• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden List 2011 (1 Viewer)

I don't normally keep a yard list, but its been so good this weekend that I had no choice.
Give or take 1 or 2 based on bad memory, I'm at 74 for the year. Added loads the past 3 days as the one huge oak has been loaded with birds - mostly red-eyed vireos (20-25!), pewees and (oddly) house sparrows, but also 14 warblers, 2 other vireos and a yellow-billed cuckoo.
Also screech owl heard last night.

I forgot that I'd had a Spotted Flycatcher on May 31st - I wasn't actually in the garden, I was driving past the back gate when I realised that i hadn't put the bins out. As I stopped it flew out.

Losing ground on you now Jane.
However Canada goose takes us to 102
A very typical date on moult migration to the Beauly Firth. They return in the second half of August.

Rob

The spring arrivals slowing now, today only getting two newcomers - late arriving Spotted Flycatchers and Garden Warblers which I had probabbly overlooked till now.

Nice all the same - Wrynecks now on eggs inthe veranda nestbox, Red-backed Shrikes seemingly nesting in the shrike pile, Golden Orioles warbling all over the shop. Also good woodpecker day - Middle Spot back onthe feeders and both Grey-headed and Black in the swamp forest, not so often I see them in summer.

White Storks by the house with three bouncy babs now, right ugly little blighters.

97 Spotted Flycatcher
98 Garden Warbler

The spring arrivals slowing now, today only getting two newcomers - late arriving Spotted Flycatchers and Garden Warblers which I had probabbly overlooked till now.

Nice all the same - Wrynecks now on eggs inthe veranda nestbox, Red-backed Shrikes seemingly nesting in the shrike pile, Golden Orioles warbling all over the shop. Also good woodpecker day - Middle Spot back onthe feeders and both Grey-headed and Black in the swamp forest, not so often I see them in summer.

White Storks by the house with three bouncy babs now, right ugly little blighters.

97 Spotted Flycatcher
98 Garden Warbler

I'm speechless!......

97 Spotted Flycatcher
98 Garden Warbler

I think we should all move!

It's quite good there, eh, Ken!?

It's clearly an avian paradise!......what 'regional ensemble' do we have in the UK (If any?) to make you want to move back Joss?

PS I,m only 9 behind Joanne!....hoping to close the gap in the Autumn with House Sparrow and Willow Warbler at least. ;)

cheers

Last of the summer breeders arrived, at least five Marsh Warblers singing in overgrown weed patches and, both whilst lazing on the picnic table, a singing Corncrake to bring the year list to 100, and a half hour later, a Quail at almost the same spot!

Great Spotted Woodpeckers now bringing their youngsters to the feeders, Sedge Warblers singing at three localities in the forest.

99. Marsh Warbler.
100. Corncrake.
101. Quail.

All the residents now in place, additions to the list will now get more difficult, though still reasonable chance of a few raptors, a wandering swift, etc, etc.

Sunny & warm - the birds were out today, with Goldcrest and Whitethroat singing as well as the year's first

84 : Skylark

heard from the garden. (they used to breed in adjacent fields.)

My garden, at this time of the year, usually birdless (save for Gulls and magpies) was enlivened by a low flying Honey Buzzard charging westward - attended by several very upset Herring gulls!

My garden, at this time of the year, usually birdless (save for Gulls and magpies) was enlivened by a low flying Honey Buzzard charging westward - attended by several very upset Herring gulls!

But what a great bird to have over your garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back