunnock singing yesterday.

Thirty or so

Golden Plover (61)

just flew past heading north.

Cool northerly winds stopping migration today, but at least it was bright sun ...and just about warm enough to bring about eight Small Tortoiseshells (all of which were sipping oozing sap rising in birch stumps that had been chomped by Beavers in recent days). Ice in forest pools now beginning to melt, large open patches of water. All pools in open now long-free of ice and first frogs gatherings.

Just two additions to the year list - three Mute Swans flying over (annual) and, rather better, a fine Rough-legged Buzzard directly overhead (tend to see this one every two or three years on my plot).

Remarkably, another two Woodcock today (seven in the last week or so, doubling the number or birds ever).

66. Mute Swan
67. Rough-legged Buzzard

Last edited:
The sun tried to make an appearance this pm - just enough for the year's first

Chiffchaff (62)

singing distantly before the clouds closed in again.

Jos, last year's Rough-legged Buzzard was the best garden bird here - fabulous birds - well done. I'm still hoping for any swan here.

Jos, last year's Rough-legged Buzzard was the best garden bird here - fabulous birds - well done.

Indeed fabulous birds, rather more expected in this neck of the woods than Cheshire, but stunners all the same, especially when cruising over to a sparkling blue sky, eight Cranes as a backdrop.

Cheshire would be a stretch for one, yes. Here, near the moors there's a slight chance of a passing bird. No chance of Cranes though! A spring Osprey is due any day now too - keeping my eyes peeled.

I spent the day in the garden tidying up, and managed my first addition since February 18th. No. 45 a flyover Grey Heron.

Also found a hedgehog in some old hedge trimmings I was moving to burn. The first in the flesh this year. I did catch one on a trail camera on January 6th with the temperature down to -1.

I spent the day in the garden tidying up, and managed my first addition since February 18th. No. 45 a flyover Grey Heron.

Snap! Though unlike you Jabberwocky I was washing up inside when I saw mine this morning, rather than tidying up outside (that's on tomorrow's agenda!):

57 Grey Heron

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back