• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden List 2011 (1 Viewer)

Still languishing on 67...however yesterday I had my first observed Common Whitethroat in the garden..return passage is underway, also c30 Common Swift heading South over Southend Pier....it's all to play for.

Still languishing on 67...however yesterday I had my first observed Common Whitethroat in the garden..return passage is underway, also c30 Common Swift heading South over Southend Pier....it's all to play for.

Bit early yet, Ken?

Swifts around here still singing and feeding young in nests. Maybe they were off to feed in France for the day.

Whitethroats have been feeding young in and around my garden for a week or two now - even getting amongst the climbers (rose, grape vine & kiwi fruit) on the kitchen roof! Which is nice, as that bloke on the Fast Show used to say.
Chiffchaffs on second broods, Blackbirds on at least their third, Song thrushes 2nd. or 3rd., Robins 2nd., and several others, including Blackcaps around the bramble patch at the bottom of the garden. Young Nuthatches & Coal tits have been around too recently.

Oh, I actually saw a Little owl from the garden - a long way off - as opposed to merely hearing them, (05:30 this morning).

H

H
I generally get..If I'm lucky..single CW most years at this time (mid-July), also other warbler species (Reed/Grdn.Warb/WW/and Sedge once only). Post breeding dispersal from 'outside of immediate area' which are not seen during Spring/early Summer.

I still have my local Swifts...but the Southend birds were observed to head South towards the Kent coast (may have been a 'dummy run?').

On occasion in previous years, my local Swifts have departed before July end!

K

H
I generally get..If I'm lucky..single CW most years at this time (mid-July), also other warbler species (Reed/Grdn.Warb/WW/and Sedge once only). Post breeding dispersal from 'outside of immediate area' which are not seen during Spring/early Summer.
I still have my local Swifts...but the Southend birds were observed to head South towards the Kent coast (may have been a 'dummy run?').
On occasion in previous years, my local Swifts have departed before July end!
K

Yes, breeding is two months (incubation c20 days, fledging after an average of 42 days - much variation) so if they settle to nest mid May - sometimes June here before they begin (I remember them in the loft when I was a kid, often no eggs before well into June) - then it's all go around July's end or beginning of August.

Last year a lot (all?) failed to breed and they left in mid July. I suppose there'll always be some non-breeders which won't hang around.

On the warbler-front I'm still to get Reed & Sedge on the garden list - nearest breeders c.6 miles and c.2 miles, respectively.

Right, the rain's stopped and my clothes have dried! Off out.

Last edited:
Predictably I added Storm Petrel an hour ago. Less predictably I also added Goosander earlier - a serious rarity for me, though late summer is the best time.

Predictably I added Storm Petrel an hour ago. Less predictably I also added Goosander earlier - a serious rarity for me, though late summer is the best time.

I added 5 Crossbills including 2 adult males sat on my and neighbours tv arials calling yesterday, I thought this was good...but Storm Petrel? Bloody hell...I think we all want your garden!

I have got breeding Peregrines with 3 fledged juvs constantly on view though which is nice :) Can watch their nest from the end of my bed lol. Things have changed since I started birding! Used to have to head north or west to see them at all

Last edited:
At last!..the 'Currant bun'...broke out! and with it brought a shutter burst of Sand Martins heading South, followed by a Common Tern going North..No.68! and two Hobbies converging from the South..then going their seperate ways. (Hobby maintaining it's position as annually...the second most frequent raptor seen after Sparrowhawk from the house).

115- a Stonechat, slightly unexpectedly, in the front garden this afternoon - 3rd or 4th ever.

116 Common Sandpiper - also less than annual,flew over this evening calling

Last edited:
What's the criteria for this thread - seeing anything from your window/garden whether it lands in the garden or not?

I'll add more later (although won't ever reach some of the heights already mentioned!), but I was really pleased to get my first Willow Warbler in the garden yesterday.

What's the criteria for this thread - seeing anything from your window/garden whether it lands in the garden or not?

Most of us include everything seen or heard from the garden, flyovers included.

78)Redstart; a really young juv but no sign of the parents.

Looks like the garden list competition is hotting up again!

Redstart, wow - don't really expect that here - though....

Looks like the garden list competition is hotting up again!

Redstart, wow - don't really expect that here - though....

Nor here..............only the second time.

It looks like I am on target to better my last years garden total of 79!:-O

This is my list for 2011 from memory, although I've not been recording a garden list this year - I live in a suburban part of Glasgow, so I don't have the advantage of seeing lots of seabirds or raptors or waterfowl, so pretty much standard fare for the location I'm in:

1.Carrion Crow
2.Rook
3.Magpie
4.Jackdaw
5.Herring Gull
6.Lesser Black-backed Gull
7.Black-headed Gull
8.Common Gull
9.Oystercatcher
10.Siskin
11.Greenfinch
12.Chaffinch
13.Blue Tit
14.Coal Tit
15.Great Tit
16.Long-tailed Tit
17.Starling
18.House Sparrow
19.Goldfinch
20.Willow Warbler
21.Sparrowhawk
22.Barn Swallow
23.Swift
24.House Martin
25.Mallard
26.Dunnock
27.Feral Pigeon
28.Wood Pigeon
29.Redwing
30.Waxwing
31.Blackbird
32.Robin

I managed half a Caspian Gull today, unfortunately the other half probably wasn't.

The view from the front room at lunchtime

Attachments

• SANY0005.JPG
    SANY0005.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 56
I managed half a Caspian Gull today, unfortunately the other half probably wasn't.

The view from the front room at lunchtime

I would love that 'garden' view! No wonder you have such a list!

Has anyone come across "Gardening for Wildlife" by Adrian Thomas? It's a brilliant book; the central theme is how you can attract birds (and other wildlife) that are are already nearby into your garden by extending the habitat that is close by into your garden. Earlier this year I reviewed the book for my local OS newsletter. Here is my review:

This inspiring and friendly new book takes wildlife gardening to a new level. Adrian Thomas’s approach is as a naturalist and conservationist and it is this that sets this book apart from others on this subject. He dispels the myth that wildlife gardens have to be wild. This book is about creating habitat for the species you want to attract that are already nearby; about creating the conditions that will make them want to stay. It is full of creative ideas that encourage wildlife and are quite nice for people too. I particularly like the turf seat with arbour over the top. What could be more enticing than relaxing on a turf seat surrounded by fragrant honeysuckle? And what child wouldn’t love the living willow jungle den?

Key species are listed by habitat so you can target the birds and other species you wish to attract by creating the conditions that they like, whether it’s woodland, heathland, wildflower meadow or wetland. He lists 400 top garden plants, from trees to aquatics, plants people want to grow, those that look nice as well as having an appeal for particular creatures. He also includes two pages of ‘weeds’ that are guaranteed wildlife winners and an all-important section on plants to avoid.

Adrian’s attention to detail includes species specific nest box sizes and dimensions. Whatever size your garden, this comprehensive book has practical gardening advice for attracting more birds, butterflies, bees and more to your garden.

''Just in time''...69..I was lucky to get these two angled shots off through the double glazing this morning...7+ months and still no House Sparrow or Willow Warbler!...still am now...c60% through my entire garden list.

cheers

Attachments

• Mystery Grdn.bird 3.jpg
    Mystery Grdn.bird 3.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 40
  • Mystery Grdn.bird 3A.jpg
    Mystery Grdn.bird 3A.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 45
Next door neighbour informed me that they had a Lesser 'pecker on their bird table yeaterday.

After a little quizzing we decided it was a Greater!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back