• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden List 2011 (1 Viewer)

I thought I was going to have to wait until autumn for that.

How many more species might an autumn bring you? ;)

I have a prediction that the tortoise might be due a little rest again very soon, followed by a distinct hibernation (aka hols) for all July, perhaps followed by a little trot in August and September, then a slow crushing death as autumn gives way to the chills.

Last edited:
But what a great bird to have over your garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too right Joanne! We usually get 2 or 3 over the garden each June - always flying low and westwards, we are just 21miles from the continent here. Luckily the Herring gulls are a brilliant early warning system and no large BoPs ever get by unannounced!

64) Canada Goose
65) Sand Martin

I'm slowly adding more species although nothing spectacular recently. The flock of 21 Canada Geese over last week was my highest flock ever and the Sand Martin was a surprise as they are just about annual in spring but not usually at this time of year. Might be able to keep up with Ken and maybe Joanne at this rate ;)

64) Canada Goose
65) Sand Martin

I'm slowly adding more species although nothing spectacular recently. The flock of 21 Canada Geese over last week was my highest flock ever and the Sand Martin was a surprise as they are just about annual in spring but not usually at this time of year. Might be able to keep up with Ken and maybe Joanne at this rate ;)

Welcome to the tail-enders Jonny! ;)

Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers with youngsters in my Vilnius garden these last days, but better have been the butterflies - a Purple Emperor drifting around the garage, and just down the lane (not actually in the garden), two Black Hairstreaks, a White Admiral, a Red Admiral, a Comma and another Purple Emperor.

Slowly down now, had to scan the skies long and hard to get extra new birds today - and eventually there they came - an approaching Honey Buzzard with several Common Swifts soaring through the skies over and beyond. The next new bird of the day came a little later, was watching the Tree Sparrows in the garden's White Stork nest and wondering where the usual one pair of House Sparrows had gone to. scanned the stork nest next door and there they were, House Sparrow chattering inthe base of the nest.

Other news updates, estimated four pairs of Wrynecks on territory this year, Icterine Warblers in good numbers, including my first territory in the regeneration zone, plus a second pair of Red-backed Shrike off behind my raptor point. Also one Crane in the meadow, six flying over very high.

Today was day of baby woodpeckers though - all near the feeding staion, Great Spot, Middle Spot and White-backed Woodpecker all screaming the odds at wayward youngsters!

102. Honey Buzzard
103. Swift.
104. House Sparrow.

Also, both bee hives again occupied. I however remember one particularly painful event with these blighters, I think I am not going to harvest the honey this time!

Last edited:
Wow, House sparrow as 103! Go for the honey, Jos, smoke 'em out!

Was a mistake, er forgot to add the Honey Buzzard!!! House Sparrow was 104 ;)

Also notice that I haven't added Rook or Jackdaw - I must have seen at least Rook, they are often in neighbouring fields. So hopefully two easy year ticks to come. Also forgot to add Tawny Owl, which is kind of funny, they nest in my nestbox! Heard them hooting two weeks back by the box, so a belated extra...

105. Tawny Owl.

Last edited:
85 : WILLOW TIT !!!

In the garden this morning watching the Peregrine on the steeple (still not flown by 7:30) as the young Chiffies & Bullfinches to-ed & fro-ed (Curlew called from the distance) when a Willow tit called twice right beside me then flew across the bramble patch to the hedge, giving a brief view.

Not even had one on patch this year - and never had one from the garden! Mega.
(112 for the garden in total).

85 : WILLOW TIT !!!

In the garden this morning watching the Peregrine on the steeple (still not flown by 7:30) as the young Chiffies & Bullfinches to-ed & fro-ed (Curlew called from the distance) when a Willow tit called twice right beside me then flew across the bramble patch to the hedge, giving a brief view.

Not even had one on patch this year - and never had one from the garden! Mega.
(112 for the garden in total).

How do we know that it wasn't a Marsh Tit!....lacking a pale spot on the upper mandible, and unusually showing a pale wing panel, whilst eliciting Willow Tit 'like' calls?..I'm afraid nothing short of a DNA sample will convince other garden year listers for that one.....;)

How do we know that it wasn't a Marsh Tit!....lacking a pale spot on the upper mandible, and unusually showing a pale wing panel, whilst eliciting Willow Tit 'like' calls?..I'm afraid nothing short of a DNA sample will convince other garden year listers for that one.....;)

:t: DNA sample to follow, with photos, expert witnesses and sat tracking!

:t: DNA sample to follow, with photos, expert witnesses and sat tracking!

halftwo your getting uncomfortably close to my grdn.list total....I'll have to pray to the 'great bird gods in the sky' to conjure up another first!...It's been some time since....

BTW....well done with Willow Tit!....

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back